Dave_RTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Race Red Shelby GT350
Hey all!

Looking for opinions on longtubes. My brother just got them on his 19 GT and now I am itching to do something. All opinions are appreciated!
Sponsored

Buckwampum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (which replaces my 2011 GT500, which replaced my 2002 Z06)
What is the gain? I'm ignorant here, but interested. Are there before/after dyno results?

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
What is the gain? I'm ignorant here, but interested. Are there before/after dyno results?
Negligible. You might pick up some HP under the curve, like 3-5 if you do the whole exhaust and tune it. Else, exhaust without changing anything else is simply for how you like the car to sound.

JakeLethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
Hey all!

Looking for opinions on longtubes. My brother just got them on his 19 GT and now I am itching to do something. All opinions are appreciated!
So I would guess possibly 20-30HP gain? Some people cant justify that due to cost for a set of headers. However, it's realistically gonna be the sound that you pay for, in my opinion.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
If you want to mod start with a flex tune. Good bang for the buck and no fear of warranty hit like a catless header brings. Also you can load a tune by yourself. Most people don't want to deal with installing headers. Big job for a novice.

Sponsored

Buckwampum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (which replaces my 2011 GT500, which replaced my 2002 Z06)
So I would guess possibly 20-30HP gain? Some people cant justify that due to cost for a set of headers. However, it's realistically gonna be the sound that you pay for, in my opinion.
So is the relatively small gain impacted by the FPC in the 5.2? What might you see as a gain from the same headers in a 5.0 Mach 1 with its CPC?

The GT350 sounds pretty healthy already, at least to my old ears, so I’m curious about power/torque gains and to learn if the FPC configuration in the 350 does not gain much benefit from the aftermarket exhaust.

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Show me a 350 that picks up 20-30 hp with headers/ exhaust. A Palm beach dyno tune for example even with e85 only picked up 12-15hp.

JakeLethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
So is the relatively small gain impacted by the FPC in the 5.2? What might you see as a gain from the same headers in a 5.0 Mach 1 with its CPC?

The GT350 sounds pretty healthy already, at least to my old ears, so I’m curious about power/torque gains and to learn if the FPC configuration in the 350 does not gain much benefit from the aftermarket exhaust.
So, as @ShatterPoints corrected me on, it would be a minimal power gain. I personally seen the coyote motors make that 20-30HP or so with headers. But, still my opinion would be the real gain you would get would be sound.

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So, as @ShatterPoints corrected me on, it would be a minimal power gain. I personally seen the coyote motors make that 20-30HP or so with headers. But, still my opinion would be the real gain you would get would be sound.
LoL I was about to throw money at exhaust if it got me that much.
hqdefault.jpg

I know you can get 15whp swapping the downpipe on an f30 bmw. But it's turbo'd and has a restrictive exhaust to begin with.

Sponsored

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
The gain from L/T's is going to be completely dependent upon what modifications you have on the car and/or are going to put on there. If you are not going to run E85 (Like really 75%+ ethanol content) then you're not going to see the kind of gains you're expecting it to have.

These cars have a 12:1 compression ratio from the factory and as such they love/need high-octane fuel to really take full advantage of that with how much ignition timing you can run. 93-octane is great for what it is, but it simply does not offer the kind of protection from detonation that is needed to really have these cars shine.

If you are looking for like an all-out build without going into the motor itself, get the following:

- American Racing 2" L/T's with O/R X-Pipe and your cat-back of choice (Cat-back is optional, but I'm putting that in there for all-out purposes since the gain from that is probably less than 5hp, if that)

- JLT CAI

- QA1 Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

- E85 tune from Lund or PBD and make sure you have good E85 (75%+ or race E85 like One Ethanol R or Ignite Red)

If you do that, it will REALLY wake the car up and it'll sound killer.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Dave_RTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Race Red Shelby GT350
Thank you all for the responses! I still want to pass inspection - would a route of long tubes, CAI, and E85 tune be a good choice? I have a resonator delete currently.

I see American Racing L/T shoutout, any other opinions? Also unsure of what CAI to go with. It is a daily (although I don't drive much - COVID limits it a bit but in 11 months I have put on 1700 miles).

Thanks!

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Thank you all for the responses! I still want to pass inspection - would a route of long tubes, CAI, and E85 tune be a good choice? I have a resonator delete currently.

I see American Racing L/T shoutout, any other opinions? Also unsure of what CAI to go with. It is a daily (although I don't drive much - COVID limits it a bit but in 11 months I have put on 1700 miles).

Thanks!
Since you are in TX like me, you'll just need to make sure that you have catalytic converters on the car when it is inspected and that it has no CEL's. As long as those two things are good, you'll pass any computer or visual inspection that's done on the car.

I'm not sure on the particulars in Travis county there in Austin, but I highly doubt you'll have to pass a sniffer test so you can run it on 93 or E85 (whatever you are tuned for) when you go inspect it.

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Since you are in TX like me, you'll just need to make sure that you have catalytic converters on the car when it is inspected and that it has no CEL's. As long as those two things are good, you'll pass any computer or visual inspection that's done on the car.

I'm not sure on the particulars in Travis county there in Austin, but I highly doubt you'll have to pass a sniffer test so you can run it on 93 or E85 (whatever you are tuned for) when you go inspect it.
They do obd ready codes. No sniffer. If you don't throw a cell you're good.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I'd look for some honest dyno results before wasting a ton of money. The car comes with short tube headers anyway. Headers, E85 tune, resonator delete and you gain 15 horses, is it worth it?

There is no E85 in my area so that is a pointless exercise for me. A $1900 set of headers and a ten hour install for more noise? Car sounds great stock.
Sponsored