Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Try Costco
I have. With the ones I bought there, my ability to understand common words when I couldn't see what the speaker was saying was in the area of 40% left ear and 60% right ear. With the latest top of the line Opticon models it went up to 80% and 90%. Of course, a lot will depend on how much hearing loss you have and what kind.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Thanks everyone for the advise. I plan on hitting up Costco this week.

I might consider tje behind the ear type, but depends on how they fit with glasses. And how secure they are. Working outside might be an issue with them.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
Thanks everyone for the advise. I plan on hitting up Costco this week.

I might consider tje behind the ear type, but depends on how they fit with glasses. And how secure they are. Working outside might be an issue with them.
If you work outside you should check the "wind noise" reduction capability. My last RIC was horrible with wind noise - any time I was outside all I could hear was the wind blowing across the mic.

The comletely-in-canal was a little better, but with the top down on the car I found I needed to pull them out because it was more than the system could reduce. The pair I have right now, "in-the-ear" so much bigger actually handle the wind noise best, I can drive with the top down on the highway and very little wind noise.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
If you work outside you should check the "wind noise" reduction capability. My last RIC was horrible with wind noise - any time I was outside all I could hear was the wind blowing across the mic.

The comletely-in-canal was a little better, but with the top down on the car I found I needed to pull them out because it was more than the system could reduce. The pair I have right now, "in-the-ear" so much bigger actually handle the wind noise best, I can drive with the top down on the highway and very little wind noise.
Good to know. I'm a windows type of guy, so that would make a difference. And I'm outside a lot working. Either in treed and undeveloped ground, or on a construction site.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Over the years, I got used to not wearing my hearing aids in the car. The combination of wind noise and feedback from sound bouncing off windows was just too annoying. My wife said it sounded like she was riding with R2D2. My latest pair eliminate these problems. I don't know if it's because they were so expensive or because general hearing technology has just advanced that much.

In general, hearing aids work a lot better at home or other places where there isn't a lot of background noise. So, I still don't use them in my car very often. I was surprised how noisy my Mustang engine is the first time I heard it with my hearing aids. Not hearing much can be very peaceful.

Sponsored

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Over the years, I got used to not wearing my hearing aids in the car. The combination of wind noise and feedback from sound bouncing off windows was just too annoying. My wife said it sounded like she was riding with R2D2. My latest pair eliminate these problems. I don't know if it's because they were so expensive or because general hearing technology has just advanced that much.

In general, hearing aids work a lot better at home or other places where there isn't a lot of background noise. So, I still don't use them in my car very often. I was surprised how noisy my Mustang engine is the first time I heard it with my hearing aids. Not hearing much can be very peaceful.
Your provider should have run a feedback loop to teach the aids. That eliminated most of the whistles from being near a closed window. I find that I have to go in for an adjustment and have the feedback loop run about twice a year. Your latest pair either was better technology like you said, or your provider made sure to run a feedback loop when doing the fitting this time.

It can also be caused by sound 'leaking' around a bad fitting aid.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
It can also be caused by sound 'leaking' around a bad fitting aid.
I used open ear pieces for the longest time, because it felt more natural. So, sound leakage was intentional. They finally convinced me to go to closed ear pieces on my latest set. It makes a lot of difference, but I still don't like the way they feel.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
When I had mine tweaked a bit more in the upper frequency ranges (and I think into one band lower than previously) I got the 'solid' domes instead of the vented kind I'd had before. I also got the ability to turn the sound up/down. My point here being that even the solid kind can have feedback under some conditions (like holding your hand up to your ear). There may be more of this trouble with one ear than with the other, which probably points to how well they conform to your ears.

Norm

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Well, got my new hearing aids. Unitron bte. Gonna take some getting used to. I can't tell if one of the is working half the time, and the left one doesn't fit as well as the right. But, I can hear some things much better. May have to have the doc add a tune where I tune out the wife!!

Sponsored

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Well, got my new hearing aids. Unitron bte. Gonna take some getting used to. I can't tell if one of the is working half the time, and the left one doesn't fit as well as the right. But, I can hear some things much better. May have to have the doc add a tune where I tune out the wife!!
It may take some time to adjust to the "new sounds" - usually you have to go in for adjustments after a couple of weeks as you get used to it.

My first provider said that he was asked about doing a "men's night" where we would bring our wives in so he could get a sample of them talking and then he could set one of the setting to block that pitch!

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
It may take some time to adjust to the "new sounds" - usually you have to go in for adjustments after a couple of weeks as you get used to it.

My first provider said that he was asked about doing a "men's night" where we would bring our wives in so he could get a sample of them talking and then he could set one of the setting to block that pitch!
Did they male you tired at first? I was asleep on the couch last night at 8:30. We were watching the Dateline show on tv, it was about my wife's former boss, and next thing I know, my kid is laughing at me for be asleep before his mother.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Did they male you tired at first? I was asleep on the couch last night at 8:30. We were watching the Dateline show on tv, it was about my wife's former boss, and next thing I know, my kid is laughing at me for be asleep before his mother.
Not that I can recall. Although the change is such that you are experiencing a lot of "new" information coming in so that could make you tired.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Not that I can recall. Although the change is such that you are experiencing a lot of "new" information coming in so that could make you tired.
That is true, it's sensory overload. I find not hearing much is often preferable. It's quiet, relaxing and easier to concentrate.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
I think it's the sensory overload. Unfortunately, my tinnitus kicks into high gear when it gets quiet.

I think I should probably just go wash the car. That'll cure what ails me!
Sponsored