Sponsored

Has anyone given thought to this monumental change that’s about to occur? In less than 2 years…

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Hello; Good read. I am one who wants the EV to be cheaper than a similar ICE, not more expensive.
No reason the ev's are so much. it removed much of the moving parts.
Problem is it is the fad. so it'll be costly.
Just like trucks were somewhat cheap till yuppies made it their vehicle of choice, then the prices went straight up.
Ev's are like if ford said 2wd trucks will be the same price as 4wd, even with less parts cost, just because.
Sponsored

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Hello; I am old enough to have watched the Interstate system slowly be built. I started driving in 1963. At first no interstate was near my home In Middlesboro KY. By I967 I was attending college In Morehead KY. As I drove north and south between home and school The interstate I75 moved south. At first it was not until Richmond KY that i could get on I75. Later I got on at Berea. Then later Livingston. Finally, I75 made it to Corbin KY. Best I recall the early interstate was all concrete.

The cost and time to lay concrete is much more than asphalt is my understanding. But using concrete does not fit in with the "green" ideas because of the energy used to make the cement and the CO2 released during the process.
One enemy is CO2 and cement production releases a lot of that. Mainly from the fuel used to heat and turn the limestone into cement. There may be some CO2 release from the limestone also. Limestone is made of shells of sea creatures which make a hard shell and then die and form a layer at the bottom of shallow seas.

Best i understand now both fossil fuels and cement are targets of the "green" agenda. Let me ask it another way. Does the use of concrete for roads save CO2 over the use of oil based asphalt?
I'm not sure, not not having all those petroleum chemicals put down surely must offset the CO2 from concrete. Asphalt is smooth, but needs constant replacing.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I'm not sure, not not having all those petroleum chemicals put down surely must offset the CO2 from concrete. Asphalt is smooth, but needs constant replacing.
Hello; That is a big part of the question. Getting rid of fossil fuels just because they are out of favor without a strong look into what we can use to replace them is not a solid plan. The tars used in roads pretty much stays in place near as I can tell. Now days they grind up the surface of the old asphalt and I hope it is recycled into new asphalt.

I know from doing cement work and watching asphalt being put down the asphalt seems so much easier to lay down and is very much quicker. You can drive on it right away.
Concrete does eventually go bad on a highway and seems much harder to repair. Even after the stuff is laid in a form it has to set up for a while to be strong enough to drive on. Then the forms have to be removed.

I will be looking up these questions and will post information as I find it.

The general question is if all fossil fuels are no longer being used, then what replaces them? In medical use for example. I am old enough to have had shots from a glass syringe. They were used over and over again by being sterilized in an autoclave. The stainless steel needles as well. Best I can recall the needles were a bigger bore than the throw away plastic syringe now used.

I am also old enough to recall a time when food stuff was not packaged in plastic. One of my early jobs was on a Coca-Cola truck. The driver hired guys like me to help with the returnable bottles. My job was to go round up all the coke empties and sort them from Pepsi and RC. Put them in wooden crates and load the empties on the truck. We hauled the empty bottles back and they were cleaned to be refilled.

I get that the current mood is to do away with all fossil fuels. I get that my opinion on that does not seem likely to be considered so my question stands. What will replace them and what will the financial and environmental costs be. But more specifically today what will we pave the roads with. I do not think the "green" agenda like concrete from what i have seen and read about. What is left?

Back in my youth there were lots and lots of gravel roads. That worked but I did not much care for them.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Meh, People that are not voted into office by the people should not be making regulations that we have no choice of following or not.
There are too many ABC dept's that do as they please that were never put in place by the people.
This happens are the local/state and fed level.
Most times those running these abc dept. have no clue and just set regulations and then think The lead from bewitched will wiggle her nose and all will be right with the world.
No matter what side of the aisle you lean, This should be allarming.
So with your logic, if only elected officials can make rules and regulations, we will need millions more politicians and countless more elections with all the extra bureaucracy to run it and extra cost , and we will end up with people that can’t be fired because they are elected…..don’t seems to be a better solution to what we have now

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
Last time they resurfaced I-90/I-94 though Chicago was 1990-92 a 3 year project. Well worth the extra time to have 40 years of virtually no work instead of them doing it every 3-5 years, and taking spring to fall to finish a resurface with asphalt. Concrete is so much more durable (and much better traction too). My street in front of my store has been repaved with asphalt twice since I moved in in 2014. If it was concrete it would've been once for the rest of my lifetime.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
So with your logic, if only elected officials can make rules and regulations, we will need millions more politicians and countless more elections with all the extra bureaucracy to run it and extra cost , and we will end up with people that can’t be fired because they are elected…..don’t seems to be a better solution to what we have now
Hello; I am not speaking for ICU812. My take is we ordinary citizens ought to have some say so in the regulations we have to live with. What seems to have happened in a cadre of folks in the alphabet agencies start with a set of laws passed at some point for a specific problem. The agencies never go away and over time they manage to expand the scope of their powers to decree mandates.
Many politicians do not have the background to understand some complex things so the "experts" in a field have a place in the process. However, these agencies have managed to become powers all their own and do not seem to have to answer even to the politicians. If the mandates and regulations in place today happen to be something you favor, such will be good for you today. At some point they will get around to something you do not favor and you will be like those of us today with little to no recourse for an unelected bureaucracy screwing with our lives.
How would you like to be a restaurant owner the last two years?

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT / 68 Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Last time they resurfaced I-90/I-94 though Chicago was 1990-92 a 3 year project. Well worth the extra time to have 40 years of virtually no work instead of them doing it every 3-5 years, and taking spring to fall to finish a resurface with asphalt. Concrete is so much more durable (and much better traction too). My street in front of my store has been repaved with asphalt twice since I moved in in 2014. If it was concrete it would've been once for the rest of my lifetime.
That may be so, but again we get into the "we are not looking past our noses" situation caused by the bandwagon effect of the move to "green".

Asphalt is cheaper to use than concrete. So we all decide that asphalt is the devil because it uses fossil fuels and move to concrete. Who's gonna pay for it? Current tax rates? Not gonna happen...

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Hello; I am not speaking for ICU812. My take is we ordinary citizens ought to have some say so in the regulations we have to live with. What seems to have happened in a cadre of folks in the alphabet agencies start with a set of laws passed at some point for a specific problem. The agencies never go away and over time they manage to expand the scope of their powers to decree mandates.
Many politicians do not have the background to understand some complex things so the "experts" in a field have a place in the process. However, these agencies have managed to become powers all their own and do not seem to have to answer even to the politicians. If the mandates and regulations in place today happen to be something you favor, such will be good for you today. At some point they will get around to something you do not favor and you will be like those of us today with little to no recourse for an unelected bureaucracy screwing with our lives.
How would you like to be a restaurant owner the last two years?
Regarding your restaurant comment:
They are a lot of industries that have suffered under the Covid epidemic, from airlines to cruises to amusement parks, etc
Which rules or regulations are you holding responsible for the restaurant industry issues?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
That may be so, but again we get into the "we are not looking past our noses" situation caused by the bandwagon effect of the move to "green".

Asphalt is cheaper to use than concrete. So we all decide that asphalt is the devil because it uses fossil fuels and move to concrete. Who's gonna pay for it? Current tax rates? Not gonna happen...
Concrete is only marginally higher in cost, and would SAVE money over time vs. Asphalt. Asphalt costs about $3 a sq ft, Concrete about $5 a sq. Concrete lasts 10 times longer. Simple math tells you it costs less as a solution.
Sponsored