Sponsored

Gen 3 Coyote DI + Port injection: is it working?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Actually, when does the port injection work and when does the direct injection work? I'm sure there's a point when both are working too.
If I remember correctly, at idle it's only port injection. DI is introduced under power, as needed.
Sponsored

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
Yeah, maybe I should buy it. 0% APR and the comfort of knowing how the car was treated its whole life.
Yes and full warranty. Iā€™m not against buying used if there is real savings there but at the moment your trade has higher value than ever and used can be very close to new. Btw Iā€™m not considering adm over msrp as I wonā€™t buy from those dealers.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Yeah, maybe I should buy it. 0% APR and the comfort of knowing how the car was treated its whole life.
What spec?

I ordered a new Mach 1 from Granger for 2% under invoice. I think they offer 4% under for GT cars. I would not pay MSRP on the car, because at some point the market is going to return to normal. If you plan on holding on to the car for some time, and don't want to wait for used prices to normalize (I didn't), then ordered new is the way to go.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Yes and full warranty. Iā€™m not against buying used if there is real savings there but at the moment your trade has higher value than ever and used can be very close to new. Btw Iā€™m not considering adm over msrp as I wonā€™t buy from those dealers.
Usually value ought to drop my car's current value but once markets equalibriate, values may drop exponentially.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What spec?

I ordered a new Mach 1 from Granger for 2% under invoice. I think they offer 4% under for GT cars. I would not pay MSRP on the car, because at some point the market is going to return to normal. If you plan on holding on to the car for some time, and don't want to wait for used prices to normalize (I didn't), then ordered new is the way to go.
After destination and tech package, 40.4k It's a base model with the tech so 301a and whatever the Safe Smart package is. I want at least bigger wheels and a spoiler. Maybe GT350R wing.

Maybe it is a bad buy...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Usually value ought to drop my car's current value but once markets equalibriate, values may drop exponentially.
MAY being the key there. Plenty think the dealer model will change forever moving forward ie lower stock, more orders, fewer discounts on new, electrification, gas pricing and inflation are a few of the factors. All you can say for certain is what is happening right now. Future car market is a guess. I'm not saying all cars will appreciate or even mustangs but too many unknowns to say they will absolutely depreciate as fast as they did in the past.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAY being the key there. Plenty think the dealer model will change forever moving forward ie lower stock, more orders, fewer discounts on new, electrification, gas pricing and inflation are a few of the factors. All you can say for certain is what is happening right now. Future car market is a guess. I'm not saying all cars will appreciate or even mustangs but too many unknowns to say they will absolutely depreciate as fast as they did in the past.
Not that I would want to sell, more so if God forbiden I'm in an accident and then I come under if totaled, leaving me two car payments.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I'm going to assume the worst case scenario for ownership would be what it was like in 2018, i.e. most cars that are driven lose ~40-50% of their value over 5 years, with the highest loss being years 1-3. If that's not the case (and I'm betting it won't), I'll be pleasantly surprised when I trade up in a few years, but in either case I'll still be able to trade it in and get something else.

The key point to remember is all of these cars are wants, not needs, so budget accordingly. Basing your planning on your daily driver being an investment and not a depreciating asset would be dumb.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Run E85, less chance of carbon buildup ever happening.
Problem is E85 got stupid in the last few months. At least in my area. E85 use to be cheaper than 87 octane. It was close to 93 octane prices and had shortages. Thank goodness for flex tunes šŸ˜Š

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to assume the worst case scenario for ownership would be what it was like in 2018, i.e. most cars that are driven lose ~40-50% of their value over 5 years, with the highest loss being years 1-3. If that's not the case (and I'm betting it won't), I'll be pleasantly surprised when I trade up in a few years, but in either case I'll still be able to trade it in and get something else.

The key point to remember is all of these cars are wants, not needs, so budget accordingly. Basing your planning on your daily driver being an investment and not a depreciating asset would be dumb.
I think I shall agree with you and just get my car wrapped and detail the interior.

Sponsored

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Also 2018 had large mfg rebates, dealer discounts on large fleets of new on lots and low rates for long terms. Any car is a want vs mass transit if you need to see it that way. Supply and demand will ebb and flow and affect pricing as it does. No mechanical item (short of limited run collector cars)is likely to appreciate over time but there is a good chance a return to the old sales model won't happen(offering low ball auction pricing for trade, bait and switch with hidden fees at close). I bought mine from an out of town dealer mostly via email - they Brought it in from out of province-with trade value(double pre pandemic) and discount of 7g determined before I went in person to inspect, test drive, sign and take delivery. if dealers want to survive this is how they will need to operate in the future. Impulse buying an overpriced vehicle with a 10 year loan and dirt for trade needs to end.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I think I shall agree with you and just get my car wrapped and detail the interior.
If you think that makes financial sense you 100% should. I know many people are amazed at how much happier they are with their car after an actual in depth detailing.

That being said, you might get a quote from the big three (Carvana, Carmax, Vroom) on how much your 2016 is worth, and get a quote from Granger/Chapman on the cost of an equivalent MY '22. I believe Chapman offers no money down orders, so if the value delta between your car and a '22 is relatively low, it might be a really smart decision to upgrade to the younger car, knowing that if the value of your current trade tanks before the new one is built, you can opt out without losing anything. Again with my cars, I am trading in my 2016 MX-5 for potentially more than I paid for it 6 years ago to help pay for my Mach, which is a tremendous bargain that I absolutely could not have taken advantage of in 2019.

Also 2018 had large mfg rebates, dealer discounts on large fleets of new on lots and low rates for long terms. Any car is a want vs mass transit if you need to see it that way. Supply and demand will ebb and flow and affect pricing as it does. No mechanical item (short of limited run collector cars)is likely to appreciate over time but there is a good chance a return to the old sales model won't happen(offering low ball auction pricing for trade, bait and switch with hidden fees at close). I bought mine from an out of town dealer mostly via email - they Brought it in from out of province-with trade value(double pre pandemic) and discount of 7g determined before I went in person to inspect, test drive, sign and take delivery. if dealers want to survive this is how they will need to operate in the future. Impulse buying an overpriced vehicle with a 10 year loan and dirt for trade needs to end.
I meant these cars are a want, in that you can buy a new or used Honda/Toyota for markedly less that will last you potentially decades.

As far as dealers....no offense to the few good ones like Chapman/Granger, but the dealership model needs to die. The ridiculous ADMs we have seen this past year I think will go a long way to making the general public even more hostile to dealers, which in combination with the new electric carmakers (Tesla, Rivian) looking to circumvent state laws requiring the dealership, should finally kill off the traditional dealers, which honestly, good riddance.

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda
So there have to be plenty of 2018s that have accumulated some significant mileage by now. Do we know if the supplemental port injection is helping prevent the direct injection "valve crud" issue or should we be socking away some cash for an inevitable walnut shell blasting treatment?

In case you've ben living under a rock and don't know about the potential for mechanical heartache here, behold this repulsive looking Audi valve :D
Apologies to anyone who was eating when they saw this pic:

Audi vale.png
Looks like dirty Hershey kiss

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Problem is E85 got stupid in the last few months. At least in my area. E85 use to be cheaper than 87 octane. It was close to 93 octane prices and had shortages. Thank goodness for flex tunes šŸ˜Š
Still is cheaper than 87 in my area.
Sponsored