Sponsored

Has anyone set up a courtesy drop ship?

OMGPonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Track Pack
I'm in CA and buying a car from a NY dealer. Would strongly prefer the car just start out heading west and get prepped here. I have a dealership that has 100% confirmed they will take delivery and prep the car as a favor since we have a great relationship, I just wasn't the right buyer for their high markup GT350 allocation and they respectfully understood.

I gave the NY selling dealer the CA dealer and manager's info - but haven't heard anything for a few weeks. What can I/should I do to push this along and make sure it gets set up before it's too late? Just wondering if anyone has successfully set this up so I can tell if it's normal to not hear much about it, or if it should be confirmed by now. The CA dealer seemed more educated about drop ships than the NY dealer, so maybe I should ask them to communicate the other direction to get it rolling. My car does not have a build date or VIN yet and is expected 1Q 2016 if that matters.
Sponsored

TraKWeapon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack On Order
I am and my DORA lists the ship to dealer as my local dealer. In the remarks section it states "courtesy delivery". Both dealers are familiar with the process but for now it's just sit back and wait until my car gets pulled for production which I expect late this year or early 2016.

Good luck!

OP
OP

OMGPonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Track Pack
Thanks.. no DORA yet for me, only the preview order sheet. So I won't get too nervous about it just yet. :)

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500
I was wondering a while back if this is something that was even in the realm of possibility. Sounds like it is. So far, my dealer has been very awesome. Might have to ask about this. ;)

Would love to save the 28 hour round trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

OMGPonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Track Pack
I was wondering a while back if this is something that was even in the realm of possibility. Sounds like it is. So far, my dealer has been very awesome. Might have to ask about this. ;)

Would love to save the 28 hour round trip!

I think it will take a lot of stress out of the delivery process for me, having to ship the car with a 3rd party carrier after dealer prep seems like a big risk. Definitely ask around at some local dealers and see who might help. I got quotes between $1000-$1500 on the receiving dealer side but fortunately ended up with one dealer willing to do it for no charge. Even if there was a charge, I think it would be favorable to shipping costs and risk.

By the way.. pretty cool that we will both have '66 and '16 Mustangs! :ford:

Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
How does this courtesy shipping work? The dealer that placed the order takes delivery and sends to your preferred dealer?

I'd like to get some more info on this as I already have a shipping company on standby and if I can save that cost it would be great.

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I think it will take a lot of stress out of the delivery process for me, having to ship the car with a 3rd party carrier after dealer prep seems like a big risk. Definitely ask around at some local dealers and see who might help. I got quotes between $1000-$1500 on the receiving dealer side but fortunately ended up with one dealer willing to do it for no charge. Even if there was a charge, I think it would be favorable to shipping costs and risk.

By the way.. pretty cool that we will both have '66 and '16 Mustangs! :ford:

That is way cool! Had my '66 since shortly before I could drive! Drove it all thru high school and college. Had kids, and it's sat ever since. :( Still a work in progress. One day it will be finished!

Thanks for the info! That will be a huge stress reliever if I can work this out!

TraKWeapon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack On Order
How does this courtesy shipping work? The dealer that placed the order takes delivery and sends to your preferred dealer?

I'd like to get some more info on this as I already have a shipping company on standby and if I can save that cost it would be great.

Ford ships to every dealer every week so there is no charge to have your car shipped to another dealer. Both the ordering and receiving dealer must agree and communicate with each other. The receiving dealer does the pre delivery inspection (PDI) and must complete some paperwork so they typically charge you to accept the car which I think is fair. It's typically $500-1,000 and is negotiable. You pay the ordering dealer for the car and it probably needs to be paid after the car is produced but before it ships. Again negotiable.

Havoc27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT 350 / Track Pack ordered/VIN 0621
I'm in CA and buying a car from a NY dealer. Would strongly prefer the car just start out heading west and get prepped here. I have a dealership that has 100% confirmed they will take delivery and prep the car as a favor since we have a great relationship, I just wasn't the right buyer for their high markup GT350 allocation and they respectfully understood.

I gave the NY selling dealer the CA dealer and manager's info - but haven't heard anything for a few weeks. What can I/should I do to push this along and make sure it gets set up before it's too late? Just wondering if anyone has successfully set this up so I can tell if it's normal to not hear much about it, or if it should be confirmed by now. The CA dealer seemed more educated about drop ships than the NY dealer, so maybe I should ask them to communicate the other direction to get it rolling. My car does not have a build date or VIN yet and is expected 1Q 2016 if that matters.

I am buying mine from Maryland, shipping to Northern California was gonna to cost me 2K, per your post i contacted a local dealer and he's very happy to receive my baby for $250 dollars. :cheers::cheers::cheers:
I already have a vin and FPV said I have a build date of 10/20/15.....

yeaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for this info! I now have the dealer I'm purchasing from willing to drop ship. Emailed my local dealer to see if they are willing and how much it might cost me. This will save me a 28 hour round trip!

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I reached out to a local dealer in AZ and their fee is $350. Sounds good to me! I emailed my purchasing dealer, hopefully they won't give me the run-around.

chrsschb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 WRX
Ford ships to every dealer every week so there is no charge to have your car shipped to another dealer. Both the ordering and receiving dealer must agree and communicate with each other. The receiving dealer does the pre delivery inspection (PDI) and must complete some paperwork so they typically charge you to accept the car which I think is fair. It's typically $500-1,000 and is negotiable. You pay the ordering dealer for the car and it probably needs to be paid after the car is produced but before it ships. Again negotiable.
This. My local dealer is charging $350 for the drop ship.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Im local to the dealership that Havoc is using, they agreed to take my car for the same price. Now I need to convince my dealer to make the change, they did not want to bother with it when I first ordered the car. The money I save on the transport will basically pay the extra sales tax I still owe commiefornia, not bad!
Sponsored