Sponsored

HELP - Need a MT-82 Tailshaft Flange, WHERE?

stangdan26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
Long story short the tailshaft flange on my 15' GT Premium (3 Bolts) is shot. I had a launch at the track and ripped (and bent) the bolts right out of the threads. I've called around to a ton of dealers and the one that found the part told me they can't sell it to me......Where can I find this 3 bolt (one bolt mounting to the MT-82) flange ASAP??

-Edit - There is no, and I mean absolutely no chance the threads can be re cut (trust me I tried) and I am not going to drill it out and through bolt it after seeing what happened below.....
Sponsored

OP
OP

stangdan26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
For those wondering - this is what 700+ whp does when every other driveline component has been updgraded and the car hooks....I have three like this that ripped out of the tailshaft and three more that bent on the "ouido".....
IMG_2319.jpg

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
Have you tried looking in a hardware shop? Maybe bring the bolt with you and see if you can match one up. Not sure if they would have one but it's worth a shot.

OP
OP

stangdan26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
Have you tried looking in a hardware shop? Maybe bring the bolt with you and see if you can match one up. Not sure if they would have one but it's worth a shot.
The bolts are not the issue - the threads are totally shot on the tailshaft flange coming out of the MT-82 and in no way shape or form can be rebuilt (unless I pull the flange and bring it to a machine shop) in which case I'd rather replace new, hence the OP....Thank you though.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Wow Dan. So want you need is a new tail shaft. Can this be purchased separately and can it be replaced easily or does the whole transmission get rebuilt?

Has anyone heard of this happening before? I wonder if having an aftermarket DS would have had a different outcome? They both bolt up to the factory tail shaft.

Sponsored

OP
OP

stangdan26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
I'm not even sure it comes off to be honest Jamie....no way this could happen with aftermarket setup as they eliminate that terrible rubber ouido thing

OP
OP

stangdan26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
Update - can't get a flange until mid week the earliest. I used a 5 ton 3 jaw puller and pulled the flange out dead straight. Good news? No damage on splines or mating surfaces with the trans......bad news? A little bit of carnage from it spinning around and whacking the other three bolts on the ouido. Took it to SDCE, a local high end speed/fab shop and Scott is repairing and balancing it now so that I can at least drive the car while we wait for a new one. He got all the goods to fix properly.....

LET THIS SERVE AS A WARNING FOR ALL YOU P/A CARS with MT-82. Don't hard launch on the stock driveshaft.

Oh the carnage (and the headache lol)

Such such such a stupid design from the factory...

Last edited:

Infamous

President of Honda
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
Is it safe to assume this will only occur if you are pulling 600+ HP?

OP
OP

stangdan26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
I have no idea what that steel belted rubber thing is rated to but I dead hooked, side stepped the clutch and boom.

Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
So the rubber isolator between the shaft and the tailshaft housing is twisting under load and bending the bolts? Wow!

So the aftermarket driveshafts eliminate that isolator?

OP
OP

stangdan26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
So the rubber isolator between the shaft and the tailshaft housing is twisting under load and bending the bolts? Wow!

So the aftermarket driveshafts eliminate that isolator?

Correct. They use a billet aluminum adapter and convert it to a traditional 4 bolt u joint flange

OP
OP

stangdan26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
Yes but I put a lock washer and nut on the backside along with red locktite. The threads are M12x1.5. I am going to try and figure out if I can switch to the four bolt 11-14 but I'm not to optimistic I'm sure the distance is off....
Sponsored