Sponsored

GT350 Insurance Payout Help Needed

JL947

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
So as some of you know my car was keyed a few weeks ago. Long story short for those who don't, I work at Chrysler's headquarter in Michigan where my Shelby got keyed on the passenger side from the hood, door, fender, and across the trunk. And later found a few more on the driver side A-pillar, fender, and hood.

Now that the insurance has come back with $2400 in repair, I feel this still does not justify the amount of damage it has done considering that some key marks are down to the primer. A local shop here quoted me at $3800, but my insurance refuses to pay that much without talking to the shop.

Here is where it gets tricky. I have uncertainties in regards to repainting since it may get keyed again at work, so for now I'd like to keep the money on hand in case I do decide to repaint in the near future. Therefore I am looking for suggestions on how to have them cut me a larger check, and direct it to me rather than a body shop.

Any tips and recommendations are greatly appreciated! PM if you feel the need to.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
My first suggestion is to have people PM you with the information and to be careful because some of the recommendations you get could probably be considered insurance fraud.

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
Unlikely they will cut the check directly to you. Especially if the insurance thinks you went for shopping for quotes. If anytbing they would have you go around to a couple shops and then average out the prices to what their historically familiar with.

Have the shop do it for the negotiated fee between them and the insurance.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
My insurance will pay me if ask. They request proof of repair though

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
My first suggestion is to have people PM you with the information and to be careful because some of the recommendations you get could probably be considered insurance fraud.
Not sure what would be fraud. Go get multiple quotes (3 shops), let the shops know up front it is for an insurance job, submit written quotes to the insurance company.

It can be your decision for the insurance company to directly pay the shop or to cut you a check, you just have to sign a waiver and document all the damage so you cant try to make the same claim twice. I had the same thing happen when I was just out of school, I was cut a check and I then traded in the car as is.

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
Get it fixed properly and if it hapens again, repaint it again.

Why drive your car defaced just because you fear it happening again.

If thats the case, get it fixed and buy a beater to drive to work.

Dont short change you life over some jealous a$$hole.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I know it's extra $ but get your car fully PPF covered after repainted. Then they can't key it ;)

Also get a dashcam so you can catch who is doing it and get them fired.

OP
OP
JL947

JL947

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what would be fraud. Go get multiple quotes (3 shops), let the shops know up front it is for an insurance job, submit written quotes to the insurance company.

It can be your decision for the insurance company to directly pay the shop or to cut you a check, you just have to sign a waiver and document all the damage so you cant try to make the same claim twice. I had the same thing happen when I was just out of school, I was cut a check and I then traded in the car as is.
Agree, and I did go to different shops for quotes, that is how I know my insurance is lowballing me. Now my concern is how to convince them to up their check.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Ask the insurance company who they recommend then call that shop and see what they charge.

Sponsored

Darth Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tri Yellow GT350
I don't get it either. Your insurance should have approved methods for preferred vendors and out of network vendors. They will file a supplemental claim if the repairs cost more. I don't understand why you don't want to fix it unless you are going to wrap the car.

You can keep the money and choose not to do the repair. If you do this, you cannot get a diminished value claim. Your DVC could be more $ than the repair.

And if you don't repair and say you get into an accident in the future. Without proof if repair, they will deduct the value from the original claim even if the damage was done to panels not damaged in the original claim...they will also view the new damage to the same panels as part of the original claim...either way you will be out of pocket the value of the original claim.

OP
OP
JL947

JL947

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't get it either. Your insurance should have approved methods for preferred vendors and out of network vendors. They will file a supplemental claim if the repairs cost more. I don't understand why you don't want to fix it unless you are going to wrap the car.

You can keep the money and choose not to do the repair. If you do this, you cannot get a diminished value claim. Your DVC could be more $ than the repair.

And if you don't repair and say you get into an accident in the future. Without proof if repair, they will deduct the value from the original claim even if the damage was done to panels not damaged in the original claim...they will also view the new damage to the same panels as part of the original claim...either way you will be out of pocket the value of the original claim.
You're right. One of my potential plans is to wrap the car. But regardless, they should still give me the proper amount for the damage as one of their vendors had estimated, which they refuse to and that's why they want to talk to the vendor. Which means if they do, I'll have no choice but to repaint since they'll cut the check directly to the shop.

Screamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2116 GT350
Buy a Chrysler K car, paint it day glow orange. Just to remind what great historic cars they have built. Calling it a beater would be an insult to Chevy vega's.

Reactions: TDC

thehygienist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
IRISH
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
Agree, and I did go to different shops for quotes, that is how I know my insurance is lowballing me. Now my concern is how to convince them to up their check.
They will go with the lowest quote that meets your coverage. The lowest quote is not necessarily the quote that provides the worst job for the repair. What you want is the most $$$ and you have therefore set the low quote standard. You will not convince them because the adjuster's job is to release the lowest amount possible to you. You have entered catch-22 territory.

JRoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, MKIV, RR
Sorry you have to deal with this. Too many a$$holes in this world.

Who is your insurance company? I think you would be doing everyone on this forum a great service by sharing and ultimately letting people know if they want to give them their business.

Best to you with your situation.
Sponsored