Sponsored

How many of you have driven a GT350 vs GT PP?

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Pictures of '18 digital gauge display shows 7,400 redline (another has 6,500 ecoboost?). 6,600 to 7,400 would be a significant jump but have no direct effect on daily driving. Especially with driving style that makes '17 GT feel faster than GT350.
Sponsored

My_Coyote

Howl'n in the Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hell, 90% can't drive a GT PP to it's full capabilities. Cars are amazing now, ours are very capable.

Mustang week shows many behind the wheel of the GT are not worthy
to own such a car

OP
OP
c-rizzle

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
BTW, I have participated in quite a few HPDEs on road courses. None yet with my 2017 as I've been waiting to actually break it in.

But my point was from a pure engine, acceleration, and gearing standpoint the GT350 does not feel very different.

Unfortunately I had no chance to push the GT350 hard around any corners.

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
Several of my track rats friends have the 350 while I have a semi modified GT PP 6spd. We run together around our various tracks.. switch cars, all the same. I'm happy saving the extra cash to pay for tires. Michelin PS Cup 2's

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I think the gearing really softens the aggressiveness of the engine.
The gearing is tall and long for the GT350 because Ford thinks people can't drive so they have to gear it taller for better traction.
I do not think the gearing is due to cars and coffee crowd, rather to make it a better car on the race track that has corners.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I do not think the gearing is due to cars and coffee crowd, rather to make it a better car on the race track that has corners.
This.

Also on the sound: the GT350 does have ANC. It cancels some of the less-than-wonderful frequencies of the flat plane but is not accentuating them. Drive it with the windows open and exhaust in Sport mode. Speakers aren't creating that.

OP
OP
c-rizzle

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Several of my track rats friends have the 350 while I have a semi modified GT PP 6spd. We run together around our various tracks.. switch cars, all the same. I'm happy saving the extra cash to pay for tires. Michelin PS Cup 2's
That was my point. My stock GT PP feels basically the same.

A slightly modded GT would basically keep up with the GT350 for the most part.

Put the Ford Racing Power Pack 2 on for $750+-, and you get 40 more lbs torque down low where you can use it the most, and 21 more hp peak and still be "under Ford warranty*" (**yes Ford Racing warranty).

Saves $22k... considering most GT350s new are selling for $60k+-, and I got my loaded GT Premium w/ PP, Recaros, Nav, etc. for $38k.

Once the 2018's come out, I think the higher RPM, higher HP/Torque, and available MagneRide shocks are going to REALLY level the playing field between a GT PP and GT350. Then Ford will launch the GT500.

OP
OP
c-rizzle

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
This.

Also on the sound: the GT350 does have ANC. It cancels some of the less-than-wonderful frequencies of the flat plane but is not accentuating them. Drive it with the windows open and exhaust in Sport mode. Speakers aren't creating that.
The exhaust note outside the car is nice. I was just saying what I was hearing inside, some of the raspiness high/middle range sounds I believe were coming from the rear speakers. My ears could hear the direction it was coming from. The speakers are filling in the higher/mid notes that get filtered by being in the cabin. It's trying to replicate the same sound you hear outside the car.

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
As a bonus bet the MagnaRide rides even smoother than GT350. I'm talking slightly softer just to maintain correct handling balance. Probably same hardware and electronics with different tuning and slightly softer springs to match the slightly skinner tires. A tunable aftermarket computer would make upgrading springs and playing with damper setting much easier. So if you got track tires. You could just upload unique settings into the computer. Unfortunately that ecu is 1200 or 1300.

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
I think the GT350 is the better daily. Keep it under 3500 rpms and it still pulls decent but otherwise it is tame. Good for cruising around and just relaxing. When its time to have some fun, crank her past 3500 and you'll get a kick in the butt around 4k and another kick at 6k that will rip you a new one all the way until 8250.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Well first gear on a gt350 is pretty long for better traction.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Up here, a base PP is $44K Canadian, a GT350 (non R) is $75K. With taxes the spread between the two is about $34-35K, actually more than that because you can get a base PP for well under list whereas GT350s still seem to be selling at or above list up here.

I think a PP with $10K spent on it appropriately would give a non R GT350 a hard time on a road course, driver, wheels and tires being equal. Long tubes, Stage 3 engine kit, quality suspension pieces (springs, shocks, bars, bushings), some weight deletion and the PP is right in the ball park. Heat in the PP would likely be a bigger issue though after a few laps.

But it's still just a GT, right? There's something about that snake on the grille.

Crossroads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP FRPP2
Better suspension, definitely, except if you get the 18 PP with magnaride. But google Ford voodoo engine problems and you will see why a coyote, and the extra money in your pocket for upgrades may be a better choice.

The voodoo is only two years old and seems to be showing a lot of significant problems.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app