GT350 Media Event at Laguna Seca

l8tebrker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT modded for track - Blue GT350 TP on order
Just from watching the video it looks like they ran a 1:39-1:40 lap time on their hot lap. That must have been in the base model and not the R. The R should be 1:35 or lower.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
"Should be"... you have no idea who was driving that or what their intent was. It was decent driving but the cones also lopped off some of the track, particularly at turn 9. Clearly, that wasn't meant to be a benchmark lap; it could've been either car.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Just from watching the video it looks like they ran a 1:39-1:40 lap time on their hot lap. That must have been in the base model and not the R. The R should be 1:35 or lower.
In the media's hands the GT350TP should be around 1:38, maybe faster once they get the cars unsupervised. I don't expect the 350TP to be much faster than 1:38 at most media outlets.

Car and Driver has admitted that even the Lightning Lap is limited to around 15 laps per vehicle. That is with 6-10 different editors too... I'd expect Randy to get the best time out of a TP and R. I can't be 100% sure he will get a TP to test...

I think 1:35-1:36 is where most of the media will be at with limited laps. If it's keeping up with the Porsche GT3 at that track, it's probably under 1:35.

Don't expect anyone to replicate the factory times Ford won't release. They said low 1:30's and an insider at the track had it at 1:32. Truly the elimination of shift points is leading the way at a tight track.

One of the editors made a comment about not needing to shift in the sweepers and in many areas unless you wanted to. I can't remember how much or to what extent I discussed this very topic here. I do remember I was the first person that brought it up altogether. I'm sooooo glad I did, it was expressed to me the importance of skipping shift points in exchange for speed.

The reduced shifts are a huge advantage. It's the powerband and gearing that's making this thing fast. The 430 is the only other car that has an advantage like this in a V8. The Boxster's benefit too but it's a different rush altogether.

Anyway, I am glad we touched on the reduction in shift points here first. Everyone is on the same page when a new angle like this is explored.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Excellent video! Really enjoyed it and thanks for posting!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
^^This. Very informative.
I gotta stop looking at the GT350R,........I'm going to end up trading my '13 Roush Stage 3 for one of those next year. :D :headbonk:

Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
I don't doubt that the GT350R will be faster then the Z28 as it should with a bit more hp and 200lbs lighter, but just can't see it beating it by 3 sec or more. That would be a ass kicking, and in super car territory. Just don't see that happening. I know some reporter said low 1:30's is possible, but that seems impossible IMHO.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I don't doubt that the GT350R will be faster then the Z28 as it should with a bit more hp and 200lbs lighter, but just can't see it beating it by 3 sec or more. That would be a ass kicking, and in super car territory. Just don't see that happening. I know some reporter said low 1:30's is possible, but that seems impossible IMHO.
Don't confuse Ford's factory time with media garbage. It's comparing 3 years of testing with an engineer/factory driver to a 2-3 lap journalists. No media went "low 1:30's" that day, that was the only lap time reference Ford used. It merely supplied the drivers and ride alongs with its potential. The time is around 1:32.5 and that will not likely be duplicated by a private owner.

Randy had a 1:37.8 in the z28, if he runs the 350TP, it will be in that neighborhood. I am betting he can match the GT3 at the same track with the R... In the 1:34-1:35 range.

Don't be fooled by media Supercar lap times. Most editors encounter a wall of fear, in each vehicle, of where they are confident to go. Most do not have Supercar talent...

Also, don't be so quick to write off great engineering. Things I discussed like the saved shifts and optimal WB:T ratio and footprint create a fantastic based to stack rotors, tire and output on. Like I said here and many giggled, the Mustang GT's footprint is getting good, C7 Corvette good... The GT350 is just so much more to build on...

...and the future of the Mustang in general...

OP
OP

TraKWeapon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack On Order
No private owner can run a solid fast lap?
You could have if nobody got in your way which was very unlikely. I got to pass two cars and was about to pass a third during my three lap session but I had to slow down and wait for approval to pass.

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
"Should be"... you have no idea who was driving that or what their intent was. It was decent driving but the cones also lopped off some of the track, particularly at turn 9. Clearly, that wasn't meant to be a benchmark lap; it could've been either car.
When I drove it the cones weren't really in the way of good lines, from what I remember. The cones on T9 were to keep people from starting into nine fully track-right. About 2 car widths from the outside of T9, the corner loses some of it's camber and becomes an easy place to get wrong on that track.

Sponsored

licktensteins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Four wheels and a stick
In the media's hands the GT350TP should be around 1:38, maybe faster once they get the cars unsupervised. I don't expect the 350TP to be much faster than 1:38 at most media outlets.

Car and Driver has admitted that even the Lightning Lap is limited to around 15 laps per vehicle. That is with 6-10 different editors too... I'd expect Randy to get the best time out of a TP and R. I can't be 100% sure he will get a TP to test...

I think 1:35-1:36 is where most of the media will be at with limited laps. If it's keeping up with the Porsche GT3 at that track, it's probably under 1:35.

Don't expect anyone to replicate the factory times Ford won't release. They said low 1:30's and an insider at the track had it at 1:32. Truly the elimination of shift points is leading the way at a tight track.

One of the editors made a comment about not needing to shift in the sweepers and in many areas unless you wanted to. I can't remember how much or to what extent I discussed this very topic here. I do remember I was the first person that brought it up altogether. I'm sooooo glad I did, it was expressed to me the importance of skipping shift points in exchange for speed.

The reduced shifts are a huge advantage. It's the powerband and gearing that's making this thing fast. The 430 is the only other car that has an advantage like this in a V8. The Boxster's benefit too but it's a different rush altogether.

Anyway, I am glad we touched on the reduction in shift points here first. Everyone is on the same page when a new angle like this is explored.
Don't confuse Ford's factory time with media garbage. It's comparing 3 years of testing with an engineer/factory driver to a 2-3 lap journalists. No media went "low 1:30's" that day, that was the only lap time reference Ford used. It merely supplied the drivers and ride alongs with its potential. The time is around 1:32.5 and that will not likely be duplicated by a private owner.

Randy had a 1:37.8 in the z28, if he runs the 350TP, it will be in that neighborhood. I am betting he can match the GT3 at the same track with the R... In the 1:34-1:35 range.

Don't be fooled by media Supercar lap times. Most editors encounter a wall of fear, in each vehicle, of where they are confident to go. Most do not have Supercar talent...

Also, don't be so quick to write off great engineering. Things I discussed like the saved shifts and optimal WB:T ratio and footprint create a fantastic based to stack rotors, tire and output on. Like I said here and many giggled, the Mustang GT's footprint is getting good, C7 Corvette good... The GT350 is just so much more to build on...

...and the future of the Mustang in general...
Adding some fuel to the fire, here's Randy's MT BDC '15 Hot Lap for the ATS-V 6MT, which should give us some insight for upcoming Camaro platform times.

[ame]

Spoiler: 1:40.18

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Adding some fuel to the fire, here's Randy's MT BDC '15 Hot Lap for the ATS-V 6MT, which should give us some insight for upcoming Camaro platform times.
[/url]

Spoiler: 1:40.18
1:39.65 for the Auto

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
1:39.65 for the Auto
Considering the z28 did it in 1:37.82 with Randy it's a great time. Less then 2 seconds from a track car in a Caddie shows real potential in the Camaro.
Sponsored