Sponsored

Help! Odd smooth slow wobble at high speed.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Hello Everyone,

Another mystery wobble...

Here are my current mods:

Steeda Pro Action Shocks, Progressive Springs, Red Differential Bushings, Stop the hop kit, MGW shifter, project 6gr 5 spoke wheels wrapped with michelin pilot super sports 285/35/19x10 and 325/30/19x11.5.

Previously I had a driveshaft from driveshaft shop and I decided to go back to stock since I was getting a harsh vibration at high speed.

Now with the stock it feels a lot smoother, but throughout the whole car I feel this slow smooth wobble at high speeds. If you are doing above 90mphs it feels like a smooth vibrating wobble. It goes woo woo woo.... takes a second break and then does it again. I don't think it would be the wheels or driveshaft as it would be consistent and fast at that speed.

Not sure if maybe this is some sort of death wobble???

Any input would help guys!

Thank You!
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
a death wobble would be either the front or rear going side to side in fairly large and rapid manner. Is your car tracking straight? Check your damper settings and make sure they are the same, left and right.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Dunno . . . perhaps your rear tires have slightly different effective rolling radii?

Norm

Hmmm I didn't think about it... I'll try my old wheels on it again and see if that solves it. Wouldn't it be a more consistent vibration?

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
a death wobble would be either the front or rear going side to side in fairly large and rapid manner. Is your car tracking straight? Check your damper settings and make sure they are the same, left and right.
I don't have side to side wobble, it's more of a smooth wobble vibration throughout the whole car, but feel it coming from the rear. I will check the rear dampers and reset them.

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Re-install your previous wheels would be the first choice, see if it makes any changes. Wobble is something out of balance, out of round, etc.

Steeda Tech

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Re-install your previous wheels would be the first choice, see if it makes any changes. Wobble is something out of balance, out of round, etc.

Steeda Tech
I will try the wheels first and see if that makes a change.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hmmm I didn't think about it... I'll try my old wheels on it again and see if that solves it. Wouldn't it be a more consistent vibration?
Not if what you're feeling is some forced vibration that gradually goes in and out of phase.

Norm

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Pending the outcome of the wheel change (and tires hopefully) it might be worth posting a clip so we can get a better idea of what a "smooth 'woo woo woo' vibrating wobble" is.

How long and what type of driving did you do with the bad driveshaft?

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Pending the outcome of the wheel change (and tires hopefully) it might be worth posting a clip so we can get a better idea of what a "smooth 'woo woo woo' vibrating wobble" is.

How long and what type of driving did you do with the bad driveshaft?
I had the driveshaft on for about 4-6k miles. Mostly highway miles. Haven’t had any chances for track. It would be hard to record as it is more felt, you can’t really hear it.

Sponsored

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
If the wheels aren't the issue, try reclocking the driveshaft on the rear diff to a new position .... these things are sensitive to any balance changes.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
+1 after the easy job of changing wheels/tyres. Did it start straight after the old d'shaft was changed?

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
+1 after the easy job of changing wheels/tyres. Did it start straight after the old d'shaft was changed?
I noticed it after the old driveshaft was put it in, however it’s a lot smoother than the single piece driveshaft.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Here’s a fun update!

As I sat in my car this morning waiting for it to warm up. It started doing the vibration I was feeling. It seems it’s motor related or exhaust related. When I turn the AC off it, about 90% of it goes away.