Sponsored

Horn sounding when locking car doors

chazoshea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
In the States most cars, including Mustangs chirp twice when you double lock using the remote. I like this ‘cos I want to walk away from the car without having to look back for flashing indicators. Is it possible to program this? p.s. I’ve also noted, ironically, that some U.S. guys are looking for ways to disable this feature.
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
This is a feature I also want for my car.. but we must distinguish between three different features:

1) Honk when locking the car - this is when you turn off the car, get out, close the door and push the lock button on your remote (most cars in US do this);

2) Honk when double-push the lock button on your remote - this is when e.g. you want to find your car in the mall park, and you can't remember where you have parked. Pushing twice the lock button on the remote causes the car to double honk and flash the turn signals, so you can easily find it;

3) Honk when getting out the car while engine is still running, with the key in your pocket, and close the door - the car double honk to remind you that the engine is running.

The (3) is the one that most US guys are asking to disable (actually I can't understand why they hate this so much :D )

Your request seem a mix between (1) and (2): double pushing the lock button is for (2) feature, but you want (1) behaviour.

Feature (3) can be disabled and feature (2) can be enabled easily with Forscan, but feature (1)? I know that most US cars honk when locking, but don't know if also the Mustang in US do this.
If yes, I also want this :)

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
I can confirm the 2018 model does honk once when double pushing the lock button.

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
I can confirm the 2018 model does honk once when double pushing the lock button.
Are you talking about EU model? Double pushing when the car is already locked?

Sponsored

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Are you talking about EU model? Double pushing when the car is already locked?
Yep 2018 EU model, just press the button twice don't know if it needs to be locked but in that case press it 3 times :D I'll have to check the owners manual to see what it does differently, sometimes double locking a car disables keyless entry but that still works after. Might just be to honk the horn if you have lost your car.

I have seen other EU cars just turn on the hazzards for a while after double locking possibly the same purpose as the honk incase you can't find your car.

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Yes this is a feature I always found in my previous car (actually, only bliking hazards).

I was just curious if the US Mustang honks when locking (simple locking - i.e., getting out of the car, close the door and lock pushing once on the remote)

OP
OP
chazoshea

chazoshea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I’ve has Mustang rentals in the US over the last few years and they all honk on locking and unlocking, so I want this feature on my 2016 EU Mustang but I’m not going to stretch to £100 for some Bluetooth device to change a switch using Forscan softrware... c’mon help us guys!!

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the confirmation Charlie!
I have the ObdLink MX and Forscan, but don't know what to change for that :) I know that many US guys find this annoying, but this is how US cars work.. so I want it :D

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, I've already read that spreadsheet but the only values referring to honk\horn is to enable\disable the double honk reminder.
Also, I remember a much bigger spreadsheet with many values, like "disable seatbelt reminder" that is missing from this..

Edit: This https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...N7v6AjN_t9rWvz0npQpcBbU_u0/edit#gid=304752313
but still two entries regarding horn

Door Lock Horn Honk - Disable/Enable (this is the horn honk you get when you press Lock twice on your keyfob)
Double Honk Reminder - Enable/Disable (Engine On, No Keyfob) this is the double horn honk you get when the car is running, you get out (with the keyfob) and close the door
Sponsored