Headlights turned off last night in auto mode

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
Anyone ever have an issue with the headlights turning off while in auto mode at night? I was driving on the highway last night and they just cut off all of a sudden. I had to turn them on manual mode and then put it back on auto and they stayed on fine. It was a bright part of the highway with a lot of lighting so could that have threw off the sensor?
Sponsored

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Quick question, did you notice a change in the brightness of your instrument cluster?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's possible the lights have tons of inferred light flooding the sensor even through human eyes don't see the visible light being not that strong.

OP
OP
TruBlue16

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
Quick question, did you notice a change in the brightness of your instrument cluster?
Actually my instrument cluster is set to the blue color but when the lights cut off the color changed to standard white

OP
OP
TruBlue16

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
It's possible the lights have tons of inferred light flooding the sensor even through human eyes don't see the visible light being not that strong.
You would think they have it figured out by now how to deal with light interference on these sensors or bright spots on the highway at night

Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
that is what the delay feature is for. Having the longer delay is there to accout for light to dark situations like tunnels or brite lights.

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Actually my instrument cluster is set to the blue color but when the lights cut off the color changed to standard white
Wow, that's a bit trickier to diagnose...

Generally, HID's have a tendency to begin shutting down after long periods of use when the ballast begins to fail. However, this sounds more along the lines of a LCM issue. It shouldn't reset itself randomly like that. I'd have your local dealer pull the module up on the can-buss to see if any error codes exist.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You would think they have it figured out by now how to deal with light interference on these sensors or bright spots on the highway at night
I don't even use auto anymore. Just do it manually.
I don't like how in auto mode the headlights turn on when the vehicle is not running.

OP
OP
TruBlue16

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
that is what the delay feature is for. Having the longer delay is there to accout for light to dark situations like tunnels or brite lights.
I didnt notice that feature in the settings but will check it out

Wow, that's a bit trickier to diagnose...

Generally, HID's have a tendency to begin shutting down after long periods of use when the ballast begins to fail. However, this sounds more along the lines of a LCM issue. It shouldn't reset itself randomly like that. I'd have your local dealer pull the module up on the can-buss to see if any error codes exist.
I will give it another chance after messing with the delay feature suggested by GoBlues38 but if it happens again i will definitely do that.

I don't even use auto anymore. Just do it manually.
I don't like how in auto mode the headlights turn on when the vehicle is not running.
Yeah that is kind of annoying. I've been doing manual control lights on all my cars for a long time and I might just revert back to that eventually as well.

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
The car probably thought you were a "Terminator" and did not need the lights since you already have infrared vision! LOL

Sponsored
OP
OP
TruBlue16

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
The car probably thought you were a "Terminator" and did not need the lights since you already have infrared vision! LOL
Well I do have infrared and night vision and it would be no problem for me to drive with no lights. It's just the other ordinary night blind humans that are the problem :D

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The delay is to keep the lights on after turning off the car. It has nothing to do with automatic headlights.

OP
OP
TruBlue16

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
The delay is to keep the lights on after turning off the car. It has nothing to do with automatic headlights.
Well there goes that theory

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I've never actually seen that happen. I can't imagine there would ever be enough light inside the car to cause them to turn off.

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
That would happen because MyColor is not active during the "day" which your light sensor thought it was.

I would report the issue next time you are at the dealer. Either your light sensor is out of spec or there is a wiring issue to it. IMHO
Sponsored