Sponsored

Help with subframe bolts.

MisterNitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Sorry to dig up an old thread but i am having an issue with a bolt of my own. Got a tap set from Harbor frieght but the tap isnt so long and there isnt a lot of room to use the suppiled handle. What did you all use to tackle this? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I know I've used either 8 or 12 point sockets and a ratchet before, though I don't remember how big the thread I was trying to cut might have been.

Take extra care if you try this and break the chips more frequently than you normally would. Taps don't like it when your wrench force tries to bend them. They break instead, and leave you worse off than when you started with a hardened (un-drillable) piece of the tap stuck in the hole.

Norm

sy1462

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I've used a 12pt socket before but a tap socket is better. Amazon or others sell them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SRFO...be31-a4b323e1cb11&ie=UTF8&qid=1543417140&sr=1

As other's have said use plenty of oil, reverse frequently, and go slow. Use a tapered end tap if possible, they are easier to center to get started. Depending on how much damage you did you should just be chasing the threads so the amount of torque you need to apply should be pretty small.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Again - sorry for resurrecting old thread but it will be on topic - how do you all access rear subframe bolt without dropping the exhaust that is in the way ?

I think the bolt has been loctited in the factory so with short socket and a ratchet I am unable to untorque it - longer ratchet would probably help but I can't get the impact in there using any kind of extension...

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Again - sorry for resurrecting old thread but it will be on topic - how do you all access rear subframe bolt without dropping the exhaust that is in the way ?

I think the bolt has been loctited in the factory so with short socket and a ratchet I am unable to untorque it - longer ratchet would probably help but I can't get the impact in there using any kind of extension...
You're talking about the blue subframe bolts, right? They shouldn't be blocked by exhaust unless you have a custom exhaust with different routing.

Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
My borla mufflers are sort of in the way. You have to loosen the clamps and pull the mufflers down a bit in order to get access to the rear subframe bolts.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
You're talking about the blue subframe bolts, right? They shouldn't be blocked by exhaust unless you have a custom exhaust with different routing.
Yes - blue rear subframe bolts - the stock 2018 active exhaust is in the way - not entirely, but enough to not allow extension with a socket sit straight... I guess I will have to take an exhaust off or get a longer ratchet (which I ordered since it's good to have one anyway).
Sponsored