GT/PP suspension upgrades?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just did a track day where I was the fastest PDX driver against a handful of Corvettes and a Z28. PP with the Ford Track suspension. No IRS stabilizing mods at all. No problems with wheel hop. I think they are overrated for non dragstrip use (plus I think they are illegal for FS, STP, and maybe even ESP).

Biggest issue was not enough camber, especially up front. So add some camber plates or bolts.
I found the car far more connected and confidence-inspiring to put power down when coming out of corners. You don't get cornering wheel hop outside of very slow (<10 mph) corners stock as it is, and I don't drag race at all. Going through the Solo rules again, this is legal for STP (really depends on interpretation), ESP, CAM-C. Definitely not for FS though.

Does it make the car objectively faster? Probably not much, if at all. Does it make the driver faster? I would argue yes, for most. Sounds like you are quite a good driver.
Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I went with Steeda front and rear sway bars, sway bar end links, G-trac K-brace, vertical links, irs bushings, sub frame alignment kit, and support braces. Lowered on an Eibach pro-kit. I have the Steeda pro action adjustable shocks and the differential bushings that I didn't install yet.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I found the car far more connected and confidence-inspiring to put power down when coming out of corners. You don't get cornering wheel hop outside of very slow (<10 mph) corners stock as it is, and I don't drag race at all. Going through the Solo rules again, this is legal for STP (really depends on interpretation), ESP, CAM-C. Definitely not for FS though.
BMR doesn't seem to understand SCCA rules.
In street touring (STP) you can add new, non metallic diff bushings. The amount of metal cannot change vs the stock bushing.

In street prepared (ESP), it used to be the same rule as ST, but it now says you can add new bushings (with no restriction on type or material).

Neither has any allowance for adding additional bracing or replacement links, which are a feature of most no hop kits and specifically BMR's cradle lockout kit. When I talked to BMR, they didn't have a ST legal bushing only solution that they recommended. A quick glance at Steeda's stuff suggests like they might have something that is ST legal, but even there, you have to be careful as a lot of it seems to add additional metal to the bushing or additional metal support. But if it doesn't make you faster on the road course, and may bump out out of the more cost effective classes, I definitely wouldn't call it a must have mod for a stock-ish car.

CAM-C is basically unlimited except for tire type and weight (kinda like OUSCC), so feel free to bring your high dollar twin turbo GT350R with every mod you can think of.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
BMR doesn't seem to understand SCCA rules.
In street touring (STP) you can add new, non metallic diff bushings. The amount of metal cannot change vs the stock bushing.

In street prepared (ESP), it used to be the same rule as ST, but it now says you can add new bushings (with no restriction on type or material).

Neither has any allowance for adding additional bracing or replacement links, which are a feature of most no hop kits and specifically BMR's cradle lockout kit. When I talked to BMR, they didn't have a ST legal bushing only solution that they recommended. A quick glance at Steeda's stuff suggests like they might have something that is ST legal, but even there, you have to be careful as a lot of it seems to add additional metal to the bushing or additional metal support. But if it doesn't make you faster on the road course, and may bump out out of the more cost effective classes, I definitely wouldn't call it a must have mod for a stock-ish car.

CAM-C is basically unlimited except for tire type and weight (kinda like OUSCC), so feel free to bring your high dollar twin turbo GT350R with every mod you can think of.
Like I said, depends on interpretation of some of the verbiage

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Modern SCCA rule number 1 - if it doesn't say you can, you can't.

It's not like the good old days in Can-Am and Trans-Am were creative rules interpretation was allowed.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

It's not like the good old days in Can-Am and Trans-Am were creative rules interpretation was allowed.
Fair enough :cheers:

BMR does have both Poly and Delrin cradle bushing kits. They are non-metallic so should be legal. The question mark on the Poly would be the metal sleeves for the bolts. The delrin ones do not change the amount of metal there, and actually reduce it.

As far as adding metal, I don't know how they're exactly defining that. I take it to mean the metal content of the bushing material. In that case, the BK053 would possibly apply:
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1560&superpro=0

It adds metal inserts in the bushing voids.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack

Lol. Reminds me of Junior Johnson scaling down cars in Nascar or Roush putting golf ball dimples on the roof ;) Creative engineering for speed. That right there is some innovation :D

So the moral of the comment is that if you mod the car with these items you are stuck with "non" competition events? Still fun and probably all I'm going to be doing.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Lol. Reminds me of Junior Johnson scaling down cars in Nascar or Roush putting golf ball dimples on the roof ;) Creative engineering for speed. That right there is some innovation :D

So the moral of the comment is that if you mod the car with these items you are stuck with "non" competition events? Still fun and probably all I'm going to be doing.
Or you run in CAM-C then you can pretty much run anything you like. Your index sucks but this is more about fun for me anyway.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Fair enough :cheers:

BMR does have both Poly and Delrin cradle bushing kits. They are non-metallic so should be legal. The question mark on the Poly would be the metal sleeves for the bolts. The delrin ones do not change the amount of metal there, and actually reduce it.

As far as adding metal, I don't know how they're exactly defining that. I take it to mean the metal content of the bushing material. In that case, the BK053 would possibly apply:
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1560&superpro=0

It adds metal inserts in the bushing voids.
Key word is "adds metal", and the rule is you can't have more metal than stock.

CAM-C is fine, unless you want to win, and you have a guy in your club with a remotely fully prepared car. Like the $200k Optima Street Car specials.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Key word is "adds metal", and the rule is you can't have more metal than stock.

CAM-C is fine, unless you want to win, and you have a guy in your club with a remotely fully prepared car. Like the $200k Optima Street Car specials.
Lol, no. No thank you.

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
get shocks first of all, PP shocks suck and are underdamped.

OP
OP
BeauxXL1200

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
get shocks first of all, PP shocks suck and are underdamped.
Just ordered Steeda's Pro Actions, non-adjustable, and their billet aluminum rear shock mounts.

Hoping this is better than the OEM setup. :cheers:

OP
OP
BeauxXL1200

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I fitted the Ford Racing stabilizer bars front and rear yesterday on my otherwise stock PP. Front on stiff and rear on soft (only because I was short on time and couldn't wiggle the bar to select the stuff setting). Ride noticeably fimer and a little more direct but still lots of nose lift and dive. The car still feels very disconnected front to rear (perhaps due to different settings in part). Looking forward to getting the shocks and Steeda Ultralites in.
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] what is the real purpose of the billet rear shock mounts? Is it more of a ride quality thing or is there a noticible performance difference? I have gone back and forth on them for a while.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I fitted the Ford Racing stabilizer bars front and rear yesterday on my otherwise stock PP. Front on stiff and rear on soft (only because I was short on time and couldn't wiggle the bar to select the stuff setting). Ride noticeably fimer and a little more direct but still lots of nose lift and dive. The car still feels very disconnected front to rear (perhaps due to different settings in part). Looking forward to getting the shocks and Steeda Ultralites in.
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] what is the real purpose of the billet rear shock mounts? Is it more of a ride quality thing or is there a noticible performance difference? I have gone back and forth on them for a while.
Ride quality. I noticed the car more eager to turn-in as well, but that was a much smaller effect. It's a pretty significant improvement in ride quality. The disconnected feeling will be mostly righted by stabilizing the IRS cradle. The bars don't do anything for pitch control.
Sponsored

Last edited: