Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Question: what do wheel lips do?
I believe it was stated in one of the videos with Jim Owens that they added them due to legal reasons, tyres shouldn't stick out of the fenders. Rocks was probably another reason.
Sponsored

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
I've noticed while looking at Mach 1 for sale ads that some w/ the handling pkg have these front wheel lips and others do not

OP
OP

Pardsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mustang Mach 1
I've noticed while looking at Mach 1 for sale ads that some w/ the handling pkg have these front wheel lips and others do not
They were (and may still be) on back order from the manufacturer. Also, some people don’t like them and don’t want them installed so dealers don’t do it unless instructed by the buyer. I picked up a spare set from a dealer because the purchaser of one didn’t want them.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
I believe it was stated in one of the videos with Jim Owens that they added them due to legal reasons, tyres shouldn't stick out of the fenders. Rocks was probably another reason.
Most states require 100% coverage of the top of the tire, no poke, or you will get a fix-it ticket. Ford did it to make the wider poking tires legal.

After witnessing first hand, the lousy roads and road construction techniques in Colorado, I understand completely. I have heard of 4x4's there having to get towed or repaired in place,(wheel lips installed, even temperory cardboard and duct tape) especially out of state or if the poke is bad enough.