Sponsored

HOW TO: Add MyFord Touch/Sync 3 to base model S550

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
this says it will
I'm guessing that's for Sync 3 cars that didn't come with Sirius?

I'd be real curious to find the as-built for a Sync 3 car that didn't come with Sirius. I want to find a way to remove that as a source and I'm guessing those cars would have a digit flipped somewhere that does it.
Sponsored

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Based on the schematics it might be possible. The base car shows wiring for SDARS. (Some of it will need to be added) The question is did any base car (on any Ford platform) have an APIM capable of receiving the data from the SDARS equipped ACM.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I'd be real curious to find the as-built for a Sync 3 car that didn't come with Sirius. I want to find a way to remove that as a source and I'm guessing those cars would have a digit flipped somewhere that does it.
Sync 3 equipped Mustangs without Sirius don't exist. It was standard as part of 400A and 401A

Last edited:

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
I will find out. If it doesn't work , I'll do a sync3 upgrade

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Yeah, buying the ACM gets you half way there. I saw the webpage, it clearly showed a base screen with Sirius. Mustang never had that as an option, it appears that Ford is using common electronics amongst certain cars. This makes me think you could save money buying Sync 3 parts from trucks and cars produced in higher numbers.
The electronics would need to be the same generation though!

Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Yeah, buying the ACM gets you half way there. I saw the webpage, it clearly showed a base screen with Sirius. Mustang never had that as an option, it appears that Ford is using common electronics amongst certain cars. This makes me think you could save money buying Sync 3 parts from trucks and cars produced in higher numbers.
You can use a Sync 3 screen/APIM from a different car, the problem is the brackets which can be specific to certain models. If we had an aftermarket source for the brackets, it would open up our options a bunch.

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
all i want is sirius..... if this works then ill be happy

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
You can use a Sync 3 screen/APIM from a different car, the problem is the brackets which can be specific to certain models. If we had an aftermarket source for the brackets, it would open up our options a bunch.

[MENTION=29252]mgrey[/MENTION] has the hookup on those

KevinG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP 6SPD Recaros w/black roof

Sponsored

sv9999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Prem
I would suggest reading the original post in this thread..all your questions should be answered there or somewhere else in this thread. I'm not familiar with the base swap, but there is some wiring required. You will need some other parts, possible a gps antenna and a usb hub. Again, this should all be in the original post.

This is the lowest price I have seen, because it comes bundled with a bezel. Note the listing is for a MFT/Sync 2 unit, and not the current-gen Sync 3 (which will be more expensive).

FWIW there are knockoff bundles listed for $270 on eBay, and this is OEM. Not my listing so I couldn't tell you any more about it.

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
I currently have a 2015 with base system and I just purchased a sync 2 MFT screen/APIM and premium bezel. I am aware of the wiring that needs to be done but how do I go about getting the programming done so everything works as it should? Is anyone currently offering a service for the programming?

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I currently have a 2015 with base system and I just purchased a sync 2 MFT screen/APIM and premium bezel. I am aware of the wiring that needs to be done but how do I go about getting the programming done so everything works as it should? Is anyone currently offering a service for the programming?
All you need is FORScan and a pass-thru device to change some of the hex values. You can do it yourself, no need to pay anyone

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Just to add to this thread; now that we collectively know what we know there is NO reason to swap base to MFT, MFT IS JUNK. It failed our OEM competitor testing full stop. (I work for a Ford competitor) I understand the attraction, price. But when you consider that Sync 3 cars from 16-17 are becoming more and more common in salvage facilities AND the modules are the same regardless of platform, Mustang or CMAX, there is no reason to buy MFT. You are honestly wasting your money.

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
Just to add to this thread; now that we collectively know what we know there is NO reason to swap base to MFT, MFT IS JUNK. It failed our OEM competitor testing full stop. (I work for a Ford competitor) I understand the attraction, price. But when you consider that Sync 3 cars from 16-17 are becoming more and more common in salvage facilities AND the modules are the same regardless of platform, Mustang or CMAX, there is no reason to buy MFT. You are honestly wasting your money.
I’m curious about what makes sync 3 better. I have a base system and think it is fine except the screen size. I have never even used the voice commands. If sync 3 has something worth while I wouldn’t mind spending the extra money but I am not very tech savvy so I need some help.
Sponsored