MC Sheen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT - Shadow Black
Hi everyone,

I recently got new wheels that have a 73.1 mm hub bore. I got the Rovos Aluminum Hub Rings from American Muscle that go from the 70.5 mm inner diameter to the 73.1 mm outer diameter to keep the new wheels hub-centric. I put a bit of anti-seize on them and put the rings in the wheels with a 2x4 and rubber mallet.

When it came time to put the wheel on the car though, the wheel is thoroughly stuck. I can take them off, but they are not having a good time going on. I have several mm to go to get it on the car properly. I've tried hammering it on with a 2x4 and mallet, and gradually tightening the lug nuts to move it forward, both of which not seeming to work. Today is a pretty cold day where I am, so I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it (with the metal shrinking a bit and all).

Does anyone have any advice on what else I could try? Been going at this for over an hour and am running out of ideas.

Thanks.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Hi everyone,

I recently got new wheels that have a 73.1 mm hub bore. I got the Rovos Aluminum Hub Rings from American Muscle that go from the 70.5 mm inner diameter to the 73.1 mm outer diameter to keep the new wheels hub-centric. I put a bit of anti-seize on them and put the rings in the wheels with a 2x4 and rubber mallet.

When it came time to put the wheel on the car though, the wheel is thoroughly stuck. I can take them off, but they are not having a good time going on. I have several mm to go to get it on the car properly. I've tried hammering it on with a 2x4 and mallet, and gradually tightening the lug nuts to move it forward, both of which not seeming to work. Today is a pretty cold day where I am, so I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it (with the metal shrinking a bit and all).

Does anyone have any advice on what else I could try? Been going at this for over an hour and am running out of ideas.

Thanks.
Did you measure bore ID and centering ring OD with the caliper ? Would start with that - even $10 Harbor Freight one will work if you don't have on at home.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I would guess that if the centering ring needed to be hammered on the hub, it probably expanded in the process.

OP
OP
MC Sheen

MC Sheen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Looks like it is an issue with the rings themselves. I measured the hubs of the stock GT wheels, and they were 70.5 mm like expected. When I measured the aftermarket wheels, their hubs were 73.1 mm like expected. After I had put in the hub rings on the wheels, the bore in the wheels was reduced to 69.8-9 mm, which is probably why they are not going on well. I'm going to give it another go, but may have to buy some new plastic ones instead.

edit: mixed up the decimals.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
MC Sheen

MC Sheen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Well, I am dumb. After spending hours trying to get this to work, I took my calipers and measured everything.

Hub bore: 70.5 mm
Hub bore on stock GT wheels: 70.5 mm
Hubcentric rings: OD - 73.1 mm ID - 70.5 mm
Hub bore on aftermarket wheels: 72.4-5 mm

I took the manufacturer for their word that the wheel hub bore was 73.1 mm, and didn't measure the hub bore of the new wheels like y'all suggested. Lesson learned.

Time to order new aluminum hub rings...

DarrenMRRWheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
Double check the bolt circle as well. The only time we manufacture wheels to 72.56 is for BMW applications. Most other vehicle applications will be 73.1cb

OP
OP
MC Sheen

MC Sheen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
They were 5x4.5. I'm not sure why the bolt pattern is correct but the bore is not. I checked the manufacturer's website and it doesn't even look like they have different bore sizes for the wheel size I got (19x9.5 +35mm). I checked that the offset was correct on the wheel as well. I got ESR SR07's through Fitment Industries.
Sponsored