Sponsored

GT tick - dealer experience

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I think it would be useful that those who brought car to the dealer for BBQ tick issue share their dealer experience - please mention state and dealer name.

This should be huge help to those who plan on fixing bbq tick issue.

I can see three flavors of dealer response right now:

a) the sound is normal, get lost.

b) engine inspection, replacement of things that do not fix the tick in most of the situations - chain tensioners, etc.

c) engine inspection and short/long block replacement that fixes the tick in most of the cases.

If I had information, I'd go to the dealer that had done (c) before.
Sponsored

JGonvardi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP CO
I took my car to Visalia Ford (California) on 8/15/18 when it started making the bbq tick at over 45k miles. I didn’t have an appointment but the service advisor took a listen anyway and assigned it to one of the techs. He told me it would be a while and I was cool with waiting. I spoke to the tech and told him what to listen for as the sound was very noticeable from the driver’s side door area. The service advisor said that the sound was coming from the bottom end and it would require a tear down. They set me up with a rental and I checked in about once a week for status updates. Ford approved the short block replacement and I got the car back yesterday, no more bbq tick. This dealership’s service department has always been top notch and they’ve never given me the run around like many dealers tend to do. I’ll be going back to them for my next purchase.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Also, if anyone can get clearance measurements (ie, rod side clearance, crankshaft end play clearance, bearing clearances, etc) from the Tech and post them up it might help focus in on the cause of the ticking.

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I took my car to Visalia Ford (California) on 8/15/18 when it started making the bbq tick at over 45k miles. I didn’t have an appointment but the service advisor took a listen anyway and assigned it to one of the techs. He told me it would be a while and I was cool with waiting. I spoke to the tech and told him what to listen for as the sound was very noticeable from the driver’s side door area. The service advisor said that the sound was coming from the bottom end and it would require a tear down. They set me up with a rental and I checked in about once a week for status updates. Ford approved the short block replacement and I got the car back yesterday, no more bbq tick. This dealership’s service department has always been top notch and they’ve never given me the run around like many dealers tend to do. I’ll be going back to them for my next purchase.
Going to give Vreeland Ford in Buellton a shot when I get back, but if it turns out they can't fix it, I know where I'll be going next (even if it's a drive away)

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Just a copy paste from my experience (*cough*rant*cough*) with this whole issue that I posted on the last forum where we were discussing the "tick".

"So an update on my end:
Before anything, if you are near Santa Barbara County, DO NOT GO TO PERRY FORD!!!! Don't waste your time there, as they definitely aren't worth it. Been getting the constant run-around from the sales aspect while purchasing a car, as well as subsequent service/support received.

Here are the details. As previously stated, I've had the "tick" for quite a while. It seems like this tick is different for many owners. Some have an intermittent tick that isn't constant, that disappears after driving your car a few hundred miles, after it heats up, etc... This is not the case with my car. My car developed the tick at around 5K miles, and has just gotten worse since then. It is almost constant between 1,5-2K RPM, and I can EASILY hear it over my loud exhaust (Corsa extreme catback). I've brought it in several times to Perry in order to have them look at it. The only thing they ever did was choose to swap my intake manifold; which I was puzzled by, as I knew it was in no way shape or form an issue with that part. One of the service reps also told me that the issue sounds like its coming from a loose camshaft, and will most likely need to swap my engine. Obviously, this was unsettling, and not something you want to hear with a pretty new car Keep in mind that my car is only 2 years old, with less than 15K miles on it, and is still covered by my warranty.

Well, I made an appointment with them this past Monday, as the issue seemed to be getting worse. I also had a new issue appear too within the past month or so (a "clunk" sound while letting off the gas/reapplying gas, as well as releasing the clutch. And NO its not the DS, as I know what that sounds like, and it's not this). Rolled up to the service area, told them the continuing issues I was having, AGAIN. First of all, I told my service rep that you could hear the issue WHILE IN GEAR/DRIVING! I then told him that I would gladly take him for a ride around the block to show him what I'm talking about. I also showed him a video that I took with my phone in which the clunk sound as well as ticking are CLEARLY audible. What does he do? He tells me to start the car up and rev it. I told him that the issues I was having were while I'm driving. So of course, the tick is mild, and obviously you won't hear the clunk, as I couldn't really put the car in gear in this situation. Then he has the balls to say "well, seeing as you can't replicate the issue, I'm probably going to have to keep your car for 3 weeks to take a look at it". 3 weeks!!! Just to take a look! Not even including repairs! I told him that wouldn't work as I'm going out of the country next week for about 3 weeks. He then said: "Great, because I don't need you bugging me by calling all the time (in a non-joking manner)". The only times I call are when A) they tell me that my car will be ready by X time, and I haven't heard from them by X time, so I want an update before they close shop for the day. Or B) they say to leave the car for a few days, and I finally decide to call after not hearing a peep from them with some sort of update (even a "we're still looking" would be fine) for 3+ days. Needless to say, I didn't want to just leave my car sitting there for 3 weeks, ESPECIALLY when they won't be able to reach me via phone.

So, today I decided to drive to the next nearest Ford dealership, which is over an hour away (not the end of the world, but definitely not the 10 mins it takes me to get to Perry). The dealership is Vreeland Ford in Buellton, CA. Let me just preface by saying that my mind was blown by the contrast of the quality of service that I received/offered by this dealership over Perry Ford of Santa Barbara. First of all, I made an appointment online. They then called me (that same day) to tell me that they were actually booked on that day. I told them that I was just wondering if I could bring it in for a diagnosis, told her the issues I was having with my car, and I could always bring it back to service it if need be. The lady on the phone said that was fine. So I rolled up today at the specified time, and started speaking with the service rep. He told me that Mike would jump in the car with me so that he could see/hear the problem himself. I met Mike, and turned out that he wasn't a tech, he was the service manager! That alone amazed me. I never even met the service manager ONCE at Perry, despite having reoccurring issues with the car, and not being too pleased with the service I was having (also forgot to mention that they scratched my PP rims while changing my tires..... and never did ANYTHING to fix it). So, Mike told me that he had a 15GT that also had the ticking sound. He told me that the problem with his (after spending quite a bit of time looking for it) was actually the tubes connected to the oil pump that would rattle and hit something (sidewall? Block? pump itself? I don't remember), causing the "tick" sound. So, Mike and I drove off. Immediately after hearing the sound, he said that "tick" sound coming from my car was different than what he was expecting/familiar with, even said "well that's annoying" in regards to how annoying the sound really is. He then told me to pull off into a residential street where there were many hedges along the road, so that the sound could hopefully reverberate off of them. To my surprise, he actually GOT OUT OF THE CAR, and stood there in the middle of the road, as he instructed me to drive up and down the road, while having me try to replicate both sounds. I did this for about 5 mins. He immediately told me that yea, something was "definitely wrong", and he could hear the "Clunk" while I turned around a few hundred feet from where he was standing. So we get back to the dealership, and he then tells me that sometimes a "clunk" can happen because the wheels are loose. I told myself "I doubt they are", but he decided to try tightening them himself; which he then proceeded to do, and we both saw that none of the wheels were loose. He told me to leave the car with him for about an hour, as he was going to put it on the lift, check the drivetrain, and check Oasis (which I'm assuming is some sort of Ford/Dealershup software, but I don't know). Keep in mind, this isn't just a service tech, but the SERVICE MANAGER!

I came back a little over an hour later to pick up my car. Mike himself came to speak with me again. He told me that he couldn't find where the issues were originating from, but that there were definitely issues present, and that he wants to get my car in for repairs. He even said that he took out a GT350 they had in for service, as apparently (and this is news to me, and didn't get what exactly the issue was), there is a certain sound that the GT350s make that sounds similar to what I was experiencing, so he wanted to see if it sounded similar to that (which it did not according to him). He then asked me if I ever had a CEL turn on with this car, which I told him I never have (and this is the truth). He said that he looked at my car's service records, and that Perry had apparently swapped the intake manifold because they put into the system that there was a CEL, which wasn't the case. Apparently (again, new to me), they do so in order to make themselves more money.... I then asked him what the next step would be. He said to make an appointment when I get back and they'll take it from there. I asked about how much time would it take to figure out what was wrong, he said a few days to get into everything, and to see in which direction to proceed. I told him that Perry said they would need my car for 3 weeks. He then laughed and said that he doesn't want my car on his lot for three weeks, and I would assume it's probably due to liability.

So, basically, during the short time I was at Vreeland Ford (compared to the hours spent dealing with Perry Ford over the past two years), I: met the service manager, he actually listened to my concerns, took the time to experience those concerns first hand by driving with me (without me even having to ask him to do so), took a look at the car despite being booked with other appointments, acknowledged that there are clearly two separate and non-normal issues going on, told me an appropriate time frame for the work that would need to be done, and what the next step should be. I have NEVER received any of that kind of service or attention from Perry. I have been given the runaround countless times (both while purchasing and servicing my cars), disrespected, kept in the dark, and obviously ( and news to me) was lied to for their own monetary gains. The service rep from Vreeland Ford told me before leaving: "Make sure to keep us in mind for any future business, even though I know it's a drive for you to get here". I told them I will gladly use them; despite the drive; as I am much more willing to give my business to a company/dealership that actually deserves it. Granted, Vreeland didn't fix the issue yet (didn't expect them to do so today), but at least they are taking all of my concerns seriously, and giving me a plan of attack. I will provide an update once the I proceed with my bringing my car in.

So there you have it (minus a few things that were said that just support my displeasure with Perry, such as them actually not wanting to swap my engine out simply because they run the risk of eating the cost if Ford HQ finds out that there is nothing wrong with it). A little bit of a rant, but figured I should pass on the word of warning, especially for those located on the Central coast/Southern CA. I will definitely post an update once I get my car in for servicing at Vreeland Ford, but I am already impressed by their want/need to go above and beyond with their services. So, thanks again for taking the time today guys! Especially Mike!! I certainly appreciate it, and it feels nice to actually feel valued as a customer. :like:"

As I stated, I will post an update once I bring my car in for service, which should be in a few weeks.

Sponsored

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Was there any mention as to what specifically went wrong?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I swear Ford just tells the dealerships to just put in a short block and don't go looking for the cause of the problem. X-Files phenomenon.

JGonvardi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP CO
The tech isolated the ticking on cylinder 3 towards the bottom end. Suspected the rod bearing but I haven’t followed up.
Sponsored