Helmholtz resonator Air Box

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
I removed the tumor on the stock intake air box. The Helmholtz resonator was decapitated with a hand saw gaining access to a ridge in the base housing. Within the ridge I set a nylon washer 11/4” OD. Using a hole saw 15/8”cut out a blank from the scrap piece. 3M DP 190 epoxy was used to bond the nylon in to the ridge along with bonding the cap that was derived from the scrap piece to the base. The SS cap bolt and lock nut were used as part of assembly but can be removed once the epoxy is cured a logo item can be epoxied to the cap if desired . There is a deeper tone at WOT not day and night but there.

[/url]https://flic.kr/p/HzewZf
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I removed the tumor on the stock intake air box. The Helmholtz resonator was decapitated with a hand saw gaining access to a ridge in the base housing. Within the ridge I set a nylon washer 11/4” OD. Using a hole saw 15/8”cut out a blank from the scrap piece. 3M DP 190 epoxy was used to bond the nylon in to the ridge along with bonding the cap that was derived from the scrap piece to the base. The SS cap bolt and lock nut were used as part of assembly but can be removed once the epoxy is cured a logo item can be epoxied to the cap if desired . There is a deeper tone at WOT not day and night but there.

[/url]https://flic.kr/p/HzewZf

Nice! There is also a resonator on the bottom of the air intake tube. If you remove that and add a K&N air filter then you will have most of the sound and performance of a CAI.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
I cut that off the first night I had my car and covered the hole with a alum disc I made. I wanted to cut the one off the pipe but never did. just made a entirely new intake :p

cool simple mod though :)

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Interesting. I might have to look for an extra stock airbox I can do this too.

OP
OP
DANA44

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
It cleans up that part of the engine compartment. It just looks stupid. I may also remove the wart on the bottom of the intake tube.

Sponsored

andrew.k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Fastback, Magnetic, 051A, MT, 3.55
DANA44 - Well written post, and great pictures. I like reading concise threads.

Thanks.

scooter550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Mustang in Comp Orange

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
When I put my Flowmasters on, they droned like crazy. I added helmholz resonators, and that took care of most of it (I still have some between 1750-1950 rpm).

When I put a CAI on, the drone was back. It was so bad that I took the CAI back off, and it's stashed in my garage now. Guess I ought to put it up for sale sometime...

Just wanted folks considering this to beware of the drone possibility before they start cutting things off.
Sponsored