Sponsored

How close can exhaust parts safely get to the gas tank?

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Hey everyone! I've got a 2015 GT PP with headers and a Frankenstein exhaust after. After a bunch of different setups, I decided to do the Ford Racing side exit exhaust with a Magnaflow resonator right after. I cut the ends of the FR x-pipe so that the resonator sits just a couple inches behind it. After the resonator, it is standard piping back to Borla S-type mufflers. I wanted the side exit exhaust because I could change the volume of the exhaust for track days (closed baffles for tracks with noise restrictions). My concern is that the last couple inches of the resonator sit underneath the gas tank. I really have no idea how hot that resonator gets, but it sits about a finger space underneath the tank. I figured I could get some heat shielding or exhaust wrap, but is there a rule of thumb for how close you can get? Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Put some exhaust wrap and call it a day. Just my opinion.

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
If it's a straight-through style muffler it shouldn't retain too much heat, but a layer of header wrap would probably be a good idea!

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a PYPES mid mount system and the resonators sit directly under the tank. This was a concern for me as well, but I have not noticed anything abornal post-install.
Sponsored