Not open for further replies.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
^ that would be lolz if the c8 rear end wasn't a confused ugly mess...
Sponsored

Aegir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
The sad part is that we'll see that rear more than the front, and typically on the left...

Squrtcap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, GT350
Anyone who thinks there going to find a 60k c8 is delusional. GM is only going to roll out the highly optioned cars first. If you want a stripo c8 you'll have to order it and good luck finding a dealer willing to do it.
Why is it that people want to compare or put the Corvette into the same league as the Mustang?

The Corvette and Mustang are in 2 totally different arenas - and the Mustang was never meant to dethrone the Vette, not now and not when the Mustang was first conceived.

The Thunderbird was Ford’s answer to the Vette of the time.

The Mustang or Mustang Shelby vs Vette discussion is just silly - again you’re taking about 2 entirely different platforms - neither of which compare to each other and neither of which were ever “competitors” from a manufacturing perspective.
Ford remade the Thunderbird under Jay Mays and it was a disaster. Not a sporty car nor a luxury two seater. If Ford makes a mid-engine Thunder Bird it will be mind boggling!

Squrtcap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, GT350
The C8 Vette is a fantastic departure from the Vette platforms of the past. Ford needs to make a mid-engine Thunderbird to compete head-to-head with Chevy. If the engineers at GM can do it,Ford can do it.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
The sad part is that we'll see that rear more than the front, and typically on the left...
I've flown past many but the next time I see a Corvette race past me will be the first. Those folks don't make sudden movements

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The C8 Vette is a fantastic departure from the Vette platforms of the past. Ford needs to make a mid-engine Thunderbird to compete head-to-head with Chevy. If the engineers at GM can do it,Ford can do it.
Major road block for Ford: Jim Hackett.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Seems 25% of the mustang owners here need to sell the stangs, first born, and mother to buy a C8 with the Z51 package. Then go get gapped by a Mustang GT. Then sell your C8 cause you got gapped then come back to this thread bragging about the C8 again.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I do believe the age demographic will change but it'll be a small notch down. The median Corvette buyer is still in the 60's. Note, median. The average is coming down but not very quickly at all. The C8 might make it the biggest change but then again it's a matter of perspective too.
I also think that's what GM's aiming for here with a radical change with the C8. I'm a numbers guy and the math favors the C8 for performance per dollar even with the GT350 having a slightly higher HP. I never owned a Corvette before but I'd seriously consider one by end of the next year if they offer a good end-of-the-year discount, good aftermarket support pops up, its performance is as good as they say, and the stock market doesn't crash.

Except resale value, sound, fun on the street (manual trans), horsepower, rev limit, burnouts.
I don't think many dealers charged ADMs (if any) for verious gen Corvettes. If anything, they were well discounted for previous Corvettes so factoring those in, I don't think they have worse resale value over GT350s. As for the sound, I'd pick the Voodoo vs. LT2, but a small amount of HP advantage shouldn't be able to overcome the weight, powerband, and traction advantage of the C8. I'm thinking it'll also be easier to do a burnout with the torquier engine.

They're putting All season radials on the 60K base C8. All Seasons. Come on now. Only Grand Pa will be buying that 60K base with All Season Radials. My guess is that to see performance you'll have to spend another $10K
yeah I already did. Not going to come close to getting to 3 sec 0-60 nor competing with a GT350 let alone a GT500 on those. 1G? lol... come on. You have to be trolling to think that's actually going to be better than a GT350 or GT500.
To be fair, they quoted under 3 seconds for ZL1s, not the base, although I think those tires will be much better than the crappy OEM Pirelli Zeros that used to come with PP Mustangs. I don't foresee the ZL1 package costing $10K since they kept the likely MSRP price fairly close to the C7. So maybe a little higher than $5K but definitely not around $10K.

The back seats for the Mustang are surprisingly pretty good compared to some 2 door sports cars. My kid is 6 foot and he can fit pretty well back there compared to my Audi A5. In the camaro the driver seat was touching the back seat when I test drove it and I'm 5' 10". I'd say you get 3 extra inches in the Mustang compared to my Audi and the Camaro.
I'm on the short end (5'6") and my head touches the back glass if I try to sit up straight. I had similar experience in the previous-gen Mustangs as well as my taller friends. I think the cost is the main deterrence for the younger buyers, at least until they start discounting and used ones pop up (I see many non-boomers picking up used Vettes around here), but I don't think the lack of the rear seat's going to be the main reason. If you think about it, auto-enthusiasts make up a very small portion of the population and most of them are males. And numbers are going down since the car ownership's going down with the younger generation. My wife's not a car person so to her, cars are something you use to go from point a to point b. She likes crossovers and when she was shopping for a CRV, I told her that the Acura version comes with a V6 but she didn't care. A Mustang may be more practical than a Corvette, but crossovers are far more practical than both. We used the CRV whenever we drove somewhere as a family, especially since we can also put the dog in the trunk area.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
C8 fans rejoice! According to Motor Authority.. your $200K supercharged C8.R race car should debut this fall! I still take a GT350R dump $20K into it and gap that bitches ass.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I also think that's what GM's aiming for here with a radical change with the C8. I'm a numbers guy and the math favors the C8 for performance per dollar
And what everyone one said about the camaro by this logic the camaro out sold the Mustang. But the reality is that Mustang kick camaros ass in sales and that has to have you wondering just who was the c8 intended for. The c8 may not have that big of a following and could very well be the last gen for Corvette.

Sponsored

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
And what everyone one said about the camaro by this logic the camaro out sold the Mustang. But the reality is that Mustang kick camaros ass in sales and that has to have you wondering just who was the c8 intended for. The c8 may not have that big of a following and could very well be the last gen for Corvette.
I should've structured my statement better, the first part was in response to the age segment comment by nastang87xx and the second part was about what stroked my interest. As for the Camaro, I think that its biggest downfall was the visibility issues since even Camaro vs. Mustang articles that favored Camaro for performance bashed it for the design.

It is a big gamble for the GM since it may indeed be an end of the Vette if going mid-engine and getting rid of the manual alienates enough of the traditional audience without noticeable gain from the younger crowd. But I also think that this is the gamble that they needed to take since the current audience isn't getting younger, not to mention the growing popularity of crossovers and SUVs.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
next stop for the Corvette, the C8.5 SUV, 490hp and DCT that can double as a luxury Uber
Capture corvette suv.JPG

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
A Corvette version on the Blazer
Uu4egFxSSbG9LKNh-VW4Cw?w=500&h=281&fm=pjpg&auto=compress&fit=crop&crop=faces.jpg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt pp1 ,10spd, carbon fiber package, active valve,magneride,2018 mkx
So can Ford? That's not unique to Chevy, but it is less likely since the Corvette is a model of its own. Trying to order a ZR1 will be difficult. Ordering anything less, like a standard C8 or an option like a Z51 won't be.

https://www.fordpartner.com/partnerweb/jsp/howitworks/fordpartner_rules.htm#pricing

Scroll to ineligible products. The GT500 will not qualify for any AXZ plan. Find an invoice that shows the pricing and a dealer's signature on it if you still don't believe it.
Cant get it on the D plain either!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.