Sponsored

Here's a Nasty Sound for Y'all.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This started after they replaced my clutch. It sounds very similar to the nasty sound in that F-150 TSB video someone posted. Like it's a solenoid or Cam Phaser rattling when I blip rev the engine. When the engine is warmed up, it doesn't sound as bad, but during warmup, it sounds really nasty.

You can also here a slight bit of the old BBQ tick in the background when I have my camera under the car. It only happens during warmup now. Once warmed up, it's gone, and only that nasty rattle remains.

Almost blood curdling. LOL

P.S. My first video ever posted on the internet. If you can imagine that.
Sponsored

chocoblox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Oh! Oh! I have this one too in addition to the 1500 idle RPM rattle and 2000-3000 RPM rattle. I feel like I’m playing Rattle Bingo :clap:

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Ford has to be losing money doing short/long blocks on these cars at this point.

When are they going to step up and offer a real fix?

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
The crazy son of a bitch at that dealership that told this man his car was fixed ought to be strung up by the balls

Sponsored

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Here's the thing. It only does it when in neutral, with the brake on, and the clutch pedal released (engaged). When I press the clutch pedal in to disengage the clutch while revving, there is no rattle.

I have a theory. When in neutral, and the clutch is engaged, there is no load on the clutch or transmission, so the clutch is engaged, but is free-wheeling. So, I think the floater plate in between the two discs is rattling. As soon as I press the clutch pedal in, the noise stops immediately because now there is ample room for the floater to sit or rotate freely without rattling in between the clutch plates.

I also notice this sound, but more faintly when in gear. When I get up to around 2,000rpm (say in 1-4th gears), and I take my foot off the gas just slightly to unload the transmission. There is a slight rattle due to the load being intermediate. As soon as engine breaking occurs, the noise immediately goes away. And, as soon as I step on the gas again, the noise goes away.

My other theory is the flywheel is rubbing against the starter housing a little when the clutch is engaged and rpessure on everything is sort of intermediate. When the clutch is disengaged, it shifts just slightly back, and doesn't rub anymore.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I think what you are hearing is the gear lash in the transmission. Just gears banging against each other.
I wonder if this is the same on the 15-17 bbq tick as well. Just minute idle change causing the transmission to make sounds.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think what you are hearing is the gear lash in the transmission. Just gears banging against each other.
AHA!! That may be the case as well. Which means, I better stop doing that with the clutch engaged. LOL

So, why would i hear similar sound when there is intermediate stress on the transmission when driving? Could it be just the gear slop rattling a bit?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
AHA!! That may be the case as well. Which means, I better stop doing that with the clutch engaged. LOL
You will be fine, just a minute sound.
Mustangs are not know for it's tight drive train.

Sponsored

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
“I have a theory”..................................

You guys crack me up. Not possible this is just the normal operation of the engine. You know they put the huge stingray engine cover on to drown out noise and also to keep contamination out.

Most and I’ll say most ALL these rattle videos sound the same to me. A normal operating engine. Yes I hear the noise when you rev and let off at 2k. Why is it a problem? Bc of the noise? People are willing to put a foreign substance in their engine to make the noise go away to “fix” it? I don’t get it

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
Good, now I can drive it like I stole it, without being so paranoid. :thumbsup:
Drive the crap out of it man. isnt that why you bought it? Warm it up and give it hell w in reason. Enjoy it. Quit worrying so much

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Drive the crap out of it man. isnt that why you bought it? Warm it up and give it hell w in reason. Enjoy it. Quit worrying so much
As much as I actually do my best to live by that attitude, the fact is I'm not made of money. Nor do I want to get stuck with a car I will end up regretting. I spent a lot of years, and a lot of hard earned money to finally get the kind of car I've always wanted. Forgive me if I'm being paranoid after spending $40k on a car, and then wondering why it sounds like a rickety old POS, when EVERY single other car I've owned in my life sounded smooth and ran like a dream by comparison. This one so far, really hasn't. A new clutch at 3,300 miles? Seriously? And you wonder why I get paranoid when this engine makes this much racket?

Btw, I'm an Engineer. Having theories is what we do. You wouldn't even have a Coyote V8 Mustang if it wasn't for engineers with theories.

All that aside, Yes...I'm going to drive the cr@p out of it.
Sponsored

Last edited: