Sponsored

Holly Tri-Ax Batman!!!

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
so I finally got to install the shifter this weekend, and my ooo my. The shifter is amazing! The Tri-Ax completely eliminated this metal to metal buzz I had in shifter area when accelerating through certain rpms. I hated that sound, fixing that alone is worth it for me. that's not all though. My car also has the infamous thumb coming from under the car when engaging 1st through 3rd. I have taken it to ford and they say its normal, and so did some members on here. I disagree, I do not think its normal, but that aside I think the Tri-ax is one step in the right direction to eliminating that thump. since I have installed I have only noticed it once when putting in 1st but after that I haven't felt it since. I will be keeping tabs on that to see if the thump returns. I have gone through all the gears at all rpms and they feel amazing. its like i have an entirely new transmission. this is how it should feel! The Tri-Ax shifts so crispy and precise. i dont have to aim for 3rd goes straight there without an issue, and now peice of mind that i wont miss that gear again. i used the longer springs for tighter shifter feel and i love it! As for NVH i know for some thats something you worry about when upgrading parts. with this piece the only NVH i noticed was at idle when car was cold. other than that i dont hear when driving, and actually when driving the Tri-Ax is quieter than my stock one. i had that annoying buzzing or metal to metal sound when accelerating. The Tri-Ax comes with plenty of dyno mat and some NVH should be expected anyway. with any aftermarket part for that matter. they are aftermarket not always geared towards eliminating NVH but for optimal performance. the shifter is a breeze to install with the colored instructions even a begginer mechanic should be able to figure it out. i would not think twice about another shifter. the craftsmanship is top notch and you can tell lots of enginnering went into this bad boy. i also added the black delrin lockout colar for piece of mind and looks, but now installed i also have the added benifit of the feel it produces. its just feels so much more solid and high quality when engaging reverse. overall this is best shifter ive ever felt and i have driven lots of manual cars along with different short shifters. this is first one i installed myself though and i must add that we even got it on without removing the drive shaft. made our job a little harder but not much more time was added to install. also once the Tri-Ax was assembled we were able to slide it in through the top. that was nice.. To top everything off a special thanks to my buddy David@steeda. nothing but world class customer service and patients for my tons of questions.. thanks for all the help, amazing parts, and ultra fast shipping! pics will be up shortly and video hopefully soon.
Sponsored

Oko3612

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic PP 15 GT
Just got my tri ax installed over the weekend. I have to agree with everything you said. The piece is absolutely beautiful and makes the car that much more fun to drive when compared to the stock shifter.:):D

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Got mine yesterday but won't have time to get it in before I go on vacation tomorrow, you guys got me pumped for this! Thanks to David, too!

OP
OP
16s550

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got mine yesterday but won't have time to get it in before I go on vacation tomorrow, you guys got me pumped for this! Thanks to David, too!
Your gonna love it

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
[MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION] another happy customer:D

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Any tips/tricks with the install? I'm thinking about going this route as well. I've been bitching about the stock shifter feel for long enough. Just haven't been able to decide how far I wanted to take it. Obviously the Tri-Ax, MGW and Barton are great options but get pretty expensive, especially if you pay to have them installed. Being my DD, I was having a hard time spending that much (including install) on just the shifter. I was leaning towards just trying the Steeda or Blowfish bracket.

However, if install was pretty simple and I could do it myself, that might sway me more. I assume you have to get under the car regardless, right? The big thing is that driveshaft and it sounds like you were able to work around it...

Oko3612

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic PP 15 GT
Any tips/tricks with the install? I'm thinking about going this route as well. I've been bitching about the stock shifter feel for long enough. Just haven't been able to decide how far I wanted to take it. Obviously the Tri-Ax, MGW and Barton are great options but get pretty expensive, especially if you pay to have them installed. Being my DD, I was having a hard time spending that much (including install) on just the shifter. I was leaning towards just trying the Steeda or Blowfish bracket.

However, if install was pretty simple and I could do it myself, that might sway me more. I assume you have to get under the car regardless, right? The big thing is that driveshaft and it sounds like you were able to work around it...
I had the tri-ax installed by Steeda, and even though it gets pricey the cost of the shifter and install is so worth it in my mind!

I DD my car and would never want to go back to the stock shifter after experiencing the tri-ax. Literally makes the car so much more fun to drive.:cheers:

Shoot [MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION] a PM and I'm sure he'll take care of you. Stand up guys for sure!

OP
OP
16s550

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would definitely do it and if you have done any type of mechanical work before you can for sure tackle this install. I would be more than happy to help and answer any questions you have during install aswell. I would also recomend a lending pair of hands for sure. Even more so if you have banana fingers like myself. The main reason to remove the driveshaft is to lower tranny enough to get the bolt out of that long shifter arm I forget the name of. The way I did it was unbolting tranny mount and leaving exhaust. It gave me enought slack to remove bolt also the smaller tranny bracket for leverage purposes. It shouldn't take you more than half a day going really slow and being cautous. I changed my oil whileI was under there. Side note. Form a funnel is the shit! But yea I'd for sure do the install with a friend and be much more gratifying in the end.

Sponsored

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Yeah, I've actually PM'd with David a few times about this. The deal on the shifter is great. As I was saying, it's more the install that takes it over the top. I'll have to see if anyone local would be willing to help if/when I go that route. I do have a small garage but don't really have the tools to take this on. Specifically, I don't have a jack and jack stands, although I've been considering getting those as well just to have. Still, my small garage wouldn't be an idea place for it.

Out of curiosity, what did Steeda charge for the install (ballpark is fine). I feel like I asked Dave that question a while ago but can't remember. I'm nowhere near them so having them install it wouldn't even be a consideration. Just curious in general what it might cost. I suppose I could also do some of it myself, such as removing the interior panels and stuff, to save some shop time.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I don't know about Steeda, but around here it seems be $250.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Yeah, I've actually PM'd with David a few times about this. The deal on the shifter is great. As I was saying, it's more the install that takes it over the top. I'll have to see if anyone local would be willing to help if/when I go that route. I do have a small garage but don't really have the tools to take this on. Specifically, I don't have a jack and jack stands, although I've been considering getting those as well just to have. Still, my small garage wouldn't be an idea place for it.

Out of curiosity, what did Steeda charge for the install (ballpark is fine). I feel like I asked Dave that question a while ago but can't remember. I'm nowhere near them so having them install it wouldn't even be a consideration. Just curious in general what it might cost. I suppose I could also do some of it myself, such as removing the interior panels and stuff, to save some shop time.
Their quote should be 1.5-2hrs of labor to get it installed. With you being up on the east coast, there are some really good shops that should be in driving distance for you to get it installed.

Isn't Evolution Performance somewhat close to your location?

Edit - looks like they are about 1.5hrs away with no traffic.

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=contact_us

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
so I finally got to install the shifter this weekend, and my ooo my. The shifter is amazing! The Tri-Ax completely eliminated this metal to metal buzz I had in shifter area when accelerating through certain rpms. I hated that sound, fixing that alone is worth it for me. that's not all though. My car also has the infamous thumb coming from under the car when engaging 1st through 3rd. I have taken it to ford and they say its normal, and so did some members on here. I disagree, I do not think its normal, but that aside I think the Tri-ax is one step in the right direction to eliminating that thump. since I have installed I have only noticed it once when putting in 1st but after that I haven't felt it since. I will be keeping tabs on that to see if the thump returns. I have gone through all the gears at all rpms and they feel amazing. its like i have an entirely new transmission. this is how it should feel! The Tri-Ax shifts so crispy and precise. i dont have to aim for 3rd goes straight there without an issue, and now peice of mind that i wont miss that gear again. i used the longer springs for tighter shifter feel and i love it! As for NVH i know for some thats something you worry about when upgrading parts. with this piece the only NVH i noticed was at idle when car was cold. other than that i dont hear when driving, and actually when driving the Tri-Ax is quieter than my stock one. i had that annoying buzzing or metal to metal sound when accelerating. The Tri-Ax comes with plenty of dyno mat and some NVH should be expected anyway. with any aftermarket part for that matter. they are aftermarket not always geared towards eliminating NVH but for optimal performance. the shifter is a breeze to install with the colored instructions even a begginer mechanic should be able to figure it out. i would not think twice about another shifter. the craftsmanship is top notch and you can tell lots of enginnering went into this bad boy. i also added the black delrin lockout colar for piece of mind and looks, but now installed i also have the added benifit of the feel it produces. its just feels so much more solid and high quality when engaging reverse. overall this is best shifter ive ever felt and i have driven lots of manual cars along with different short shifters. this is first one i installed myself though and i must add that we even got it on without removing the drive shaft. made our job a little harder but not much more time was added to install. also once the Tri-Ax was assembled we were able to slide it in through the top. that was nice.. To top everything off a special thanks to my buddy David@steeda. nothing but world class customer service and patients for my tons of questions.. thanks for all the help, amazing parts, and ultra fast shipping! pics will be up shortly and video hopefully soon.
Nice write-up, thanks for posting sir! Most importantly, glad you're happy. :)

Just got my tri ax installed over the weekend. I have to agree with everything you said. The piece is absolutely beautiful and makes the car that much more fun to drive when compared to the stock shifter.:):D
Yes! Enjoy it, bud! :cheers:

Everyone's happy with Steeda, even if they mess up (never happened). They're like Chipotle. Even with the E.coli I love it too much to give it up:shrug:
:lol:

[MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION] another happy customer:D
:)

Looking forward to seeing that bad boy installed!
Sponsored