Sponsored

How bad is it

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
My coolant was low so I went and got some concentrate today and started adding. The shop I bought it from is an OEM distributor so I figured they would know their stuff. I thought it odd that it was green when I was pouring it in. VC-13-G is what they sold me. I thought the coolant was orange... or am I thinking GM?

Put a little over a gallon of 50/50 in the reservoir. Is this the right stuff or did I make a huge mistake?
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Put a little over a gallon of 50/50 in the reservoir.
WHAT?!? That's A LOT of air in your system man. The reservoir must take like 2 quarts max, no? So you were at least a quart short inside the system. It's enough to cause cavitation on the water pump, and overheat your engine. Hopefully that didn't happen. Remember to ALWAYS check coolant level on any new car from now on, and top it off periodically until the system stabilizes, which can take several thousand miles, since it requires a few dozen cold-hot-cold cycles. Keep an eye on the reservoir; you'll have to top it off several times more.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
WHAT?!? That's A LOT of air in your system man. The reservoir must take like 2 quarts max, no? So you were at least a quart short inside the system. It's enough to cause cavitation on the water pump, and overheat your engine. Hopefully that didn't happen. Remember to ALWAYS check coolant level on any new car from now on, and top it off periodically until the system stabilizes, which can take several thousand miles, since it requires a few dozen cold-hot-cold cycles. Keep an eye on the reservoir; you'll have to top it off several times more.
Yep. Its been fill, drive with heater on, fill, drive with heater on, fill... and it's 70F here during the day. Not fun driving with the heater on. Apparently when I had my aftermarket radiator installed, the guy who did it didn't add coolant. Not happy at all about this.
Sponsored