Sponsored

How to clean up silicon sealant?

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I used some permatex black rtv silicone sealant around the edge of a 3m stick on spoiler, and used my finger to push it into the crevice. After it dries, what would be the best way to remove the excess that is "smooshed" out?

IMG_3527.PNG
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Why 🤔 That's supposed to be used as like an engine gasket maker, not caulk. Given the way it sets up there's no real way to remove excess besides cutting it with some kind of blade, or just pulling the whole bead up. It's also probably going to be a nightmare to remove from the paint if you ever need to.

OP
OP
stannypack

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Why 🤔 That's supposed to be used as like an engine gasket maker, not caulk. Given the way it sets up there's no real way to remove excess besides cutting it with some kind of blade, or just pulling the whole bead up. It's also probably going to be a nightmare to remove from the paint if you ever need to.
the top 3m tape wasn't touching all the way so I needed something gluey to finish bonding the spoiler to the trunk, also saw some other people who did it

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
the top 3m tape wasn't touching all the way so I needed something gluey to finish bonding the spoiler to the trunk, also saw some other people who did it
Yeah unfortunately it doesn't really function as a glue without some torque to squish it down, and even then it's not a great adhesive by any means.

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
Ruh roh.. That's not the right stuff to use. I'd get that off the paint asap. Are there drilled holes that need to be sealed?

Best to remove the excess caulk immediately after its applied. You won't get a smooth finish if you shave silicone with a (plastic) removal tool. Google "remove silicone from auto paint" and "caulk remover". It should come off, but you'll compromise the whole bead and possibly some of the 3M tape.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Oh man, that's not going to be fun at all. You're going to have to start over as I don't think you can remove the excess now that it has cured. Permatex sells a remover but it may attack the paint. I think denatured alcohol may work too. You're looking at a complete removal and do over. Only 3M VHB and adhesion promoter should be used for attaching spoilers.

OP
OP
stannypack

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Any idea why the spoiler didn't seat correctly?
one of them cheap ebay spoilers, top sides lifted up a bit

Oh man, that's not going to be fun at all. You're going to have to start over as I don't think you can remove the excess now that it has cured. Permatex sells a remover but it may attack the paint. I think denatured alcohol may work too. You're looking at a complete removal and do over. Only 3M VHB and adhesion promoter should be used for attaching spoilers.
looks like I'm taking my chances lol, will try cleaning it up tonight since it still hasn't dried fully

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I use silicone at work quite frequently. We in the aviation industry call it RTV. You are not gonna have a fun time removing the excess dried silicone. Typically you have to use a metal scrper or razor blade to remove it, then hit it with MEK or acetone to clean the surface.

Like others have stated. Clean the excess silicone immediately.

OP
OP
stannypack

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I use silicone at work quite frequently. We in the aviation industry call it RTV. You are not gonna have a fun time removing the excess dried silicone. Typically you have to use a metal scrper or razor blade to remove it, then hit it with MEK or acetone to clean the surface.

Like others have stated. Clean the excess silicone immediately.
I'm assuming that also means it'll *hopefully* keep the spoiler lip on?
Sponsored