Sponsored

GT350 intake with GT500 airbox / cover?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wish I had seen this thread a couple years ago. I spent a bunch of time making a "rain tray" under my Race Louvers hood vent so that I can go through car washes without causing a problem with the open air filter element underneath. This would have been a much better solution.
Sponsored

bmiles25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt convertible, 2002 Explorer, 2016 Explorer
1000000885.jpg
1000000888.jpg
1000000887.jpg

i ended up making a cover out of ABS, still gotta trim it with something to beautify it. I tried to use the GT500 airbox cover, its the right shape but too small for the GT350 airbox.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I wish I had seen this thread a couple years ago. I spent a bunch of time making a "rain tray" under my Race Louvers hood vent so that I can go through car washes without causing a problem with the open air filter element underneath. This would have been a much better solution.
Is there a link for your rain tray?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Is there a link for your rain tray?
Believe me, it's nothing to brag about. I just cut out a piece of sheet steel large enough to prevent water from running down from the Race Louver cut out in my hood onto the open air filter element. It's riveted in place to the underside of the hood.

I ended up with an ugly, amorphous blob. It's sealed to the hood on the driver's side, but the ends and the other side have gaps. I've been through the car wash multiple times now, no problem. With the hood closed, it's not obvious that anything is there. There is still a lot of room for air flow past the "tray" through the Race Louvers.

T1.png

T2.png

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, Hack.

Sponsored

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
After driving the car more yesterday I can say this. With the open top GT350 setup I was ALWAYS 4 degrees over ambient on the IAT, and as soon as you stopped, you could almost watch the IAT go up. Yesterday while moving, the car maintained a 2 or occasionally 3 degree delta over ambient which I’ve never seen before. Also, once stopped in traffic, the IAT would eventually go up, but it took a while and then when it did it was very slow rate of increase.

So the system is doing what I wanted it to do, doing what we all expect it to do. My cornerstone reason for doing this is to keep the engine in a position to be as detonation resistant as possible. I also have a 170 thermostat. The car is tuned and only runs on premium fuel, and I want to make sure that it’s never in a condition where it has to pull timing.
@Paul McWhiskey Now that spring has sprung, I've gotten more miles on the car and more commutes to work etc. To my surprise, the 2-3 degree delta over ambient temp has stayed. I'd say it's an honest 50/50 split between 2 or 3 degrees over ambient, which it would NEVER achieve before ever.

Now thats not going to add 50hp, but as we talked above, thats not the point of doing this....

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
@Paul McWhiskey Now that spring has sprung, I've gotten more miles on the car and more commutes to work etc. To my surprise, the 2-3 degree delta over ambient temp has stayed. I'd say it's an honest 50/50 split between 2 or 3 degrees over ambient, which it would NEVER achieve before ever.

Now thats not going to add 50hp, but as we talked above, thats not the point of doing this....

That is good news. I have pretty much settled on the insulation of the air box as you have done. Your work is neat and clean and I think that the material that you have used might be the best and easy to work with. Well done and thank you for the update!
Sponsored