How do you read forum threads?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Hello; I have owned both. I bought a used 1972 Porsche 914 in 1974. I owned it for 12 years and do know how much work and service it required. In fact when it became known I could adjust the solid valve lifters on the engines I had a small sideline of work on the engines. Morphed into my doing some service work on imports. Had a buddy with a 1972 911 which I did lots of work on.
To me the worst was a 1974 jaguar XJ -6 a guy had. Not only was it very hard to work on the parts were sky high. I can recall going to pick up a water pump for it. This was when I could get a water pump for Detroit iron for around $35. The jag water pump was well over $300 and was a bear to replace.
The best jaguar story was about a 1950's model. It had a positive ground system. Forget the exact model, maybe a XJ-150. A two seater with a very long hood and a straight six. The owner wanted a modern radio installed. I knew of the positive ground issue and made a wooden insert so the new radio would not touch any metal. Same for the speakers. Turned out OK. Had it playing just fine.
I had no reason to drive it so had not done so. The owner came by to get it and was pleased for a while. He drove away and within a moment had turned around and came back. I had forgotten about the radio antennae. with the engine running the cable to the antennae was essentially a resistance to the electricity and had caused the carpet to star to smoke as it got hot. Had to do some more work and replace some carpet. Not too long after the car was totaled when the owner was turning off the highway and was rear ended. I had nothing to do with that thank goodness.
Your Jaguar story is priceless! Also a good warning to me... I have been toying with buying a used Jaguar F-Type S V8 or F-Type R. Please stop me!
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Your Jaguar story is priceless! Also a good warning to me... I have been toying with buying a used Jaguar F-Type S V8 or F-Type R. Please stop me!
Hello; I have no experience with the later model Jags. I think they were owned by Ford at some point. Not sure who owns jag now. maybe a company in India?
But yes I had thoughts about the newest F type, but do not have that much confidence in them. Sure are pretty tho.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I like to type random sh!t just to see how it’s received. Most of the threads on here are to dumb to warrant a serious response.