Sponsored

Gen 3 Coyote DI + Port injection: is it working?

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
So there have to be plenty of 2018s that have accumulated some significant mileage by now. Do we know if the supplemental port injection is helping prevent the direct injection "valve crud" issue or should we be socking away some cash for an inevitable walnut shell blasting treatment?

In case you've ben living under a rock and don't know about the potential for mechanical heartache here, behold this repulsive looking Audi valve :D
Apologies to anyone who was eating when they saw this pic:

Audi vale.png
Sponsored

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I bought a complete 2019 GT 5.0 engine from a totaled Mustang. It had 11K miles on it. I am doing a build (hard time getting some upgraded internals lately due to Covid).

I was amazed at how clean the intake valves were. Virtually no carbon build up. So based on my observations, yes, the DI - Port system works very well.

Stop saving your money for something I doubt you'll need. Ford did a really awesome job of engineering this powerplant.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
I bought a complete 2019 GT 5.0 engine from a totaled Mustang. It had 11K miles on it. I am doing a build (hard time getting some upgraded internals lately due to Covid).

I was amazed at how clean the intake valves were. Virtually no carbon build up. So based on my observations, yes, the DI - Port system works very well.

Stop saving your money for something I doubt you'll need. Ford did a really awesome job of engineering this powerplant.
This is great news. While no current engine would be debilitated by carbon by 11k, I'm pretty sure you would at least see the start of buildup.

Was there any evidence that this motor was running a catch can?

Good luck with your build!!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
This is the exact reason why Toyota never went full DI yet Honda has been full DI for a while now and don't have carbon buildup issues. I can't find any threads about them. Carbon issues plagued the VW/Audi space early on real bad. I think the other manufacturers learned from their mistakes. Mazda is also running full DI and I still don't see carbon buildup issues of people complaining since they introduced the Skyactiv engine.

Camaros and Corvettes on the other hand..... Seen plenty of high mileage ones that need walnut blasted.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It is only my personal belief, but somewhat regular heavy throttle loads up to WOT means more fuel to clean the backside of the valve.

Based on what I see, I doubt even at 100K miles, there would not be a significant build up in a 5.0 with DI-Port. Nothing even remotely close to the one in your pic.

Sponsored

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
Just look at your tail pipes....mine are spotless at 10K unlike many DI cars out there. I do not know when the switch over between the two injection systems happens but at WOT, the DI must be fully operational.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
It is only my personal belief, but somewhat regular heavy throttle loads up to WOT means more fuel to clean the backside of the valve.
Actually, when does the port injection work and when does the direct injection work? I'm sure there's a point when both are working too.

Sponsored

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I guess my only concern then is actually buying. Cars depreciate so much, especially in the first two years.
Not anymore 😂

I doubt things will be back to true normal for the next two years

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Not anymore 😂

I doubt things will be back to true normal for the next two years
Yeah, maybe I should buy it. 0% APR and the comfort of knowing how the car was treated its whole life.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Run E85, less chance of carbon buildup ever happening.
Sponsored