PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I have been thinking about installing a GPS tracker to my car when it arrives. I am primarily after a unit that I can geofence the car and to immobilise the car further than OEM measures if it has been stolen. I am trying to avoid the bigger sellers software subscriptions and other ongoing costs apart from a basic pay as you go phone plan. I have looked at the Jimi brand, Gator and Jaycar.
Has anyone had experience with these. Does the regular re-setting of a geofence get a bit tedious.
So far the Gator appeals the most with a $30 pay as you go plan. I assume that without constant tracking enabled the sim costs won't add too quickly.
Thanks if you can add any insights.
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I have a Trackmate GPS in my car, check them out as well. Pricing is very reasonable. I know they have some immobilization options but I'm not sure on details.

Reactions: PKs

Frostee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
I have the Gator GTRACK and am very happy with it.

I paid about $140. It's well featured and has a great phone app interface and also browser based option.

I purchased an Optus $60 pre-paid sim which is valid for 365 days. That credit is more than enough and is convenient only having to renew anually.

OP
OP
PKs

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I have the Gator GTRACK and am very happy with it.

I paid about $140. It's well featured and has a great phone app interface and also browser based option.

I purchased an Optus $60 pre-paid sim which is valid for 365 days. That credit is more than enough and is convenient only having to renew anually.
That's great information Frostee. Thankyou. Autobarn have them reduced at the moment for $159 and they will fit it for $80, bargain.

Did you have to trim your sim card for mini sim required by the tracker.

Frostee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
That’s a great deal!

No issues with the SIM card. They are perforated in a few sizes and you just pop it out for the size you need. It then just pop straight into the tracker.

OP
OP
PKs

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Can anyone comment on my thought of changing the remote immobilisation function of the GPS tracker to cutting fuel rather than ignition. I figure that the inbuilt OEM immobiliser does the ignition already and the fuel cutoff might be a better route.
This is a function that can be triggered via your mobile phone if your car has notified you that it has been taken from where you parked it.
I used to have a fuel cut off switch under the driver's seat of my 1965 Mustang which I would flick on once parked. Never had a situation where it was needed but it gave me peace of mind.
Sponsored