Sponsored

Happy Birthday Mustang!!

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
Lmao, that's an awesome commercial. Too bad we don't get ones like that in the US (that I've seen)

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I love it right up to the point where it says Camaro. Then I throw up a little in my mouth.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So the Camaro was recently "reborn". When will it get to 54 - assuming Chevrolet doesn't stop production again in the near future?

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
All in good fun.... :thumbsup:

Looks like chevy and camaro are celebrating Mustang and are conceding the up coming 2nd death of camaro. Oh by the way if you didn't know Mustang killed camaro the 1st time to.

OP
OP
martinjlm

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Looks like chevy and camaro are celebrating Mustang and are conceding the up coming 2nd death of camaro. Oh by the way if you didn't know Mustang killed camaro the 1st time to.
Ummm nope. I was in the hospital room when it was taken off life support. :lol:

Seriously, though.... I was in GM Product Planning when the decision was made to drop Camaro. The reason(s) it was dropped had more to do with
  1. GM had way too many models and was in the middle of deciding which models and/ or brands (Buick or Pontiac or Saturn or Saab) to drop. Camaro and several other vehicles wound up on the wrong side of the line. As did Pontiac, Saab, and Saturn.
  2. One of the reasons Camaro wound up on the wrong side of the line was the expense required to either upgrade the F-Body platform to meet new crash, safety, and fuel economy requirements or move it to a more capable architecture. The money to do this would have required eliminating some other new, more profitable product.
  3. Once decision to NOT upgrade F-Body was made, there were no other RWD architectures in the portfolio to build a real Camaro and no money to engineer a new one, except Sigma for Cadillac. There was Zeta in Australia, but that came with some pretty stringent import issues, including a volume cap (GTO) UNLESS decisions were made to localize it, which actually eventually happened with Gen5

That's probably as much detail as I can provide without getting in trouble.