Sponsored

Got locked in my car with the keys inside.

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
So I was bragging to my wife how the new "keyless" system is so advanced you don't need to take the fob out of your pocket ever. I was wearing tight jeans that day and asked her to put the keys in her purse. Went to Home Depot to buy some flowers and plants for the yard.

While I was loading the trunk, she put her purse (with the keys inside) in the front passenger footwell and closed the door. Somehow either myself or her accidently touched the "lock" button on the handle.

The trunk was open but the doors would not open. I tried opening it the normal way by pulling on the door handles but they were locked. For some reason the car would not open.

I had to call Ford Roadside service and a tow truck came and stuck some inflatable plastic bag against the window, and stuck a long metal rod with a hook, and opened the door from inside (by opening the door handle inside). As soon as he stuck the rod inside the car alarm went off. (I have the security package). He was able to open the door in 30 seconds.

I thought that this car would be "smart" enough to know if the keys/fob are inside the car it should not lock. Anyone had this problem? :shrug:
Sponsored

kkakonn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like something I would've done just to see what would happen. I'm so used to my other cars not even allowing me to lock the car while the keys are inside, just beeps.

OP
OP

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like something I would've done just to see what would happen.
I would try it, and keep the spare key close by in case it does lock.

dabsevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Black
I also wondered bout this. I never locked the car with the key inside but shouldn't it open? but then again, if you're driving and you see someone who wants to rob you and you lock your doors, then shouldn't the doors stay locked with the key inside? Kind of confusing.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I've repeatedly tried leaving the key in the car and trying to lock the car from the outside. The car absolutely would not lock.

All I can think is that something in your wife's purse was blocking the fob.

Sponsored

OP
OP

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I've repeatedly tried leaving the key in the car and trying to lock the car from the outside. The car absolutely would not lock.

All I can think is that something in your wife's purse was blocking the fob.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. It was just a regular MK purse, no metal lining or anything. Car was able to lock and unlock with the keys in the same purse previously so it has me wondering..:confused:

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
My other car 2007 maxima will re-open the trunk automatically if you leave your keys inside of it. Happened to me one time coming from the airport, left the keys in my backpack. Opened the truck closed it and it opened it right back up automatically. I'd imagine this car being 8 years newer should have similar technology

Gdyup50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Exactly, when you lock your doors while inside driving, someone shouldn't be able to just walk up and open the door....nothing strange about this....

I also wondered bout this. I never locked the car with the key inside but shouldn't it open? but then again, if you're driving and you see someone who wants to rob you and you lock your doors, then shouldn't the doors stay locked with the key inside? Kind of confusing.

OP
OP

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Exactly, when you lock your doors while inside driving, someone shouldn't be able to just walk up and open the door....nothing strange about this....

While driving yes. But not while car is off and in park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3AlarmStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford White EcoBoost Auto
Had a customer as me to leave his keys in their 15' Charger and the only way the door wouldn't unlock when I closed it was to put it in the gave box and hit the lock button on the door.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The owner's manual tells how you can lock the car with the FOB still in the car. Sounds like you would need the 2nd FOB for the car in order to lock the car while the 1st FOB was still inside.

Smart Unlocks
This feature helps to prevent you from
unintentionally locking your intelligent
access key inside your vehicle’s passenger
compartment or luggage compartment.
When you electronically lock your vehicle
(with any door open, vehicle in park and
ignition off), your vehicle searches for an
intelligent access key in the passenger
compartment after you close the last door.
If your vehicle finds a key, all of the doors
immediately unlock and the horn sounds
twice, indicating that a key is inside.

You can override the smart unlock feature
and intentionally lock the intelligent access
key inside your vehicle. To do this, lock your
vehicle after you have closed all the doors
by:
• Pressing the lock button on another
intelligent access key.
• Touching the locking area on the
handle with another intelligent access
key in your hand.

When you open one of the front doors and
lock your vehicle using the power door lock
control, all doors lock then unlock if:
• The ignition is on.
• The ignition is off and your vehicle is
not in P

The part in red might be what happened. Sounds like you can just lock the FOB in the car by hitting the door locks manually. Doesn't seem right, but that's how I read it.

One way to find out - test it in the garage with the 2nd FOB handy. Try to lock the doors manually using the lock button on the side of the door with the 1st FOB left in the car.

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I wonder if this had something to do with the trunk open. That will be the subject of a test me thinks.

Anyway, you walked up and opened the trunk I assume by pushing the switch in the back above the plate without unlocking the car. Pushing that switch will not unlock the main part of the car just the trunk.

Your wife, while doing this, opened the car door by using the handle. This should have unlocked the car. When she put her purse inside the car it should not have locked unless it did so once you closed the trunk but that is not part of the logic.

If you open you car and put the key inside, lock the door using the switch on the door and close it the door will reopen and the horn will beep twice. If you put the key in the car and close the door and touch the handle the door will lock and then unlock and beep the horn twice.

The only way I can see the key getting locked in the car is if the doors locked when you closed the trunk somehow. Either that or for some reason the keyfob was shielded from being detected inside the car and the doors relocked. Did your wife push the lock button on the door and close the door after putting her purse in?

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
I really wish that the car makers would just stick with a simple key.

mjhousto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB, 50 Years AP
It could also have something to do with the key being located in the passenger foot well.

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
is there not a way to get into the passenger compartment from the trunk, or is the seat release only on the passenger compartment side? most cars I've had I've been able to do this, not because I locked my keys in the car, but because I wanted to put the seats down without having to run around the car.

that said, I've accidentally tried to lock my keys in the car after parking, and it wouldn't lock with the keys inside.
Sponsored