OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
2009 997 S. Drop mike; walk off stage.

To steal one of the most used statements about Porsche: it is the manufacturer that defined "what drive it to the track and back" means. The Carrera/Cayman/Boxster models are extremely capable and durable. If you're willing to do some moderate wrenching yourself (brakes and oil) then a Carrera will be no more expensive than a GT350 to own and operate under occasional track conditions. And, the jury is still out on what the basic Ford warranty is going to be worth on the 350.

It's kind of impossible to call a Porsche "boring" under any conditions, but I understand why some people will say this with the more technically advanced and capable models. Regardless, it will not be boring on track.

Looks, feel, temperament, sound, presence . . . you have to make these choices for yourself. All I can say is that if/when I'm ready to jump back into Porsche, a 997 S is going to be at the top of an awesome list. For now, I'm still infatuated with that 5.2L atomic bomb. Fit, finish, material choice, assembly, etc? Not so much. But I knew that going into it.

Enjoy the search!
Thanks for your thoughts! I can definitely feel your passion regarding the Porsche.

I found with the Porsches I've driven that I can barely even hear the exhaust. When you talk about sound, is that stock sound or with some aftermarket exhaust parts? Or do you feel that after a while driving the car I will get used to the library and start to enjoy a quiet and peaceful environment?

I know a little off topic...but did you guys see how quick the 991.2S is? Amazing..0-60 in 3.2, 1/4 mile in 11.5@121mph. How are they getting these kind of times out of a 420hp car? I know its about the package and all, but man amazing.
Grip is a big part of it, but the Porsches I've driven deliver the power in a way that I have found unexciting. Maybe it's more something to get used to.

I know that a really great chassis can make acceleration seem less scary. My Fox Mustang was plenty slow, but seemed fast because the chassis and brakes were crappy. Maybe that's part of what I need to get around.
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Thanks for your thoughts! I can definitely feel your passion regarding the Porsche.

I found with the Porsches I've driven that I can barely even hear the exhaust. When you talk about sound, is that stock sound or with some aftermarket exhaust parts? Or do you feel that after a while driving the car I will get used to the library and start to enjoy a quiet and peaceful environment?

Grip is a big part of it, but the Porsches I've driven deliver the power in a way that I have found unexciting. Maybe it's more something to get used to.

I know that a really great chassis can make acceleration seem less scary. My Fox Mustang was plenty slow, but seemed fast because the chassis and brakes were crappy. Maybe that's part of what I need to get around.

As a former owner of a 997.1S, yes grip is a huge part of it. However, this thing is still hitting 121mph at the end of the quarter. 0-150mph in just 19.6 seconds...the thing is smoking. Even the non S hits the 1320 in under 12 sec @ 11.9 @118mph.

I will be looking for one of these in a few years. Find a garage queen with under 15k miles on her.

Dave

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350

I wasn't suggesting that a stock 997 has a great exhaust note--it doesn't--but that you need to decide whether having a great stock exhaust note is a key factor. I wouldn't buy a Porsche for its stock exhaust note, but I would plan on a swap at some point. There are other factors to the Porsche and exhaust is an easy mod down the road.

A factory Porsche sport exhaust is not bad. After that, there are lots of aftermarket cat back options that will provide a sweet sound. My favorite is a relatively unknown company called After Hours that makes a cat back setup that sounds like a Porsche Cup Car at full song. Almost too loud for the street but its a real treat on track.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
The GT350 TP is as fast as a 991 (NA) Carrera S on a racetrack. Now the new 991.2 Turbocharged Carrera S is a bit quicker, and not far off of a GT350R.
Sponsored