Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase

Pretty good vid I saw on FB on this from Ken at PBD. Basically he says it will be Easy to increase power on GT500 but DCT is a worry so there’s a potential limit unlike, for instance, a the known base mustang. C8 will need a turbo to compete with and who knows how long or how much that will take. Of course non of that matters to avg. demographic buying these cars.
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
And what everyone one said about the camaro by this logic the camaro out sold the Mustang. But the reality is that Mustang kick camaros ass in sales and that has to have you wondering just who was the c8 intended for. The c8 may not have that big of a following and could very well be the last gen for Corvette.
I'm sorry in advance but that is just plain ignorant. The c8 is not the last gen Corvette.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I love the arguments of the high school ricers...I can buy X and put Y amount of money into it and be faster...lol
That's American muscle\pony mentality, son. Men have been buying low and building high since the first mustang came out. That's what makes muscle and pony cars so popular and fun.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Cant get it on the D plain either!
Does that really matter? I've bought several current-year cars at 85% of MSRP out the door, or if you prefer ~78% of MSRP for the car, add back freight, taxes, paperwork and registration. Employee discounts etc. barely amount to 8% maybe 10 off.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The c8 is not the last gen Corvette.
unless GM files for bankruptcy yet again. And this time doesn't get a sweet-heart deal from the American tax payer. Agreed, even then I doubt the model will be retired for long.

I don't have industry data first hand, but heard from a source that apparently the reason for all this DCT/auto stuff of late is because manual transmission take-up is less than 10% for the Corvette, under 12% for the Dodge duo, and something like 15% for the Mustang. At some point even Ford will throw in the towel (I guess they already have vis a vis GT500) on manuals.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I love the arguments of the high school ricers...I can buy X and put Y amount of money into it and be faster...lol
Cause you can. With a base GT + 20K in mods will turn the C8 into a personal hand puppet.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Cause you can. With a base GT + 20K in mods will turn the C8 into a personal hand puppet.
You will definitely be able to get sub 3.0's to match the vette in a 0-60 drag race.

However, there is currently no aftermarket suspension and/or tire setup that will turn a sub 3.0 second 4,000lbs car into a something that will handle nearly as well as a Vette. Any situation other than a straight line, there is no amount of goodies you can buy to match the basic physics of a well tuned mid-engine track car with 500HP. Sorry, it's just not going to happen. This is where Physics take over.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Instead of Ford trying to turn a heavy GT into a sports car, they really should DUMP the entire GT350 and GT500 line up. Leave the GT to people who want a "somewhat sporty" highway cruiser, and stop trying to turn it into a something it isn't meant to be. All it does is create a big heavy dinosaur that sells very few. My local dealer still has the same 2018 GT350 sitting on his lot for over a year now.

IMHO, Ford should cap all future Mustang production to options with Coyotes peaking at $55,000. Including a possible 4-door version to compete with Audi A7 and Panamera.

Then, develop a mid-engined sports car like a GTA (Grand Touring America) starting at $60,000 to compete with Corvette, and give the 5.2L VooDoo engine a worthy home. Save the high end GT for LeMans and wealthy collectors only.

One area Ford could possibly then take some business, is developing that mid-engine VooDoo sports car WITH a manual transmission.

Last edited:

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
You will definitely be able to get sub 3.0's to match the vette in a 0-60 drag race.

However, there is currently no aftermarket suspension and/or tire setup that will turn a sub 3.0 second 4,000lbs car into a something that will handle nearly as well as a Vette. Any situation other than a straight line, there is no amount of goodies you can buy to match the basic physics of a well tuned mid-engine track car with 500HP. Sorry, it's just not going to happen. This is where Physics take over.
I think the gt500 will outpreform the c8 on any track where power is useful. Ill like to see nurburgring times . The gt500 has a lot more downforce than the c8 and well, nearly 40% better power to weight ratio

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
4,000lbs car
base GT's are not 4000lbs. Mine weighed 3670 with 1/2 tank on a certified scale. And aftermarket parts are almost always lighter/stronger.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
the comment was made WRT the GT500.
Gotcha. However there are cars in that 4000lb range that handle like slot cars. I think the GT500 is way more than a match for the C8. JMO.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.