Sponsored

Going to lighter wheels really make a huge difference?

NorthernMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Have the 2015 GTPP wheels/Pirelli's, and planning to swap for something like 19"/20" Forgestars with SuperSport Tires. I have a good deal of experience with traction improvements experienced from better rubber, but have never dropped 15-20% of weight on all for corners before.

The new tires are a must... but wanted to ask those who've had a true A/B comparison - is it a REALLY noticeable difference going to notably lighter wheels on this car in terms of handling and acceleration?

Thanks! Any input is much appreciated :)
Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
You will definitely feel the difference with the lighter wheels especially if you are getting a wider setup.
Most common and recommended setups are Fronts 10" 285 / Rears 11" 305 (325 19")
:)

Have the 2015 GTPP wheels/Pirelli's, and planning to swap for something like 19"/20" Forgestars with SuperSport Tires. I have a good deal of experience with traction improvements experienced from better rubber, but have never dropped 15-20% of weight on all for corners before.

The new tires are a must... but wanted to ask those who've had a true A/B comparison - is it a REALLY noticeable difference going to notably lighter wheels on this car in terms of handling and acceleration?

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey

Brotha there is a massive amount of difference by reducing a setup say 4-5 lbs of unsprung weight and x4 thats about 16-20 lbs off.

truly changes the handle, braking and acceleration of the vehicle.

Huge plus in my books.

OP
OP
NorthernMuscle

NorthernMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Thanks guys, and just to clarify the setup I'm looking to shell out for would be about 10lbs less per rear corner, and -9lbs per front corner... so 38ish lbs less in total.

I understand the physics of unsprung mass, and rotational mass, but have never experienced that drastic of an "A/B" change comparison on a car.

I'm on stock power (plus a few hp for cold air/exhaust/mapping) and am prioritizing handling... so I'm not looking for 285's up front and really don't need 305 in the rear (I've had cars that actually needed that..) It is lowered on BMR springs, and new shocks/struts, and the offset of F14's would be enough IMO to look good without taking away from handling.

I'm probably going to stick with more stock tire sizes of 255/275 x19" or 20" rims, on high quality rubber. I've modded the suspension a decent amount so far, and am shooting for an awesome handling mustang this time around (still not fully convinced that's obtainable..) It already looks and sounds good... not looking for more power or off the line grip at the moment.

Thanks!

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It makes a huge difference.

I put the stock PP rubber on my M350s when I got them to use them up, and the difference was very noticeable. At that point, the car was otherwise completely stock.

Lowering it and installing the cradle lockout took it up another notch. ;)

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'll go ahead and disagree.

On flat ground its not noticeable. Over bumps the lighter wheels should upset the car a bit less, but in my experience its not a huge difference.

The acceleration / deceleration differences are marginal outside of 1st gear, where we have too much power to put down reliably anyway.

Just don't go any heavier :)
Sponsored