Sponsored

How are you changing oil & filter at home

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Yup, filter swap...

My wide mouth catch can does OK for not spilling during the oil pan dump unless the wind is blowing once it gets down to a trickle.

I might have to give the bucket a try. How well does it pour out? I usually put the used oil into the empty oil bottle. Hopefully my funnel is big enough.
I don't pour it out. I take buckets to my local dump site, they empty them into their storage and give buckets back to me. Since these buckets have very good lids it makes everything stupid simple.
Sponsored

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
Quick jack and a big oil pan

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
With an old empty qt oul
Does oil still get on the under carriage? My power steering wires are directly below and get all oily if I let it go its own way. So do several pieces of metal. Not that big of a deal for the metal but cleaning it up is an added pain and it still is a magnetic for dirt. I'm not a big fan of the wires and tape wrap holding them together getting soaked with oil though...

I've been using one of those moldable 'funnels' (more of a chute) but damned if it hasn't been a mess the past few times...
I read a post that suggested covering the wires with tin foil. It will stay in place. Used it once worked well, keeps the oil off the wiring.

A little more work, use a quart oil bottle and perform surgery on it.

The side shot shows the depth of the cut. Shove it up and under the filter, and it holds itself in place.

Loosen the filter and let it drain, with the catch can under it.
Remove the cap. When drained replace the cap and pull the bottle, remove the filter.

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 10.12.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 10.21.50 PM.png

Last edited:

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
I might try that quart bottle trick next time. I’ve been using aluminum foil, works ok but still not ideal.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I might try that quart bottle trick next time. I’ve been using aluminum foil, works ok but still not ideal.

2 things aluminum foil is good at, staying on the wire harness, and keeping it dry.
Still messy

Sponsored

OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Changed oil and filter at home with the race ramps. It wasn't bad. The only hiccup was I only had one gallon of 5W-40, so I had to run to walmart to get a second gallon. Appreciate all the feedback.

OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Remove drain plug. Change filter. Replace drain plug. Clean/wipe. Done.

9CD85822-C45B-424B-BE7E-1EA03EBFA76C.jpeg
I am going to build the same wood blocks. How do you jack it up, using 1 or 2 hydraulic floor jacks?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I am going to build the same wood blocks. How do you jack it up, using 1 or 2 hydraulic floor jacks?
Usually just one bigger one, but 2 makes it way easier. Those cribs are 2 piece. (2) 6” cribs stacked on each corners. I really don’t use them for oil changes though. Just one front corner jacked up high enough to get at the filter/drain plug.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP