Heater Core Delete

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
This thread brings up questions I have about present day Mustangs. Why does Ford put heater cores in Mustangs that have coolant running through them. I would think it would be easier to have some kind of electrical heating grid under the dash to save plumbing and cost. Surely, electric vehicles don't have coolants , so they must use electricity to provide heat like a space heater would.
Apparently EVs do have coolant, ethylene glycol, to dissipate battery heat and use that for heating. On especially cold days they use a supplemental heating element, that as NoVaGT points out, drastically reduces range. AC uses an electric motor to circulate refrigerant.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
electric vehicles don't have coolants
As pointed above, that's wrong. My Tesla has a coolant reservoir, just like the Bullitt. The battery pack and motors need cooling too, but obviously not as much as an ICE powertrain. My 2021 Tesla has a new heat pump system, which relies more on coolant than previous models.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Very interesting. I was wondering how the EV provided heat to the occupants. Can the heating units in an EV keep the inside of the car as warm as an ICE powered car in states like Minnesota ?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This thread brings up questions I have about present day Mustangs. Why does Ford put heater cores in Mustangs that have coolant running through them. I would think it would be easier to have some kind of electrical heating grid under the dash to save plumbing and cost. Surely, electric vehicles don't have coolants , so they must use electricity to provide heat like a space heater would.
Because electric heater elements require beefing up the alternator system since electric heating is extremely current intensive. Using engine heat is far more efficient and easier. In some situations it's preferable to do electric though. And not even just on EV's. My friend's Audi Q5 TDI has an electric cabin heater since diesel takes too long to warm up in cold climates.

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Very interesting. I was wondering how the EV provided heat to the occupants. Can the heating units in an EV keep the inside of the car as warm as an ICE powered car in states like Minnesota ?
The Fiesta's and Escapes of last-gen can have an electric booster heater as well as a normal heater core that will heat up the cabin when it's below 40*F or so, so it is possible. As for OP, since it's a dedicated track car, may as well pull the dash and remove the HVAC case (and compressor, etc.) if you don't care about any sort of air blowing at your face/other regions. Otherwise I'd say leave it as it is if you don't plan on removing anything - why plug the heater when you're not removing it?
Sponsored