HOW TO: Add MyFord Touch/Sync 3 to base model S550

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
This may have been posted before but came across this website that apparently sales the Sync upgrade kit, among other things, for Ford vehicles. Just thought it was interesting and wanted to share. They have some interesting stuff.

https://www.infotainment.com/collections/all/products/4-sync-to-8-sync-3-custom-touchscreen-upgrade

Edit: Just realized this is OEMRadio I believe...
No that is a company which used to be OEM Auto Parts Co, not Jesse aka OEMRadio
Sponsored

RedfireV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
^Gotcha.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
[MENTION=22823]X0AYHAM0X[/MENTION] AND [MENTION=29038]mustangmike86[/MENTION] Could you guys PM me?

HARNESS UPDATE

OK did some more digging, If you have a 2017 Base car and want Sync 3 it appears that you do not have to swap any wires, you just have to add MS CAN and maybe camera.
I'm basing this on the Ford 2017 Mustang Wiring Diagram book (Grey). When comparing the base vs premium Sync 3 schematic everything is the same except MS CAN is at the GPSM (so remove terminals 2 and 3 from the GPSM and move them to the APIM 16 and 17) Even better according to the book, the reverse camera terminals 14 (WH/GN) and 15 (BN/VT) should already be populated. If not just grab them from the 4.2 display.
The pins mentioned earlier 5-6 (Voice Control) 23-24-25-26 (SAT DIG R/L) are already in the proper place.
In addition pins 9, 10, 11, 28, 29 are not used because they were for the media module AUX inputs.

If your adding MFT/SYNC 2 to a 2017 you will need to add the wires for the media module.

I have also received the ACM connectors (Yazaki 7287-2047-30 and 7288-3682-30F) These connectors use two different terminals, one is .64mm and the other is 2.8, Unfortunately the smaller female terminals (TE#1456841-1) are on are lock down from Yazaki Tyco makes these for Yazaki but unless you're given permission to purchase them by Yazaki you cant. I'm trying to get permission to purchase them. The smaller male terminals (TE# 1924275-1) are on backorder at onlinecomponents.com
The larger terminals (TE#7116-4111-02 and 7114-4111-02) are available in quantity so I ordered 20 of each but they aren't available to the public.
I hope to build these with RCA outputs for easy integration.

I'll keep everyone updated. I'm working on a write up that makes all of this as easy as possible and also compares a properly configured ACM to a Pioneer AVIC unit. We are using a $60K oscilloscope to measure frequency response of both.

Regardless of the outcome my advice to anyone upgrading their stereo is to use the new Helix DSP.2, it asynchronously takes the digital signal from your Droid or iOS device and then does the processing. This skips the unnecessary D/A to A/D conversion that most people are still dong. If you're listening to FM/AM/HD radio, SAT, Pandora, etc. on ANY HU its pointless to worry about a flat signal response or stereo separation. Those sources all have faults that a proper set up will reveal quickly.
Keeping high quality digital copies of music on your device is a better option by far.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Huge thanks for all your work and research!

So does it appear that Ford changed the wiring harness spec on the 2017 base cars? Is it possible that this was a mid-year change, because I have a very early 2017 build and in other areas, there are a few things that my car has more in common with 2016's than 2017's.

ETA: also looking forward to your ACM vs Pioneer comparo. If you dig around other forums there was a guy who did some testing. The signal was pretty clean, but not all of the factory DSP was eliminated. I think there was still some low-volume bass boost and some high-volume bass attenuation happening. But it's probably more than good enough for the non-audiophiles among us.

Last edited:

mgrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Convertible - V6
HARNESS UPDATE

OK did some more digging, If you have a 2017 Base car and want Sync 3 it appears that you do not have to swap any wires, you just have to add MS CAN and maybe camera.
I'm basing this on the Ford 2017 Mustang Wiring Diagram book (Grey). When comparing the base vs premium Sync 3 schematic everything is the same except MS CAN is at the GPSM (so remove terminals 2 and 3 from the GPSM and move them to the APIM 16 and 17) Even better according to the book, the reverse camera terminals 14 (WH/GN) and 15 (BN/VT) should already be populated. If not just grab them from the 4.2 display.
The pins mentioned earlier 5-6 (Voice Control) 23-24-25-26 (SAT DIG R/L) are already in the proper place.
In addition pins 9, 10, 11, 28, 29 are not used because they were for the media module AUX inputs.

If your adding MFT/SYNC 2 to a 2017 you will need to add the wires for the media module.
Thanks Hextall,

Any chance that you could provide the wiring diagram for the 2017 base cars. My v6 convertible was build in February 2017, want to ensure I get the wiring done properly for a MFT/SYNC 2 system.

Great work and again, thanks for all the effort on this.

Sponsored

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
^^^Yes me too please...or where I might find it myself/purchase.(wiring diagram Base '17)

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
[MENTION=25607]Spart[/MENTION], if you can pull your trim panels off to access the connectors I can verify.
I'm going to scan the diagrams tomorrow and post here.
Waiting to see if Yazaki will give me a Letter of Approval to purchase the female terminals for the ACM.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
[MENTION=25607]Spart[/MENTION], if you can pull your trim panels off to access the connectors I can verify.
I'm going to scan the diagrams tomorrow and post here.
Waiting to see if Yazaki will give me a Letter of Approval to purchase the female terminals for the ACM.
Cool. I will try to remember to get detailed pics when I have it apart. My car is either a June or July of 2016 build (2017 model year.)

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
When you pull it apart give me a call or text me. I think I have you my number in PM. I'll verify what you actually have. If a difference is found it will help moving forward.

mgrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Convertible - V6
When you pull it apart give me a call or text me. I think I have you my number in PM. I'll verify what you actually have. If a difference is found it will help moving forward.
Thanks...I'm going to be away for about a week...I'll take a look next week and get back to you.

Sponsored

RedfireV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
^Yay!

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Should I go ahead and tear her down? I was waiting on your harness, but if I only need to move two measly wires...

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I confirmed a 2017 built in December of 16 does indeed have the wiring in the Ford book. I'm waiting for others to look at what they have. Will have to go on a car by car basis most likely.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Hmmmm.... I want.....

[ame]

Trying to figure out the programming now!
Sponsored