Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Road Trip #2 - Fabulous Ford's Forever

As I mentioned in a previous post, we are headed on another road trip! This time, I am headed down to Fabulous Ford's Forever at Knotts in Anaheim with my uncle and father.

For days 1 & 2, we are driving down the 101 from Seattle to Sacramento where we will meetup Sacramento gang before driving down to Anaheim.

Planned route is:
Road trip - Days 1 & 2.jpg

We left Seattle today and after picking up my uncle from the airport. Seeing another 350 in the wild is also a cool site. Going to be fun see it in the rear-view/out in front for the next few days. I'll tell you one thing, not many colors get more attention than Grabber blue! Also, here's proof the cars were clean at one point.
Start.jpg

We stopped a few times along the coast to grab some pictures. Southern Oregon is absolutely beautiful. Definitely worth the drive if you're on your way through. Southern WA and Northern OR have some beautiful areas for sure, but not many drive-through areas. More of the type of places you go visit for a couple of days.
first stop.jpg

second stop.jpg

I know angle and focus is terrible, but man this lighting was epic for the grabber.
grabber.jpg

Ruby really is a beautiful color. Just a bitch to keep clean. Haha
ruby.jpg

Tomorrow we finish up the Oregon coast and get into CA. Looking ahead at the route, I see some pretty fun stuff. I'll try to get some better pictures (should be easier now that I got the smudge off the lens :headbonk:) as well as breakout the GoPro.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What is your datalogging set up? Looks like the first was done with HLT, and a OBD module? Which one did you use? What mount did you have for your phone?

Is the second one done with the HLT video, or is it another system?
I am using HLT exclusively. In the first video, HLT did all the work using my phone's camera (iPhone) for video, OBD reader for car data (Kiwi 3) and phone's GPS for geo data. HLT then overlayed the data onto the video.

For the second video, I was using my GoPro, but it was not linked up to HLT yet. So I combined the data from HLT and the GoPro using Race Render. It's a bit of work compared to the simplicity of HLT. However, it is much more powerful and customizable, which is nice.

The OBD reader I am using is the Kiwi 3. It works great. Never any connection problems. Don't even need to add it as a bluetooth device. Next up for me is an external GPS module for more accurate lines.

I just added a RAM mount for my iPhone. The mount is extremely solid and ensures zero phone shake. However, the flutter is still there due to a poor design in the iPhone. Although I have read putting a magnet next to the camera disables the mechanical stabilizer, so I am going to try that next.

New GT350R member here and waiting for my car to arrive in Portland in next few weeks I hope. My May/June are challenged with travel but would love to connect and run this car with you guys up in PNW. CA is great, but a long tow! Please keep me in loop for future events and meets.
Mark
Welcome to the PNW! Will do, Mark! Can't wait to get the group together for some on-track shenanigans. I'll be following your thread closely.

straightliner1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R #HR262 / 2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali
Is Dad's splitter installed correctly? That gap in the closeup LH corner shot looks exaggerated.

thackl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mclaren 720s,X5,17 Raptor,c63s edeition1,1098SFS
It's amazing how much better the 6GR wheels look on these cars.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
@honeybadger ......no intention to derail your thread, but since there has been a lot of chatter about a NW track day get together I figured this is a good place to post up a proposed track day. Let me know if you want it posted elsewhere. Also, I'm 50/50 at this point in getting out on 5/21 with ACNW. Once I know for sure I will let you know. In the meantime, have a great road trip and keep the pics coming!

See the link attached. It's an all Ford track day with Mustangs NW in July at Pacific Raceways. Last year I was only 1 of 2 350s there. With all of us now out and about, I'm hoping the 350s will have a presence this year. There is an early registration discount for April, and then a lesser discount in May. Disclaimer: I will be playing an active role in working this event this year but it's strictly voluntary....I'm not promoting this for any incentive; just a good opportunity to get the 350s out amongst their Mustang brethren in an environment they were bred for.

http://mustangsnorthwest.com/car-shows/roundup-2015/ridedrive/

NOTE: This link has last year's info. The site should be updated soon, but all info is essentially a carry over from last year including pricing discount deadlines. This year the date of the event is Thursday, 7/13......not 7/14 as specified in the link.

Last edited:

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I don't think the Grabber Blue splitter is installed correctly.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Road Trip #2 - Day 2

Man - I really need to get better about updating these things as I go. I guess I was just too tired from all the shenanigans each night to upload. Not much excuse for the 4 weeks since then. :lol:

Anyways, Day -2 was mostly a repeat of Day 1 with new sights. Our plans was to continue along the coast until we hit Highway 299, where we would then branch off and head towards Redding so we could get back on I5 and head towards Sacramento where we were meeting up with the group.

Drive Day 2.PNG

We did manage to start the day with a hell of a view, though.
Beg Day 2.jpg

Sure is fun seeing one of these in your rear-view mirror every day
Nice rearview.jpg

Here's a GoPro Quik video of some of the Southern Oregon coastline.
[ame]

Highway 299 was a ton of fun. We ended up getting stuck at the front of a line for over an hour while the DOT worked on road restoration. The slides in CA have been brutal this year. Fortunately, after they re-opened the road, we had no one in front of us. Here's a small snip of the drive - image 60 miles of this :) And apologies about the rattle. DROVE ME NUTS all day until I figured it out.
[ame]

About 2.5 hours later we made it to Sacramento. Friday is when the real shenanigans started.

Reactions: TDC
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Fabulous Ford's Forever - Friday & Saturday

For Days 3 & 4 it was mostly about shenanigans. When leaving Sacramento, we met up with 50 Deep, straightliner1 , and local Sacramento group for the drive down to LA. I spaced out and didn't grab pictures, but we made 3 stops along the way, each time adding to the size of the convoy. At one point, we were in a group of about 120 mustangs. Pretty intense. On the second stop, Raiderjatt02 joined us.

Once we reached L.A. area, 5 of us headed for a local road that my wife and I explored while were down in the area in January. It was an absolute blast. Was epic cruising the mountain ridges in a group of 4-5 GT350s....that many Voodoos can make some seriously sweet music. Later, Socal350 joined us, but we didn't grab any pics with him.

Here are a couple of pics + a short video of the beginning of it.

At the bottom, right before we headed up the hill.

GMR - Start.jpg

[ame]

At the top of the mountain
34135678884_17d2a5e88d_k.jpg

34590966190_820cb8a974_k.jpg

On Saturday, we explored more the city, went on a few drives, and visited Chemical Guys. The highlight of the day was probably going to K1 Karting. When we rolled up to K1, I am pretty sure we heard an audible sigh. Ha. We were fairly well behaved with the exception of our last race where we had some new guys in our group that pretended to not understand the blue flag - I might or might not have pit maneuvered both of them.

K1 Karting.jpg

34590967890_32ecd36dd0_k.jpg

On a side note, if [MENTION=20243]50 Deep[/MENTION] ever challenges you to a kart race bet, take the bet. The odds are in your favor. :lol:

Last edited:
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I don't think the Grabber Blue splitter is installed correctly.
Is Dad's splitter installed correctly? That gap in the closeup LH corner shot looks exaggerated.
Nope it wasn't. Mine had also popped loose from when it was scraping during my track days. Ironically, dad's (Grabber Blue) splitter was completely torn off when he hit a dip in the road at speed. It completely sheered it off and ripped it right off the belly pan. Insurance ended up replacing the splitter and belly pan.

Both are fixed now, though.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Road Trip #2 - Fabulous Ford's Forever Show & Conclusion

On Sunday it was time for the big show. If you're in the general area and have not been to the show, it's definitely a must. There were over 1,600 Ford powered cars there. It was awesome. Here were a few of my favorites.

This S550 was wrapped in a Brushed Aluminum Vinyl wrap. I've thought of something similar for my car, but darker. Something closer to black. Regardless, a very cool wrap. Nice look from far away and cool texture/detail up close.
34980083275_f2bcb9d88e_k.jpg

Most of you probably already saw this, but there was a completely carbon fiber 350R. All the panels were replaced with real carbon fiber - the craftsmanship was beautiful to behold. Vendor said the cost was around $60K. Ouch! It did save a few hundred pounds, though. ;)
34816367572_c359a4b201_k.jpg

Beautiful metallic orange 350. Little bright for my tastes, but absolutely gorgeous.
34816364822_ce4cc4387f_k.jpg

I'm such a sucker for an Eleanor. :love:
34980080165_437645d66d_k.jpg

Beautiful Grabber Boss 302.
34980081375_e2ba9075d8_k.jpg

There were 4 Cobra's at the show. So cool - all in various conditions. Some were truly original (like this one), 1 had not been reconditioned (think barn find) and 1 was immaculate.

The guy who owns this is such a badass. As we were waiting for cars to the leave the show, he parted the crowd and did a burn out in this car through a line of people. Rumor was Carrol Shelby tried to buy it back from him, but he refused. Such a cool dude.
34980079085_4538709f3a_k.jpg

34980082245_d1eff5bea7_k.jpg

This beautiful Ford GT. Such a great livery on this car.
34816367132_6f9f58af59_k.jpg

Then, of course, the end all, be all of the car show. So much drooling :eyebulge:
34590967130_cf34df5b09_k.jpg

I thought I had grabbed a shot of the 350s, but it looks like I didn't. My bad. But there were about 20 of us there. It was really cool to see so many. Only colors that I still haven't seen now are Triple Yellow and the MY18 colors.

Heading Home
For the drive home, we cruised up to Ojai to take Highway 33 towards I5. This road was incredible. Twisties, mountains, tunnels, big long straight aways, etc... This definitely needs to be driven if you're in the area. I had a GoPro running, but my case ended up getting hit with a rock that cracked the lens and ruined the video after only a few mins. I'll have to try again next time :)

Capture.jpg

We had an absolute blast on Highway 33.

Highway 33.jpg

18208939_1302744506510008_2209802416893964999_o.jpg

After 33, we all split to make our own separate ways back home. What an absolute blast of a weekend. Thanks [MENTION=20243]50 Deep[/MENTION] and [MENTION=22191]straightliner1[/MENTION] for the invite. [MENTION=16887]Raider[/MENTION]jatt1 and [MENTION=22456]Socal350[/MENTION], was a pleasure to meet you guys. Hopefully we meet again!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@honeybadger ......no intention to derail your thread, but since there has been a lot of chatter about a NW track day get together I figured this is a good place to post up a proposed track day. Let me know if you want it posted elsewhere. Also, I'm 50/50 at this point in getting out on 5/21 with ACNW. Once I know for sure I will let you know. In the meantime, have a great road trip and keep the pics coming!

See the link attached. It's an all Ford track day with Mustangs NW in July at Pacific Raceways. Last year I was only 1 of 2 350s there. With all of us now out and about, I'm hoping the 350s will have a presence this year. There is an early registration discount for April, and then a lesser discount in May. Disclaimer: I will be playing an active role in working this event this year but it's strictly voluntary....I'm not promoting this for any incentive; just a good opportunity to get the 350s out amongst their Mustang brethren in an environment they were bred for.

http://mustangsnorthwest.com/car-shows/roundup-2015/ridedrive/

NOTE: This link has last year's info. The site should be updated soon, but all info is essentially a carry over from last year including pricing discount deadlines. This year the date of the event is Thursday, 7/13......not 7/14 as specified in the link.
No worries, [MENTION=19800]CSL[/MENTION]. For everyone in the PNW, make sure you get signed up! I know there are a few of us on the list. [MENTION=16045]Bosshog[/MENTION] [MENTION=29996]FR500S Racer[/MENTION] [MENTION=29846]Etchhead[/MENTION] Have you guys gotten signed up? Brian, I know you definitely need to get signed up now! ;)

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes
I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention . . . . Where do we sign up?

Krogen

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Pretty epic road trip [MENTION=23430]honeybadger[/MENTION]. Did you happen to get any pics from our track day? For some reason I completely spaced snapping a few pics...would have been good for your thread.