Gloss Meter?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
For my undestanding, high gloss numbers are a consequence of good preparation and products.
You are correct, preparation is the key. Sealants and coatings enhance what’s underneath them, a well polished surface along with a top shelf sealant or coating will give really high gloss readings as evidenced by Les’s cars above. Gloss readings over 100 are phenomenal
Sponsored

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350-Ruby Red, 12 Roush RS3 Kona Blue, 33 Ford
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct, preparation is the key. Sealants and coatings enhance what’s underneath them, a well polished surface along with a top shelf sealant or coating will give really high gloss readings as evidenced by Les’s cars above. Gloss readings over 100 are phenomenal
One more thing the Gloss Meter shows is that layering multiple products on top of each other does not make it glossier! Consistently the best gloss numbers are from stripping the finish of all waxes/sealants and applying a new product. Any given product is shinier on a freshly cleaned surface. My friends son works at a auto body shop and he got me a black damaged Jeep hood. Out of pure boredom during the winter I tried every combination of products on this hood. Layering products over and over doesn’t increase gloss. The gloss numbers actually go down. Two coats of a product increase gloss SOMETIMES (depending on product), three coats doesn’t help at all from my testing. Just my opinion or my $0.02 worth!

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
More excellent info, Les...many thanks and two questions:

1) If you had to buy a meter today, what would you get, the same one you have or something different/newer, if I may ask, of course?

2) If you mentioned a favorite stripping product, I missed it. I currently use CarPro Eraser (thanks to @DFB5.0,) and which seems to do the job quite well ;-)

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
1) If you had to buy a meter today, what would you get, the same one you have or something different/newer, if I may ask, of course?

Yes, I would buy the same meter. For the price it works well enough for me. I don’t measure every car I detail. I used it when I comparing new products against old products for a comparison. The Rhopoint is far superior, measures much more the gloss but is waaay out of price range.

2) If you mentioned a favorite stripping product
I’m using Gyeon paint prep and I think it works great.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Layering products over and over doesn’t increase gloss. The gloss numbers actually go down.
That makes sense. I suspect surface of good products will be smoother than the bare paint. Adding more products won't make the outer surface smoother than whichever single product does the best job. But it will increase the thickness of products the light that reaches the paint has to go thru on the way in and back out. There has to be some minimal absorption/refraction from that extra thickness.

OP
OP
20ducks

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
If one adds a layer or two, what would the thickness of those layers be? Would adding them reduce shine? By how much and would they add any amount of protection to the clear coat?

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If one adds a layer or two, what would the thickness of those layers be? Would adding them reduce shine? By how much and would they add any amount of protection to the clear coat?
Long story short! My goal when detailing my cars is maximum shine, minimum effort. Don’t care how thick the wax is! Wait a Minute! Am I being punked! 😁

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We’re having a rainy weather pattern over and over. Good time time to detail things I don’t clean every time I do my cars. A few months ago a spent multiple hours cleaning the engine compartments. It paid off, refreshing them was easy.
910AB319-6C7B-45AA-85DB-786FB2CC3329.jpeg
61036BFC-FC35-4AA3-AD57-8DD14DFDC704.jpeg
BF72DD3D-AF85-486E-993C-4B09A493B30B.jpeg
D4120285-1AF2-4C9B-8676-185EA7A480D3.jpeg
64A1D7D7-9E7B-4537-BB40-7E9E4C1BFAFE.jpeg
65BB78FD-037B-4C3F-A791-B361DBC1B102.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: