Sponsored

How are Drive Modes changed by the Cobb Tuning?

Mojo_Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
One of the things that I really enjoy with my EcoBoost Premium is the adjustable Drive Modes. It’s great to be able to easily change the throttle response / stability intervention / steering heft / transmission shift points. Also, it seems like the factory Drive Modes adjust how much / when boost builds.

For those of you with EcoBoost Premiums and the Cobb Tune, I’m wondering what you’ve noticed about how the behavior Drive Modes have been changed.
Sponsored

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Ecoboost Premium
Same way as with stock. Nothing has changed. Just extra power. I don't think they modified shifts like other tuners (Unleashed Tuning, for example) did

COBB Tuning

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AT EcoBoost, MT PP EcoBoost
Same way as with stock. Nothing has changed. Just extra power. I don't think they modified shifts like other tuners (Unleashed Tuning, for example) did
We change the Sport, Sport+, and Track drive mode settings. First and foremost we de-sensitize the overly aggressive pedal translation in these modes to make things feel a bit more natural and progressive. They are still more aggressive than the Stock mode, but not nearly as bold as the OEM settings.

Additionally, we change the shift pressures and torque reduction settings for a few of the early shifts to enhance the driving experience when pushing the car hard off the line.

In the future as we put more mileage and parts on the car we will continue to adjust the transmission settings as needed, and requested, to produce the ultimate driving experience for you.

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB

YellowBee

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Eco-boost Mustang
So cobb, how Hp and Tq you getting?

OP
OP

Mojo_Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We change the Sport, Sport+, and Track drive mode settings. First and foremost we de-sensitize the overly aggressive pedal translation in these modes to make things feel a bit more natural and progressive. They are still more aggressive than the Stock mode, but not nearly as bold as the OEM settings.

Additionally, we change the shift pressures and torque reduction settings for a few of the early shifts to enhance the driving experience when pushing the car hard off the line.

In the future as we put more mileage and parts on the car we will continue to adjust the transmission settings as needed, and requested, to produce the ultimate driving experience for you.

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB
Thanks Braden!

I rather like the "aggressive pedal translation", so the fact that it has been dialed back is disappointing. Is this something that a customer could configure with Accesstuner?

Also, what exactly do you mean by "to enhance the driving experience when pushing the car hard off the line"?

Sponsored

COBB Tuning

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Braden!

I rather like the "aggressive pedal translation", so the fact that it has been dialed back is disappointing. Is this something that a customer could configure with Accesstuner?

Also, what exactly do you mean by "to enhance the driving experience when pushing the car hard off the line"?
Certainly, anything we have access to, you have access to with Accesstuner software. You can set the tables back to stock or make them even more aggressive.

What I mean by that quote is that when you floor it stock, the car will drastically reduce power between the 1->2 and 2->3 shifts. We remove some of this and firm it up so that you hook hard, or are on the edge of spinning into these gears.

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Certainly, anything we have access to, you have access to with Accesstuner software...
...Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB

When is the Accesstunner Race software being released for the EB Mustang?

OP
OP

Mojo_Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Certainly, anything we have access to, you have access to with Accesstuner software. You can set the tables back to stock or make them even more aggressive.

What I mean by that quote is that when you floor it stock, the car will drastically reduce power between the 1->2 and 2->3 shifts. We remove some of this and firm it up so that you hook hard, or are on the edge of spinning into these gears.

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB
Thanks once again Braden! Your modifications to the AT shift logic sounds great.

COBB Tuning

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When is the Accesstunner Race software being released for the EB Mustang?
Public release is looking good for the end of January right now.

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Ecoboost Premium
Not to counteract, but my tune doesn't really feel much different between drive modes.

It has a lot more power, but overall it's similar to stock feeling. At least that's my experience...

Sponsored

LStillman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
M4dSc1ent1st
Vehicle(s)

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB

I take it you are digging into the transmission control then? How much control, will be available to the end user? I've seen a few complaints about the factory tune with the transmission while most tuning companies seem to be firming up the shifts and doing what you mentioned above with removing the reduction in power, what about making the transmission shift faster? This seems to be a want from the few post I've read on the automatic if it isn't a mechanical limitation and just a electrical one that can be worked past.

COBB Tuning

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to counteract, but my tune doesn't really feel much different between drive modes.

It has a lot more power, but overall it's similar to stock feeling. At least that's my experience...
The initial changes are only at high torque levels during shifting events in the first few gears. These changes were not made to the standard driving mode, only the Sport and higher. I think you'll notice a huge difference in shifting with the paddles as well if you were to gun it from a stop and shift around 5500rpm from 1->2.

I take it you are digging into the transmission control then? How much control, will be available to the end user? I've seen a few complaints about the factory tune with the transmission while most tuning companies seem to be firming up the shifts and doing what you mentioned above with removing the reduction in power, what about making the transmission shift faster? This seems to be a want from the few post I've read on the automatic if it isn't a mechanical limitation and just a electrical one that can be worked past.
Yes, we have full access to the transmission controls as ford has integrated the TCM controls into the ECU for several years now on the EcoBoost platform. These controls will also be available to users of Accesstuner software. There are a LOT of tables that have to be touched to make these transmissions behave appropriately. I've seen calibrations that simply remove entire sub-systems of control like Torque Truncation, Torque Rate Limiting, even Torque Management entirely... I don't believe in that style of approach as it can severely inhibit drivability.

We tend to tread lightly when doing transmission tuning because each driver has a different way they want the car to shift. The transmission controls in this application are adaptive and will adjust to your driving style while trying to stay within bounds of their targets. We can certainly eliminate some of the slop of the OEM settings, but typically leave the fine tuning to customer or to the Protuner that is working with the customer.

We'll continue to refine and update our calibrations with feedback from you all. Our v100 calibrations are only the start, we will push updates out when improvements are found and features added.

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB

stormtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Only modes i have in mine are Sport and the Steering Control feel. Lol. Which i dont notice shit.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Only modes i have in mine are Sport and the Steering Control feel. Lol. Which i dont notice shit.

Base Model FTW!

Mine is the same. I only notice a difference between Sport and Comfort steering. Then there are a few Traction control modes on mine I think because of the PP... It has traction control off (still has stability control on), Sport mode which seems to have both still on but not as limiting, and Advanced Track Off (stability and traction control all off).
Sponsored