Sponsored

Heated steering wheel replacement for 18 GT...

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Getting an 18 or 19 GT Premium soon enough to replace my leased 16 GT Premium.
Just wondering if there are any steering wheel replacements yet for the 18 GT that keep the heat function? I really want a flat-bottom steering wheel like the GT350s, but I definitely don't want to lose that heated wheel (been waiting about 54 years for Ford to finally put one in a Mustang, not going to lose it now!)... also if there are any Alcantara wheels with the heat coils, my god, I'd buy that on day-one :p
Sponsored

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
Absolutely would love this as well - Also, the heated wheel has different Airbag mounts where it meets the wheel...so bummed considering I can't even use the GT350 wheel I currently have from my 15 if I did want to loose the heated wheel.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t be certain, but it’s possible you could get your factory heated-wheel D-cut and reupholstered to be similar to a GT350. Certainly the reupholster job is doable...cutting into a wheel with a heating element is another story.

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
The heating element looks to be a flat wire type of element so if you were to pull the padding and wrap down it would likely come off with that - however I saw that there are hair thin sensor wires that are new for the heated wheel. I would be afraid those would get damaged if you were to mess with them too much.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's been almost a year since I posted this and almost 6 months of having my 2019 GT - anything available yet? :D

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It's been almost a year since I posted this and almost 6 months of having my 2019 GT - anything available yet? :D
The general attitude from Ford has been the heated (or cooled) comfort items have not been offered on the performance items. I can see why, not only from a practical standpoint but also from a marketing perspective. You can't be a hard core racer if you have heated seats. Comfort is not part of the equation. Right, wrong or indifferent...

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I love my oem Premium wheel but can see why you want a flat bottom wheel. The heat element in my 18 is head and shoulders over the Nissan & Lexus versions I've had

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The general attitude from Ford has been the heated (or cooled) comfort items have not been offered on the performance items. I can see why, not only from a practical standpoint but also from a marketing perspective. You can't be a hard core racer if you have heated seats. Comfort is not part of the equation. Right, wrong or indifferent...
I have no idea what you're referencing since I'm asking about aftermarket steering wheels that retain the heated function to replace the stock 18/19 steering wheel with.

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have no idea what you're referencing since I'm asking about aftermarket steering wheels that retain the heated function to replace the stock 18/19 steering wheel with.
It may explain the same perspective in the aftermarket, a "performance" part won't be taken seriously if it has comfort features.

Also the answer is no, no one does, nor do I expect them to ever make an aftermarket sport wheel that is heated. I'd love to be proved wrong.

Sponsored

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I was just looking at this again today as well. The '18 steering wheels are different than the 15-17, so I was excited to see GT350 wheels now available for 18's. No heating though... After a couple cold months, I've adapted to the heated wheel in my EBPP, and that thing heats up in seconds! I'm sure an upholstery shop could do the work, but I would also be curious about the heater function on a flat bottom wheel. Could send one out to Kendigit and see what they say. They don't seem to be afraid of technology...

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was just looking at this again today as well. The '18 steering wheels are different than the 15-17, so I was excited to see GT350 wheels now available for 18's. No heating though... After a couple cold months, I've adapted to the heated wheel in my EBPP, and that thing heats up in seconds! I'm sure an upholstery shop could do the work, but I would also be curious about the heater function on a flat bottom wheel. Could send one out to Kendigit and see what they say. They don't seem to be afraid of technology...
Seriously, the lack of a heated steering wheel and the fact that I don't keep multiple cars is why I may not switch out to a GT500 and just bring my 2019 GT PP1 to a Roush dealer for a Stage 3 install :p
I could live without ACC (even though I like it a lot when on a long trip on the turnpike/highway with heavy (but moving) traffic) on a Shelby, but I love my heated wheel and I also love the automatic wiper blades :inlove:

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Seriously, the lack of a heated steering wheel and the fact that I don't keep multiple cars is why I may not switch out to a GT500 and just bring my 2019 GT PP1 to a Roush dealer for a Stage 3 install :p
I could live without ACC (even though I like it a lot when on a long trip on the turnpike/highway with heavy (but moving) traffic) on a Shelby, but I love my heated wheel and I also love the automatic wiper blades :inlove:
I'm willing to give up the heated steering wheel now for a thicker feel steering. However looks like there are no options for 2018+ cars. I've searched everywhere but couldn't find any other than the GT350R steering wheel which comes only in alacantra and i prefer leather :crying:

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Maybe get a stock wheel and have it recovered with more padding? Seems like an easy enough job for an upholstery shop.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Steering wheels are so complicated nowadays....
They used to be used to steer the car with a horn button incorporated somewhere.
I do like the idea of the flat bottom for ingress/egress reasons.
Good luck with the solution resolution.... Standard on MY 2022's :)
Sponsored