1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Hey everyone. So I have only the sync Nav unit (screen and APIM) coming in. This unit has Sync 3 2.2 on it, so CarPlay and Android Auto are supported. I still need to get the GPS antenna for the GPS to work. I have MFT in my car right now. If I hook up this Sync 3 unit, will Android Auto work? I know that CarPlay will not and I need a new media hub in the center console. I am planning on getting the media hub, but does anyone have the media hub adapter or know where could I purchase one?

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Hey everyone. So I have only the sync Nav unit (screen and APIM) coming in. This unit has Sync 3 2.2 on it, so CarPlay and Android Auto are supported. I still need to get the GPS antenna for the GPS to work. I have MFT in my car right now. If I hook up this Sync 3 unit, will Android Auto work? I know that CarPlay will not and I need a new media hub in the center console. I am planning on getting the media hub, but does anyone have the media hub adapter or know where could I purchase one?
No need for GPS antenna. Your car should already have one. I upgraded my base model with MFT and did not have to install an antenna.

Sponsored

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
No need for GPS antenna. Your car should already have one. I upgraded my base model with MFT and did not have to install an antenna.
Was your MFT unit a non navigation one?

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
He does need a new antenna separate GPS antenna. MFT used a GPS module connected through can bus to the unit. Sync 3 uses a standalone GPS antenna connected directly to the Sync unit. The GPSM in his car will have to be removed (or simply unplugged) to avoid interference and a malfunctioning compass.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
He does need a new antenna separate GPS antenna. MFT used a GPS module connected through can bus to the unit. Sync 3 uses a standalone GPS antenna connected directly to the Sync unit. The GPSM in his car will have to be removed (or simply unplugged) to avoid interference and a malfunctioning compass.
Ah, I was unaware that there was a difference. My apologies. Thanks for clarifying.
Sorry, [MENTION=17191]mindys[/MENTION]

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Thanks for the info. The GPSM is located behind the sync unit or behind the instrument cluster? Also, do you know if Android Auto works without an upgraded media hub? And last question: I plan on getting the media hub that supports CarPlay anyways, is there a wiring diagram for making a media hub adapter because I believe the one currently in my car (the one with an SD card reader and one USB port) uses a different connector than the one that supports CarPlay.

Sponsored

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Ah, I was unaware that there was a difference. My apologies. Thanks for clarifying.
Sorry, [MENTION=17191]mindys[/MENTION]
It's all good. Thank for trying to help :cheers:

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Thanks for the info. The GPSM is located behind the sync unit or behind the instrument cluster? Also, do you know if Android Auto works without an upgraded media hub? And last question: I plan on getting the media hub that supports CarPlay anyways, is there a wiring diagram for making a media hub adapter because I believe the one currently in my car (the one with an SD card reader and one USB port) uses a different connector than the one that supports CarPlay.
I simply ran the new GPS antenna and Sync 3 nav works without a hitch. Android Auto works just fine without the hub but you will get a USB Hub error every time you start the car until you install the new Hub. In order to install the new hub you will need a WPT-1239 pigtail wired in. DanMC85 was kind enough to do a walkthrough of the install on his focus (it is the same install) over here:

http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=3881&pid=94199#pid94199

I did not use his two port part number because that part disables the fromt USB port. Instead I used a HU5Z-19A387-A single port but I think this one has been replaced with a new model or is no longer available.I believe the Lincoln version is GR3Z-19A387-B which has worked well for others.

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
I simply ran the new GPS antenna and Sync 3 nav works without a hitch. Android Auto works just fine without the hub but you will get a USB Hub error every time you start the car until you install the new Hub. In order to install the new hub you will need a WPT-1239 pigtail wired in. DanMC85 was kind enough to do a walkthrough of the install on his focus (it is the same install) over here:

http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=3881&pid=94199#pid94199

I did not use his two port part number because that part disables the fromt USB port. Instead I used a HU5Z-19A387-A single port but I think this one has been replaced with a new model or is no longer available.I believe the Lincoln version is GR3Z-19A387-B which has worked well for others.
Thanks. Yeah I read that the two port disables the front USB port, so I will go with the single one. My biggest concern is getting the pigtails, but it seems you got me the information that I needed. I appreciate it buddy :cheers:

X0AYHAM0X

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 V6

Avery202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 silver Mustang
Is there away I can add the nav or HD Radio or both to my unit it's after market from moddiction
Sponsored