Sponsored

GT350 tech vs 2010 911 Carrera S

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So what do you think? On paper they are somewhat similar in stats. The Porsche has a lot less power, but weighs 500 lbs less. Rear engine = lots of traction on takeoff, too. How is a Carrera S on the track? Would you buy a 6 year old Porsche? Are they reliable?

I figure the GT350 sounds a lot better to me and I enjoy the new electronic features in my daily commute. I assume the 911 will be dated.
Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
So what do you think? On paper they are somewhat similar in stats. The Porsche has a lot less power, but weighs 500 lbs less. Rear engine = lots of traction on takeoff, too. How is a Carrera S on the track? Would you buy a 6 year old Porsche? Are they reliable?

I figure the GT350 sounds a lot better to me and I enjoy the new electronic features in my daily commute. I assume the 911 will be dated.
The does Porsche have the appropriate coolers?

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The does Porsche have the appropriate coolers?
I haven't found any information about them getting hot on the track, but I was hoping someone who has owned one and tracked it would post here.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
When I was looking for something to cruise in with the family and occasionally go to the track and autocross I considered a 997.2 (2009-2011); along with C7 vette, Cayman S, R Boxster S, Spyder and a few others. I evaluated based on track/acceleration times, interior space (4 seats vs. being selfish with 2 seats), replacement parts, warranty vs. no warranty.

I am a huge fan of Porsches but the GT350 won out over the 997.2. I just couldn't justify spending the same money for a used car with no warranty (I did consider CPO and that would put it on par), high cost of repair and it would be slower overall. The engine in the 350 was obviously the main motivator. I found the main reason I wanted the Porsche was because, well, its a Porsche and the looks and interior are quite nice. In the end I made the right choice as my car has done everything I need it too and I just love that wonderful power plant with its linear power and awesome sound.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
A 997.2 S w/ PDK is a very stout performer. I would choose one over a Tech pack car. If you are that concerned about warranty, just purchase an extended warranty.

Sponsored

bmailpb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I have both a GT350 and a 997 Carrera S (row your own). They are totally different cars. Not even close to each other.

If you want an awesome cruiser that will be a good track performer, the 997 is a FAR better choice. It is more refined than the GT350, the transmission is better, the ride is better, the stereo is better, everything is just better. But, it is still designed as a GT car, so it can't handle hardcore track duty. The repairs are actually quite reasonable and other than standard maintenance, they rarely break down. They're a "livable" super-sports car.

If you want the raw power, the noise, a car that can take everything you have at the track and not complain, then you want the GT350. Nobody gives you two looks when you accelerate down the street in a 911. When you are in a GT350, everyone hears you from 3 blocks away.

EDIT: I see you said Tech vs 997. In that case, there's no discussion. 997.

flatsix66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 C Package
I came from a 996, 997S and 981 Cayman S to the 17 GT350 I have now. I was going to get a GT4 but discovered the GT350. I never had any problems with mine, they were quality and precise machines. In fact they do things so well that they are almost boring. I found the problem with them is they were expensive to put miles on, the used market is full of low mileage cars so you get screwed trying to sell or trade a high mile car. Each newer model of the 911 get more refined and looses that direct-touch sportscar feel, which is a bummer. The GT350 reminds me of the raw, exciting feel that my 996 and 997 had..x10. The service of a new Porsche driven under 40k miles is not too expensive but the 40k service and brakes will be expensive ($3700) if done at the dealer.

As far as quality goes the Porsche is miles ahead of the GT350. Things you can't even see are high quality like suspension components and under body fasteners. The GT350 starts as a cheap economy car and it shows....I'm trying to get used to it.

As far as excitement of driving - The GT350 winds hands down against a 991.1. Almost all 991.1 cars were ordered with PDK, which is great...but boring. 991.2 might be allot better, haven't tried one yet. As bad as people say the 991 electric steering feel is it probably has better feel than the GT350....997 was awesome.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
SNIP In fact they do things so well that they are almost boring.

As far as quality goes the Porsche is miles ahead of the GT350. Things you can't even see are high quality like suspension components and under body fasteners. The GT350 starts as a cheap economy car and it shows....I'm trying to get used to it.

As far as excitement of driving - The GT350 winds hands down against a 991.1. Almost all 991.1 cars were ordered with PDK, which is great...but boring. 991.2 might be allot better, haven't tried one yet. As bad as people say the 991 electric steering feel is it probably has better feel than the GT350....997 was awesome.
After driving the Porsche I agree with the boring part. The 991.1 was too slow for me. The 991.2 is much better as far as acceleration - it also hooks much better than a GT350. However, the engine might as well be a sewing machine when compared to the sounds the GT350 makes.

I also drove an M4 - thinking about an M2 as a possibility.

I think I'm too immature for BMW or Porsche. Neither is exciting enough for me. I don't enjoy the noise that a 6 cylinder makes. The other thing that BMW and Porsche offer is status - and I actually see that as another negative. I'm not willing to pay more for a car to get status. Mustang still seems to me like a better performance bargain.

A 997.2 S w/ PDK is a very stout performer. I would choose one over a Tech pack car. If you are that concerned about warranty, just purchase an extended warranty.
Good point about the warranty. That is a nice feature of Porsches - being able to buy an extended warranty on an older vehicle.

I hate PDK transmissions and I really hope I never end up in a situation where my "fun" car has one.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you want an awesome cruiser that will be a good track performer, the 997 is a FAR better choice. It is more refined than the GT350, the transmission is better, the ride is better, the stereo is better, everything is just better. But, it is still designed as a GT car, so it can't handle hardcore track duty. The repairs are actually quite reasonable and other than standard maintenance, they rarely break down. They're a "livable" super-sports car.
Can you explain what you mean by "hard core track duty"? What can't the 997 handle in your experience?

I'm looking for a car to drive most days to work and then go to an HPDE 2-3 times a year. 6x 25 minute track sessions.

bmailpb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Can you explain what you mean by "hard core track duty"? What can't the 997 handle in your experience?

I'm looking for a car to drive most days to work and then go to an HPDE 2-3 times a year. 6x 25 minute track sessions.
Then you're fine. Hardcore track duty to me is 15+ events per year including some open track days where you lap it for an hour+ without stopping and time attack events where you are trying to wring everything out of it that you possibly can.

Sponsored

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
Do not buy used German or Italian without warranty.
I'd keep the GT350.

bmailpb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Do not buy used German or Italian without warranty.
Again, matter of opinion. I bought mine with a thorough PPI and a lot of maintenance records. The only issue that I have had was a crack in the coolant reservoir, which I was easily able to replace myself for less than $200 including Porsche branded fluid.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
2009 997 S. Drop mike; walk off stage.

To steal one of the most used statements about Porsche: it is the manufacturer that defined "what drive it to the track and back" means. The Carrera/Cayman/Boxster models are extremely capable and durable. If you're willing to do some moderate wrenching yourself (brakes and oil) then a Carrera will be no more expensive than a GT350 to own and operate under occasional track conditions. And, the jury is still out on what the basic Ford warranty is going to be worth on the 350.

It's kind of impossible to call a Porsche "boring" under any conditions, but I understand why some people will say this with the more technically advanced and capable models. Regardless, it will not be boring on track.

Looks, feel, temperament, sound, presence . . . you have to make these choices for yourself. All I can say is that if/when I'm ready to jump back into Porsche, a 997 S is going to be at the top of an awesome list. For now, I'm still infatuated with that 5.2L atomic bomb. Fit, finish, material choice, assembly, etc? Not so much. But I knew that going into it.

Enjoy the search!

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I know a little off topic...but did you guys see how quick the 991.2S is? Amazing..0-60 in 3.2, 1/4 mile in 11.5@121mph. How are they getting these kind of times out of a 420hp car? I know its about the package and all, but man amazing.

bmailpb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I know a little off topic...but did you guys see how quick the 991.2S is? Amazing..0-60 in 3.2, 1/4 mile in 11.5@121mph. How are they getting these kind of times out of a 420hp car? I know its about the package and all, but man amazing.
Lightweight (relatively speaking), TONS of rear wheel grip when squatting, launch control, gearbox specifically geared to hit 62mph at the top of a gear to reduce gear changes, TINY turbochargers that help to get max torque at 1500rpm.
Sponsored