Sponsored

Got a stupid question about mystery lights.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I've looked at the owners manual, and the quick guide. I may be overlooking the answer, or just don't know what category they fall into. But, what are those mystery lights that are reflected onto the windshield about above the dash. Sometimes they are red, sometimes they are blue, and are only on for a few seconds right after I start the engine. I wish there was an HUD there, but nooooooo just those Area 51 lights. :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
wanted33

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Shift lights.
Not sure Austin, but thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned they are only on for a few secinds right after I start the car.

I'm gonna edit the post.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Do you have safe and sound? I don't have a 2018, but in my '17 that's where the Collision Warning lights display if the car thinks I'm gonna rear-end someone, but mine are only red. I'd assume it's something similar in the '18 since you all have an upgraded safety warning system so the blue likely is used to show something else.

OP
OP
wanted33

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Do you have safe and sound? I don't have a 2018, but in my '17 that's where the Collision Warning lights display if the car thinks I'm gonna rear-end someone, but mine are only red. I'd assume it's something similar in the '18 since you all have an upgraded safety warning system so the blue likely is used to show something else.

Bingo Jeffery, it does has the safe and sound package. Thanks a bunch, they are a mystery no more.

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I’m unsure what the blue means, the 2018 that I test drove with Safe & Smart only flashed with red. :confused:
As someone already stated, it’s the collision alert. If you had a GT350 it would work as a shift indicator with red yellow and green LEDs that scroll across the windshield. I wish Ford gave that option to us commoners with regular ol’GTs. :p

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I scanned the 2018 Manual and saw only a reference to the "Red" flashing as we've discussed, and saw no mention of "Blue" flashing. So, now my interest is piqued on what that is. :lol:

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I got to use mine the other day when I was abruptly cutoff while using adaptive cruise control.

I'd never rely on it but the system worked great. I was more worried about someone rear-ending me.

OP
OP
wanted33

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I scanned the 2018 Manual and saw only a reference to the "Red" flashing as we've discussed, and saw no mention of "Blue" flashing. So, now my interest is piqued on what that is. :lol:
Mine too. I know I wasn't seeing things, and it was blue that one time. I'm haven't the foggiest, but I was playing around with the DIC and the "accessories" were on. I then just hit the start button to bring her to life. It may have been the accessories had the S & S system on, and the start of the engine made the lights blue to show it was already doing its thing. Now mind you that's just a whoppin' speculation as I ain't even sure that's was when the blue showed up. I'll try to pay more attention next time.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I got to use mine the other day when I was abruptly cutoff while using adaptive cruise control.

I'd never rely on it but the system worked great. I was more worried about someone rear-ending me.
Yes, that's absolutely the point of these systems; for emergency use. I'm very glad you're one the few who seem to understand that! There are far too many people that think they can drive with less care because they have lane keep assist or emergency auto-braking in their car. When I went to test drive an Infiniti Q60 Red Sport a few months back, during the test drive the sales guy said: "see that car in front you?" I replied, "...yes?" he then said "punch the gas and try to ram into it", I glanced at him with my peripheral vision and said "uhh... no thanks, I'm good". He wanted me to see Infiniti's highway speed auto-braking with automatic distance keeping, but like... I'm glad it's there in case of an emergency, but I'm not going to "test it out" and risk killing myself if it fails for whatever reason. :crazy: :frusty:

Sponsored

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Exactly. In 2017 Mustangs it's only braking pre-assist and the warning and I like having it, as well as BSM. I wish mine had lane keep and auto-braking as well. But, as mentioned it's a supplement, not a replacement, for good judgment.

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
It works pretty good. I was thinking that it could over react for nothing. But no, when the red light come on and the car begin to brake by itself it means that there is a serious braking in front if you. That 0.5 sec can save you from an accident

OP
OP
wanted33

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
It works pretty good. I was thinking that it could over react for nothing. But no, when the red light come on and the car begin to brake by itself it means that there is a serious braking in front if you. That 0.5 sec can save you from an accident
Thankfully I haven't needed the braking system yet, but I have (on a empty two lane) tried the lane keeping. And, the other systems have been seen working, i.e. Blind spot, cross traffic on other occasions. I am quite impressed as they are not intrusive, but just there to assist. I've been in other cars that beep, ring, and ding every time they are triggered. That is quite annoying.

Last edited:

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
In my case a car was merging onto the highway and crossed over the white line too early while only going about 20 MPH. The system reacted about as quickly as I did, perhaps even faster. Very impressed!

Although, how does the trim around your HUD LEDs look? Mine seems to be popping off in one corner.

OP
OP
wanted33

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
In my case a car was merging onto the highway and crossed over the white line too early while only going about 20 MPH. The system reacted about as quickly as I did, perhaps even faster. Very impressed!

Although, how does the trim around your HUD LEDs look? Mine seems to be popping off in one corner.
Mine looks fine michail. I haven't looked close enough to see how they are secured to the dash panel.
Sponsored