Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
8D50E065-824B-484B-95D5-8FBF0B443A7D.jpeg
One of my kids sent me this, I’m 76, lucky enough to be still playing tennis 4 times a week.

Hi - I don’t know if the forum has defined senior, but the definition is like shifting sands on a desert. In the old days, the age was most often 62 because that was the earliest one could apply for regular Social Security, albeit at a reduced amount, while others stuck with age 65 for the full benefit. Ages 62 and 65 were also the point at which one could typically retire and be eligible for retirement benefits at private employers. Then along came the American Association for Retired Persons which set an even earlier membership eligibility age (55 as I recall). The other aspect was the proliferation of senior citizens discounts. For a competitive advantage some retailers lowered the discount age. The problems with lowering the age definition too much is that we are all living to an older age now and that means more people in the “senior” demographic just thru normal attrition. All of my comments are tainted with generalizations, so take your pick. My only suggestion as a true senior (78) is don’t be in a hurry to become one as it will sneak up on you faster than you realize... Bruce

P.S. We used to equate senior citizens with those who looked old and/or were retired, but today many seniors are working into their 70s, some by choice and others out of necessity. Modern medicine, replacement parts, etc, are keeping many of us more active and vibrant in our old age. Now the retirement communities and nursing homes are recruiting us.
Sponsored

Moonhowl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium, 2018 Nissan Frontier, 2000 Harley
After my last motorcycle accident, I lost my enthusiasm for riding. Too many people texting while driving. I probably spent as much time wrenching on them as I did riding. All my bikes were heavily modded. Motorcycle mods are a lot less expensive than car mods.

I’m 68 and retired. I could never afford a Mustang when I was younger. I did buy a new short bed F150 with a 5.0 liter V8 and a 6-speed back in 1985. That year Ford had EFI while GM was still screwing around with carburetors. Man, that truck could dance! Insurance was affordable because it was a truck. I put over 300k miles on her.

I’m an engineer. My company built the production equipment to manufacture and calibrate Ford’s MAFS, and GM’s fuel rails, TBIs, and emission control devices. It’s nice to be familiar with all that stuff under the hood. Now that I’m 68, I can finally afford the car I want. I ordered a black Mustang GT Premium 6-speed with 401A, spoiler delete and the black accent package. It’s currently sitting at Flat Rock awaiting transport to my dealer. My first mods will be Steeda jacking rails, Hurst Indy short throw shifter, Rousch x-pipe, and sound tube delete.

I cashed in a bit of my 401k and am paying cash. Life is good.

dequardo50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Premium. Magnetic. 6sp auto.
Nicely done. Enjoy!

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
After my last motorcycle accident, I lost my enthusiasm for riding. Too many people texting while driving. I probably spent as much time wrenching on them as I did riding. All my bikes were heavily modded. Motorcycle mods are a lot less expensive than car mods.

I’m 68 and retired. I could never afford a Mustang when I was younger. I did buy a new short bed F150 with a 5.0 liter V8 and a 6-speed back in 1985. That year Ford had EFI while GM was still screwing around with carburetors. Man, that truck could dance! Insurance was affordable because it was a truck. I put over 300k miles on her.

I’m an engineer. My company built the production equipment to manufacture and calibrate Ford’s MAFS, and GM’s fuel rails, TBIs, and emission control devices. It’s nice to be familiar with all that stuff under the hood. Now that I’m 68, I can finally afford the car I want. I ordered a black Mustang GT Premium 6-speed with 401A, spoiler delete and the black accent package. It’s currently sitting at Flat Rock awaiting transport to my dealer. My first mods will be Steeda jacking rails, Hurst Indy short throw shifter, Rousch x-pipe, and sound tube delete.

Gteat story Moonhowl. That is one benefit of getting older, we can afford these pricey but fun toys!

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
I hear you Moon. Life is short and you only go around once so leave nothing on the table...
He who dies with the most toys WINS...
Congrats..

Sponsored

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
Congrats on the purchase. IMO, actually, Ford built a fantastic time machine with the 6th gen. 'Stang. You'll feel like you're 20 again when you drive it. A word of caution...an x-pipe will make your car EXTREMELY loud and raspy. An H-pipe will be a "TAD" quieter and have a lower tone. I can't recall if your car will have the variable exhaust or not. If it does, it will already be loud. Do a forum search here on the topic.

Anyhoo, have fun !! BTW I'm 75 going on 21
:rockon:

Frank

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Kona Blue A10
72 here. Can't remember if I am a senior or not!
I love it you all give me hope I'm 63 got my car last year for my retirement gift to me. My best bud (64)was waiting on his 2020 GT500 paid fifty grand down and it was a week out and unfortunately he passed 27 years US Army,and retired federal employee. We had so many plans so enjoy yourself as I am doing.
20200801_100941.jpg
Three weeks ago put a Whipple supercharger on it and i'm in love all over again.

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
I'm 62 having just retired June first and going to the dealer tomorrow to see about trading in my wifes 2015 EB and ordering a 2020 GT Premium....Time to tap the 401K....I don't want to be the richest guy in cemetery.

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
64 1/2 here. Like others in this thread I saved as much as I could most of my life. I paid cash for the balance after trade in on my 2019 GT Prem. Not sure I would condone taking a loan out on a muscle car and then start adding performance parts while trying to pay the note.

Sponsored

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm 62 having just retired June first and going to the dealer tomorrow to see about trading in my wifes 2015 EB and ordering a 2020 GT Premium....Time to tap the 401K....I don't want to be the richest guy in cemetery.
YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.....................good for you. I waited too damn long before I bought my 2nd Mustang. (70 then, now 75 )
First 'Stang was a 289 in 1965. I missed a lot of good Mustangs in between. :frown: Regrets...Yes.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi -As we enter our senior years we begin to think a little more seriously about our mortality. At times, life can seem like it's a roll of the dice. A lot of how long we live and how healthy we are is genetics. Did you inherit good or bad genes? Yes, lifestyle, personal decisions, modern medicine, luck, etc, can definitely play a role. However, we all know examples of friends who seemed to live right but died much earlier than the norm. Actuarial tables can provide average life expectancy numbers. If you check those, remember that once you live to age 65, life expectancy jumps up a few years from the overall lifetime averages from birth. Also remember, those are just averages and are only numbers. If one has a life partner (spouse, etc.), that person's well being will affect both parties. So, yes we should enjoy our senior years as much as possible, practical and while we can. Being car guys means we can hopefully finally justify or afford to buy that fun car we always dreamed about or perhaps restore a car that has been hibernating in the garage or barn. For some lucky folks it just means one more fun car. I suggest not procrastinating: "On the sands of hesitation lay the bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory sat down to wait, and waiting died."(Wilkes, et.al). So "Go for it" as my wife suggested when I wanted to get that GTO in 2010 and the Bullitt last year. The odds are in favor of not regretting those decisions. This is just intended to be a philosophical bit of encouragement and not to start a debate of whether becoming a vegan or whatever will result in living longer. At age 78, I say live for today. We don't know if there will be a tomorrow and may not be able to remember yesterday, so live for today. Happy travels and good health... Bruce

53EA87EE-81AF-4DAC-BC01-36E751F3E03A.jpeg

Last edited:

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi -As we approach our senior years we begin to think a little more seriously about our mortality. At times, life can seem like it's a roll of the dice? A lot of how long we live and how healthy we are is genetics. Did you inherit good or bad genes? Yes, lifestyle, good decisions, modern medicine and plain old good luck can definitely play a role. However, we all know examples of friends who seemed to live right but died much earlier than the norm. Actuarial tables can provide average life expectancy numbers. If you check those, remember that once you live to age 65, life expectancy jumps up a few years from the overall lifetime averages from birth. Also remember, those are just averages and are only numbers. If one has a life partner (spouse, etc.), that person's well being will affect both parties. So, yes we should enjoy our senior years as much as possible and practical and while we can. Being cars guys means we can hopefully finally justify or afford to buy that fun car we always dreamed about or perhaps restore a car that has been hibernating. For some lucky folks it just means one more fun car. I suggest not procrastinating: "On the sands of hesitation lay the bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory sat down to wait, and waiting died."(Wilkes, et.al). So "Go for it" as my wife suggested when I wanted to get that GTO in 2010 and the Bullitt last year. The odds are in favor of not regretting that decision. This is just intended to be a philosophical bit of encouragement and not to start a debate of whether becoming a vegan or whatever will result in living longer. At age 78, I say live for today. We don't know if there will be a tomorrow and may not be able to remember yesterday, so live for today. Happy travels and good health... Bruce

53EA87EE-81AF-4DAC-BC01-36E751F3E03A.jpeg
Lemme guess. You like them both but you like the 'Stang the best ????? :handsinair: Luv your license plates!!

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1