The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
The myth of buying "cheaper from the states" is usually a fallacy that relies on smuggling in parts with no customs charges on.

For example here is a CJ import to the UK of a set of Hood Struts similar in price to Steeda struts (which are the best quality on the market), but slightly cheaper by $5.

Guess what. Its significantly MORE expensive than buying from Steeda UK at our normal price. And with the offer, its a lot more expensive...

CJ Hood Struts.jpg

Pictures say a thousand words... So lets say you get Bank of England flat rate exchange when purchasing dollars (which no one does) then at today's $1.29 the price would be £170.86.

Take the price up to represent Steeda struts which retail at $134.95 and it becomes £174.73. Factor in a "credit card rate" of exchange and it becomes something more like £178.

Thats £20 more than our normal retail delivered price, and £43 cheaper with the above offer.

Just to cover off the top mounts referenced by HInch weren't smuggled in, they were bought in using stackry but the value of the package and customs paid represented that of the price we paid from steeda usa, it worked out a good £100+ cheaper, now obviously that's just a single instane; but just want to make sure that all of the facts are their for that situation. What the other people buying did, no idea lol!

A lot of buying from the USA always depends on the shipping price, shipping the hood struts you mentioned can be done for <$20 and then toss on 24% of 150 for taxed (So $36), that's on the top end $56+$130

So $186 for hood struts, all done 'legally non smuggling' etc. Which works out in current EX rates at £121.12 delivered door to door.

Naturally as a business you'll be bringing in numerous products, at less than the list price (Because lets be honest nobody is that naïve to think you guys don't sell at a profit), with bulk shipping, just incase anyone was naïve to believe otherwise.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Steeda UK

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
You are entitled to your opinions of course, but I am offering a discount to the forum members. The facts on price speak for themselves from my post above.
Over and above price, you are dealing with a UK company and also usually getting next day delivery.

If you think it's better that we don't offer discounts to the forum members thats also fine. Perhaps other members of the forum might like to decide for themselves...

I am certainly not here for an argument, I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year and offer a discount opportunity to the community. Thanks for deflating my good will...... 8(

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
we do indeed appreciate the good will and we're not picking on you for the sake of picking on you but this is twice now steeda uk have offered "discounts" which are clearly not discounts in any possible meaning of the word.
we all like a good deal and a discount especially since we get ripped off on the vehicle purchase price in the first place with the 1:1 exchange rate ford use but when you're marked up considerably higher than 1:1 I don't think any of us will like that.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
You are entitled to your opinions of course, but I am offering a discount to the forum members. The facts on price speak for themselves from my post above.
Over and above price, you are dealing with a UK company and also usually getting next day delivery.

If you think it's better that we don't offer discounts to the forum members thats also fine. Perhaps other members of the forum might like to decide for themselves...

I am certainly not here for an argument, I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year and offer a discount opportunity to the community. Thanks for deflating my good will...... 8(
I don't think this is about the premise of discounts, I think it's more the standard price being "too high" compared to your American counterpart.

OP
OP
Steeda UK

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Its very simple to understand prices being higher:

1. exchange rate is currently around $1.25 to £1 more or less, especially if you take card rates.
2. Import tax and Vat = 25%

So. Retail price in USD is the same as retail price in GBP (inc tax and VAT) WHILE STILL IN THE USA.

3. Shipping transatlantic is expensive, plus handling fees, clearance fees, etc
4. Tax and VAT is ALSO paid on shipping. so actual cost is: (Part + Shipping) + 25%

Everyone thinks thats prices should be cheaper, but all the above explains what pricing is.
We are very realistic and know people can buy things from the US. That's why we check prices vs imports from the US, e.g Via CJ. and others, and why our prices are nearly always cheaper. Even without a discount.
We really wish we could offer parts cheaper, but we offer as good a deal as possible on our retail prices, which is partly why we cant offer deep discounts as offers, as our prices are very competitive to start with.

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
lets say a part costs 100 dollars and on your 1:1 lets say it costs 100 pounds after import are you really expecting us to believe you pay retail price for your parts ? pull the other one i suspect there's at least 20% margin in it so in reality you probably pay 80 dollars for the part which again lets be generous and say thats 1:1 (its not tax is now lower) so thats 80 quid you stick 20 quid profit on figure thats back to the 100 quid however what you're actually doing is then saying "fuck this lets rob them some more" and selling the part at £130 quid and THEN saying well we'll give you a 20 quid discount and sell it you at £110. pull the other one fellas a lot of us have been in business doing exactly this for a very long time we know how it works.

You could sell those lifters at £100 and STILL probably be in profit as I suspect your markup is well over 20%

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda need to make a profit! - no problem - that's what they are in business for

BUT - This whole thread is actually backfiring!

Hinch is right - no one has a problem with you making a profit

I am sorry that the statement ....
Thanks for deflating my good will...... 8(
makes this personal - IT ISN'T!

the feeling is that you are making this into a great discount - when actually it really isnt that much

Shame really ...

Bob

OP
OP
Steeda UK

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
No one said "great discount"....I said we will do an offer on something the forum chooses.
Some people responded in good faith. I made an offer.

As Adam says, popcorn ensued, so I give up, as apparently £23 off a £158 deal is an insult to some people. Lesson learned.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
As I said... it isn't personal

Its economics and business

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Tbh, at 120 US v 135 UK I reckon I'd buy from the UK both because it keeps the business in-house and in case of any problems I can get assistance. At full price I may be tempted to take the risk, but I certainly appreciate the offer.
At some point I'll be in the market for a hood. A year ago I'd have been buying from the US and shipping via STS however now I'd prefer to pay the premium and order through Nemesis. Much less hassle and risk.

Just my two cents...plus shipping, vat and duty :wink:
Sponsored