Sponsored

GT350R Splitter

FHGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
So this maybe my only complaint about driving this car is I worry about the front end dragging at any given cross road.

Any advice how to not tear it up other than driving slow and approaching at angles?

Anyone try those ZL1 washers? - Not sure I'd want to drill into the splitter.. kind defeats the purpose.

Thanks
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You don't drill them in. You screw them in with nary a pilot hole.

I just added a few of them to a brand new R splitter in strategic locations based on where I saw damage to my non-R splitter.

Your R splitter will take a beating no matter how careful you may try to be. It's a consumable and an expensive one at that. The splitter "savers" help to prolong the inevitable.

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So this maybe my only complaint about driving this car is I worry about the front end dragging at any given cross road.

Any advice how to not tear it up other than driving slow and approaching at angles?

Anyone try those ZL1 washers? - Not sure I'd want to drill into the splitter.. kind defeats the purpose.

Thanks

I've installed ZL washers on my splitter. As far as function goes, you cannot beat carbon steel. No regrets at all! Every so often, I might scrape it lightly. However, I know that the washers are doing the scraping and not the splitter. There's no drilling..... they come with self tapping screws.

350buyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Taco
Haha, you must have posted this while I was typing my driveway entrance thread.

straightliner1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R #HR262 / 2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali
Your R splitter will take a beating no matter how careful you may try to be. It's a consumable and an expensive one at that. The splitter "savers" help to prolong the inevitable.
My R splitter looks like I beat it because it owes me money. I'm careful but even at slow speeds and sideways like an 90's lowrider, I drag. I drag twice exiting and entering my driveway. I can't avoid it.

Does anyone make titanium rivets like the ZL1 items? I need something harder than aluminum to slow the wear. *sobstory*

Sponsored

ClassicStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
You don't drill them in. You screw them in with nary a pilot hole.

I just added a few of them to a brand new R splitter in strategic locations based on where I saw damage to my non-R splitter.

But it adds so much weight to the front end... :ninja:

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
This is the first car I've ever actually scraped on the highway at 40mph just because of the elevation changes. I didn't even know that was possible.

alevine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Porsche GT3, '15 BMW M3, '17 GT350R, '05 997
Strange. I have not hit my R splitter on anything. Maybe my car is higher than others???

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 BOSS302, 29 Model A Roadster
I have thought about making a thin wall conforming fit wear plate attached to the underside of the splitter. while this would shield the splitter the whole front facia is going to see the forces generated every time the splitter makes contact ... that will eventually take its tole and eventually require complete replacement of the plastic stuff.

Only other thing to consider is increasing ride height. That would not be visually appealing and likely affect o/a handling.

Sponsored

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
I have thought about making a thin wall conforming fit wear plate attached to the underside of the splitter. while this would shield the splitter the whole front facia is going to see the forces generated every time the splitter makes contact ... that will eventually take its tole and eventually require complete replacement of the plastic stuff.

Only other thing to consider is increasing ride height. That would not be visually appealing and likely affect o/a handling.
I like that sacrificial layer idea along with self tapping holes, I'd buy one.

OP
OP
FHGT350R

FHGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Thanks for that thread.... that was som great info.

Do you know if the rivits are just there to protect the splitter? Can they be replaced?
The rivets can be replaced I(You will need a special rivet gun though) there is another thread some were with part #s.

The rivets hold some of the support pieces together.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
After reading similar stories, scraping my front without splinter twice already etc.. I'm just going to leave mine off except for track days. IMHO splitter is useless at speeds that won't get me locked up if caught.
Sponsored