Sponsored

Gt350 spoiler install

Jungles82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt base pp
So I have a friend give me the factory spoiler off of his 2017 gt350 for my 2017 gt pp. I didn't get the nuts for the back side so I'll have to go find those. But I really need an installation guide most of the spoilers I've seen people install have small bolts for the backside but mine has studs and I really don't wanna mess my trunk lid up either. There's also small clips that look like they snap into the body of the gt350 but im gonna cut those flush and just use the studs and 3m tape. I'm willing to pay a little $ for an installation template. Or if anyone has advice on how to do it that would be appreciated
Also do I need rubber washers for the bottom of the studs
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jungles82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt base pp
So this is what the mounts look like for it has anyone seen anything like it? Is this what the bottom of the spoilers look like on the non gt350 mustangs? I'm gonna cut the big locator things off and just have the studs. I really need an installation guide though. I've also considered selling this and just buying an aftermarket one since this is an oem gt350 one. Any thoughts anyone?
20180324_140304.jpg
20180324_142130.jpg
20180324_143146.jpg

Wolverine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Oxford White Premium GTPP
Your car doesn’t have a factory spoiler if it’s a 15-17 Performance Pack GT. They have a smooth clean trunk lid (spoiler delete). So you’ll be drilling holes to mount this even if you only want to use the threaded studs to put nuts on the inside of the trunk. You can drill extra holes for the locating dowels if you want or just cut them off and don’t worry about them.

Many guys are getting the track pack spoilers and mounting them with no drilling at all. Remove all dowels/studs/clips, clean trunk lid and spoiler with alcohol, apply adhesion promoter, cover most if not all of the flat surface on the bottom of the spoiler, line it up and stick it on the car. Set some bags of rice or sand on it for a few hours and you’re done. The spoiler ends up attached so securely it’s quite difficult to remove from the trunk later on if you try to (but it can still be done, and you won’t have holes in the trunk lid). This is the route I think I’ll end up going.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
^That's what I did but with the regular GT blade spoiler on my car. I didn't want to drill in anything and use a heat gun to be able to remove the studs.

OP
OP

Jungles82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt base pp
Yea my car has no holes that's my dilemma. Do they come off easy with glueing them on? I don't mind drilling I just wanna make sure I don't drill in the wrong spot. I also wouldn't be opposed to glueing will it pull the paint off when I try to remove it?
20180327_141825.jpg

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I used 3M VHB, not glue. It is fully along all edges that come in contact with the trunk and a few pieces down the middle for extra piece of mind.

If you want it extra secure you could put some silicone along the edges too but I didn't go that far.

OP
OP

Jungles82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt base pp
I've seen people use urethane for windshields to install them but that looked a little hardcore and might be a little hard to clean up

Wolverine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Oxford White Premium GTPP
You don't want any kind of glue, especially not windshield adhesive.

As said before, you want 3M VHB (very high bond) or UHB (ultra high bond) double sided adhesive foam tape. With as much surface area as the spoiler to trunk lid has, the static pull weight to remove it is much higher than the car will be subjected to during driving, even at relatively high speeds. If you want to go the extra mile, use an adhesion promoter from 3M beforehand. You will be able to remove the spoiler, tape, and any residue without damage to the paint, unlike glue adhesives which chemically bond to the paint and would have to be chiseled off.
Sponsored