daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Right now in the living room I have Sony 60", but the wife wants to re-orientate the living room (why... who knows) and how she wants to do it would make the TV further away. I was looking into getting a 70"+ but to be honest I know nothing about the current TV models other than what CNET etc say. Can anyone give some recommendations? I would like 4K and 70-80" for $3K or under. I realize realistically that is more 4K 70" pricing but like I said I don't know much about this stuff.

I found this model at Joe's AV (not sure if they are reputable, seem to have decent online ratings) for about $800 less than Amazon: http://www.joesav.com/LG-LED-HDTV-p/75uh6550.htm?CartID=1

Slightly over budget, but I saw this one too: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR75X850D-Ultra-Smart-75-Inch/dp/B01A5LU6R0
Sponsored

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Stay away from LED. Try to get a OLED.

Sda3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Green Performance Pack GT Premium
The Sony XBR 850 series TVs have a pretty fantastic picture right around your price range for the 75"

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
4K is still relatively new. And 4K signals are few and far between. A lot of times (right now) buying a high end 1080p tv will get you a better picture than a lower end 4K tv anyway.

HDR is supposed to be the next big thing, but there are 2 standards for that

Dolbie Vision and HDR 10

HDR 10 supported by Sony and Samsung

Dolbie Vision supported by LG and Visio

So as addons like game consoles, cable/satellite boxes, Blu Ray players. Whatever you plug into your tv for a video signal; if it doesn't support the HDR format that your tv has then you won't get all the added colors of HDR.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yep, 4K is a little bit of a mess right now, competing standards (per the post above), though if I were to call it, I'd say HDR10 (open, currently way ahead in terms of support).

I get that people want to future proof, but (again, the post above matches my perspective), I prefer quantifiably better vs. just some bigger number ...

(My BIL bought a bigger TV than ours, our PQ slays his, I'll take our over his any day, talking 55 vs 60, Panasonic Plasma vs. shitty low end)

5.0 Probie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
I second the Sony 850C. Although I would recommend for those who can, get the OLED as first mentioned in this thread.

I feel sorry for those that think 4K is a mess right now. We LOVE our Sony 65" 850C.

We have Amazon and Netflix. We also have the newest Samsung 4k Player. "ALL" our dvd's and blue-rays look much better and the 4K movies we have purchased are amazing. Watching TV now is what it should have been all along. Clear and a joy to watch.

While the 4k is not yet flooding the channels, it is worth every penny for us.

Our setup is...

Sony 65X850C
Denon AVR-X4200W (Runs Front Hi)
SVS PB13-Ultra
Emotiva XPA-5 (Runs Two front towers, two surround, Center)
Emotiva XPA-5 (Runs all Four Height Atmos/DTX-X/3D speakers)
polkaudio RTi12 (2) (Fronts)
polkaudio CSi5 (Center)
polkaudio RC85i (4) (Surrounds)
polkaudio RC85i (2) Front Hi
polkaudio RC85i (4) Hi Dolby Atmos/DTS-X/3D Audio

Enjoy! :headbang::headbang::cheers:

OP
OP
daltron

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
4K is still relatively new. And 4K signals are few and far between. A lot of times (right now) buying a high end 1080p tv will get you a better picture than a lower end 4K tv anyway.

HDR is supposed to be the next big thing, but there are 2 standards for that

Dolbie Vision and HDR 10

HDR 10 supported by Sony and Samsung

Dolbie Vision supported by LG and Visio

So as addons like game consoles, cable/satellite boxes, Blu Ray players. Whatever you plug into your tv for a video signal; if it doesn't support the HDR format that your tv has then you won't get all the added colors of HDR.

Yep, 4K is a little bit of a mess right now, competing standards (per the post above), though if I were to call it, I'd say HDR10 (open, currently way ahead in terms of support).

I get that people want to future proof, but (again, the post above matches my perspective), I prefer quantifiably better vs. just some bigger number ...

(My BIL bought a bigger TV than ours, our PQ slays his, I'll take our over his any day, talking 55 vs 60, Panasonic Plasma vs. shitty low end)
I am not worried about future proofing. I do IT, so I know there is no such thing, just eventual upgrades down the road lol. The reason I want 4K is for 4K streaming and the eventual console 4K gaming since if I buy a TV now I don't want to do so for another 2 years at least.

I second the Sony 850C. Although I would recommend for those who can, get the OLED as first mentioned in this thread.

I feel sorry for those that think 4K is a mess right now. We LOVE our Sony 65" 850C.

We have Amazon and Netflix. We also have the newest Samsung 4k Player. "ALL" our dvd's and blue-rays look much better and the 4K movies we have purchased are amazing. Watching TV now is what it should have been all along. Clear and a joy to watch.

While the 4k is not yet flooding the channels, it is worth every penny for us.

Our setup is...

Sony 65X850C
Denon AVR-X4200W (Runs Front Hi)
SVS PB13-Ultra
Emotiva XPA-5 (Runs Two front towers, two surround, Center)
Emotiva XPA-5 (Runs all Four Height Atmos/DTX-X/3D speakers)
polkaudio RTi12 (2) (Fronts)
polkaudio CSi5 (Center)
polkaudio RC85i (4) (Surrounds)
polkaudio RC85i (2) Front Hi
polkaudio RC85i (4) Hi Dolby Atmos/DTS-X/3D Audio

Enjoy! :headbang::headbang::cheers:
I'll look into the differences between the C and D, thank you!

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I am not worried about future proofing. I do IT, so I know there is no such thing, just eventual upgrades down the road lol. The reason I want 4K is for 4K streaming and the eventual console 4K gaming since if I buy a TV now I don't want to do so for another 2 years at least.

I'll look into the differences between the C and D, thank you!
If you are doing it of Gaming look at which HDR your console uses

The Xbox One S will be using HDR10, so if the TV doesn't support HDR10 you won't get all the extra colors. The picture will technically still by 4K based on pixels, color with a reduced displayed colors.

OP
OP
daltron

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
If you are doing it of Gaming look at which HDR your console uses

The Xbox One S will be using HDR10, so if the TV doesn't support HDR10 you won't get all the extra colors. The picture will technically still by 4K based on pixels, color with a reduced displayed colors.
Sounds like Sony for me :cheers:

Sponsored

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
I've had Vizio and LG Tv's before. My last tv, purchased about 3 years ago, was a high end Samsung LED TV (can't remember the model no at the moment). I don't think I would buy anything other than a Samsung from now on. The screen/picture is just fantastic. Also, I rarely use 3D but I do like having it. That looks pretty amazing too, usually better than it did in the theater.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
:cheers:

Litenin75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT/CS
I purchased the Sony 850D about 3 weeks ago. Perfect picture and it will run full 4k from the new gaming systems, with the HDMI 2 cables. Also, I only have a regular blu-ray hooked up to it right now and the tv upscaling makes a huge difference, without true 4k. It will probably be the only 4k tv in my house so I'm waiting on the 4k PS4 to get true 4k.
Sponsored