[Help] Purchased a car that was previously tuned

Hal_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hal
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP w/ Recaros
3 months ago I purchased a 2015 Mustang GT PP from a dealer that has some aftermarket modifications done to it. When I bought the car I tried to get the dealer to reach out to the previous owner to see if he would call me and talk to me about the car, this was unsuccessful. I am not sure if the dealer even reached out. Everything seems to be in working order and the car runs great. The car did come with an SCT4 Tuner but I decided not to plug it up because when I bought the car the dealer told me I had 8 months left on my drive train warranty. Today I decided to investigate the unlabeled aftermarket air intake on my car. After pulling off the air filter I realized it was a Steeda cold air intake with a grey filter on it instead of blue. Also it does not have the smaller tube which means its tuned required. After this I got a little scared and decided to plug in the sct4 tuner to see what was on it. The car has a 93 Lund and a Flex Fuel Lund tune loaded on the tuner. Now I am a little scared that the Ford dealership I bought it from may have re-flashed the car without the 93 tune. I have only been running 93 gas in the car and and it has been running great (I have gotten on it quite a few times and it has never sounded off). What would be the best course of action from here? Known Modification details below details below:

SCT4 Tuner-
Compiled June 12th 2015
Flashed 19 times
93 Lund Tune
Flex Fuel Lund Tune

Other Modifications (That I am aware of)
- Steeda COI Tune Required
- Boss X Pipe with side exhaust
- Ford Performance Borla sport exhaust
- JLT Catch can

Side note (maybe helpful): I have noticed that in the city it is almost impossible to to 12mpg average, on the highway I have gotten up to 28 before but average around 22-25 highway mpg depending on speed
Sponsored

Last edited:

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
The SCT should have an option to show which tune is loaded when plugged in. If the dealer reflashed it you should be able to reload the tune you want.

Your MPG is about right, tune or no tune, as long as you're driving it correctly. You can get more MPG, but then you're driving it wrong :rockon:

OP
OP
Hal_S550

Hal_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hal
Vehicle(s)
I am in the process of updating the tuner now but will post back later once I its done and I and plug it back into the car to check

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....What would be the best course of action from here?....
Put the 93R tune on it if it's not on there already (99% sure it's already on there) and drive your car.

Remember to ALWAYS use 93 octane gas.

....I have noticed that in the city it is almost impossible to to 12mpg average, on the highway I have gotten up to 28 before but average around 22-25 highway mpg depending on speed...
Yes? We're you expecting something else?

OP
OP
Hal_S550

Hal_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hal
Vehicle(s)
Put the 93R tune on it if it's not on there already (99% sure it's already on there) and drive your car.

Remember to ALWAYS use 93 octane gas.

Yes? We're you expecting something else?
I got in contact with Lund with the information and they informed me that the Flex Fuel tune is a tune that can run either 91-93 octane or E85. I don't really plan on running E85 as it is not readily available in my area but I only use 93 octane. I ended up canceling the upgrade due to the fact that the software told me to wait and return the car to the stock tune before upgrading or you risk the possibility of losing the stock tune. Due to timing and work I have not been able to plug back up the tuner but I plan to do it at lunch today. I am not exactly sure how I am going to proceed.

On the subject of the gas no I was not when I purchased the car but my friends who also own Coyote mustangs are telling me that is a bit low, esp when trying to be easy on the throttle. I guess I just have a heavy foot...

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
......I ended up canceling the upgrade due to the fact that the software told me to wait and return the car to the stock tune before upgrading or you risk the possibility of losing the stock tune......I am not exactly sure how I am going to proceed.....
I'm not following what you mean by "I ended up cancelling the upgrade"......it isn't clear what you mean by that. Please be more specific and descriptive.

What you need to do, is plug the tuner in and try and return the car to the stock tune. Since the tuner came with the car, it's almost certainly on the tuner. If it's not on the tuner, then it's on the car, and you should tune the car to the 93R tune since you have the CAI that requires a tune.

OP
OP
Hal_S550

Hal_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hal
Vehicle(s)
I'm not following what you mean by "I ended up cancelling the upgrade"......it isn't clear what you mean by that. Please be more specific and descriptive.

What you need to do, is plug the tuner in and try and return the car to the stock tune. Since the tuner came with the car, it's almost certainly on the tuner. If it's not on the tuner, then it's on the car, and you should tune the car to the 93R tune since you have the CAI that requires a tune.
By canceling the upgrade I mean the software update for the tuner. It notified me during the software upgrade process that if you do not flash the car back to stock before performing the X4 software upgrade you may loose the stock tune for the car.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
By canceling the upgrade I mean the software update for the tuner. It notified me during the software upgrade process that if you do not flash the car back to stock before performing the X4 software upgrade you may loose the stock tune for the car.
O.k.....fine.

Plug the SCT4 in and select "return to stock" and see what happens. I'm willing to bet the stock tune is on the SCT4, and it will return the ECM to the stock tune.

Once the stock tune is on the car, immediately install the 93R tune. If their are multiple tunes on the SCT4, take a picture of the SCT4's screen so we can see what the tunes are, and post the picture here so we can help you figure it out.

OP
OP
Hal_S550

Hal_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hal
Vehicle(s)
That is what I am planning, but I can go ahead and give you some more information.

The tuner has 2 tunes named
"93 Lund"
"Flex Fuel Lund"

I have been in talks with Lund and the Flex Fuel is the newer tune. The Flex Fuel tune is their tune that is able to run on either 91-93 Octane or E85. It uses the sensors in the car to adjust the tune according to what ethanol levels it detects. I plan on flashing the tune back to stock, updating the firmware on the X4 and then flashing the car back once the firmware update is done. John over at Lund Racing has been extremely helpful through email and I cant thank him enough. He was also able to pull up the old information and send the old owner my information to hopefully contact me. I would love to talk to him about the car but was unsuccessful in getting the dealer to pass my information to the previous owner after I purchased the car.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
It’s 8 months. These cars are practically bulletproof. Enjoy the extra power the tune offers and quit worrying. I’ve had some type of tune on this car. Since 2015. (93, flex fuel, supercharged 93, supercharged e85) It’s now close to 900hp. And I’ve never had an issue.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
That is what I am planning, but I can go ahead and give you some more information.

The tuner has 2 tunes named
"93 Lund"
"Flex Fuel Lund"

I have been in talks with Lund and the Flex Fuel is the newer tune. The Flex Fuel tune is their tune that is able to run on either 91-93 Octane or E85. It uses the sensors in the car to adjust the tune according to what ethanol levels it detects. I plan on flashing the tune back to stock, updating the firmware on the X4 and then flashing the car back once the firmware update is done. John over at Lund Racing has been extremely helpful through email and I cant thank him enough. He was also able to pull up the old information and send the old owner my information to hopefully contact me. I would love to talk to him about the car but was unsuccessful in getting the dealer to pass my information to the previous owner after I purchased the car.
The just use the "93 Lund". I'm 99% certain it's actually already on the car, but just double check that it is.

It's great to hear that John at Lund is helping you out in contacting the last owner, that's really great. The selling dealer, on the other hand, can eat an entire buffet of d*@#s.

OP
OP
Hal_S550

Hal_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hal
Vehicle(s)
The just use the "93 Lund". I'm 99% certain it's actually already on the car, but just double check that it is.

It's great to hear that John at Lund is helping you out in contacting the last owner, that's really great. The selling dealer, on the other hand, can eat an entire buffet of d*@#s.
Hahaha agreed, considering they also sold me the car with a bad blend door for the passenger side. Its in the worst location as well, tried to get them to fix it since they claimed nothing was wrong with the car when I bought it but they wouldnt budge. Talked to another ford dealer and its $800 since the entire dash and seats have to come out to get to it. I did not notice it until a few days later when it was a cold morning and the passenger side was blowing freezing air instead of heat. They probably knew it was broken but banked on the fact that I did not notice it when purchasing the car. I am assuming it is whatever door controls the amount of outside air flow. I actually got it to get stuck the other way somehow so now the passenger side has heat and AC but barely any flow of air behind it. Driver side works perfectly though. So I completely agree on that dealer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hal_S550

Hal_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hal
Vehicle(s)
Got the tune on the car, had to upgrade the SCT X4 to actually get it to flash. The car does feel different, currently I am running the Lund Flex as John over at Lund told me that was the newest tune on the device. The throttle feels less twitchy than before but I feel like it has more power in the mid range. Not sure if something is a little off, I talked with John previously about doing a datalog and revision of the tune to make sure everything is okay. I've decided that I am going to go with it for peace of mind. Again best of props to John, he has been extremely helpful.

Deleted member 33561

Good decision on the Flex fuel tune. John would not steer you wrong. I'm running the flex fuel tune in my 2018. As long as your car has been modified to run alcohol, you will get a nice boost in performance using E85. It adjust anytime you change from E85 to 91/93 octane with no problems. We don't have any E85 near me but I have traveled to get some on occasion. E85 is cheaper and mpg will go down but the cost per mile is about the same for me with current pricing.
Sponsored